Wifi Performance Benchmark test

@lex

2.4ghz - yes a mess in my area too.  But mostly from neighbors who figure out how to change channels, and putting theirs "in between" two others which appears to be vacant.  Causing major sideband interference to other users on either side!

It's too hard to tell them that the system was designed to have channels on top of each other in congested areas, and be better off without sideband interference.  Oh well.

One thing I can do is identify carriers in use by things that don't actually transmit much data - like wireless printers, and put my carrier on top of those.

Anyway, made the switch to 5ghz years back and it's so much nicer.  But still, if you have a preference, and see ID's that are obviously wireless printers and such, those are good targets while still being "neighborly" to them.

39 minutes ago, SUNDraK said:

do have good build in wifi?

You can find decent WiFi in modern boards based around RK3399. Nanopi M4 for example. Also not that bad: OrangePi 3, Lite2.

Benchmarking 2.4GHz - might add that the AP side is also important.

Since we're in a price sensitive category - I've found the GL-Inet AR300M to be a decent point of reference for the 802.11n 2*2:2 stream config. It's fairly cost friendly, and it runs openwrt with the ath9k drivers, so fairly sorted out and stable. It's the ath9k driver that makes this box a win.

Some of the newer consumer AP's - they try to do non-standard 802.11ac things in 2.4 (802.11ac is official only for 5GHz), and I've seen numerous interop issues across vendors.