Le Potato Up and Running

CaptManiac

I'm not sure what you're asking, I'm assuming you want me to reboot with the KVM plugged into LePotato, then ssh into it from another PC, and run that command?  I didn't get the part about "or use the uart"

FYI, if I run it now (with the KVM plugged in and working) I get /var/log/armhwinfo.log had been uploaded to http://sprunge.us/fjQM

I assume there's no cut-n-paste in this terminal emulator?

I just fired up the 171014 desktop nightly. No video on a DVI monitor even when I unplug replug. The c2_init.sh isn't helping either.  Worked on the 171013 one.  Is that because this one is 4.13 instead of 3.14? I notice it's doing the blue light heartbeat too. 

Strange, quick look and I didn't see anything.  Do you have another monitor to try, I just booted that image without issue, going through the initial login now.

[edit]

Power cycling still yields a working desktop, my dmesg and lsmod match yours.

Please share the results of:

export XAUTHORITY=/home/$USER/.Xauthority
export DISPLAY=:0
xrandr

The output of mine for example:

Monitor 1 plugged in:

root@lepotato:~# xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 3840 x 2160
Composite-1 connected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
   720x576i      50.00
   720x480i      59.94
HDMI-1 connected 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 477mm x 268mm
   1920x1080     60.00*+
   1280x720      60.00
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monitor 2 plugged in:

Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 3840 x 2160
Composite-1 connected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
   720x576i      50.00
   720x480i      59.94
HDMI-1 connected 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 608mm x 345mm
   1920x1080     60.00*   50.00    30.00    24.00
   1280x720      60.00    50.00
   720x576       50.00
   720x480       59.94

On two monitors I got this exactly.  Replugging and rerunning the exports and xrandr produced the same also.  The both work fine for everything else also and I use that same hdmi to dvi cable for my RPi 3.

xrandr: Output HDMI-1 is not disconnected but has no modes
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 720 x 576, maximum 3840 x 2160
Composite-1 connected 720x576+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 0mm x 0mm
   720x576i      50.00*
   720x480i      59.94
HDMI-1 connected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
root@lepotato:~#

Interesting. 

You only have to do the export once in a session, it's so you can reference the displays via the console.  My "monitor 1" is an hdmi --> DVI adapter on the end of an hdmi cable, so unless the cables are strange I'm not sure.

The Arm Trusted Firmware memory issue will not be fixed in the 4.14 LTS kernel, which is a bit curious, it's a pretty significant flaw and renders the Meson-GXL family of boards to be little more than paperweights.  I glazed over the bit where it's queued for 4.15.  Glad I didn't hold off patching Dev. @balbes150 might be interested in this as well.  It's a small patch, so not a terrible tragedy, unless you don't know it exists...

While doing testing I came across a weird behavior:  it will shutdown with the command: halt , but it will reboot with "init 0"

Welcome to ARMBIAN 5.34.171104 nightly Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS 4.13.11-meson64

I think here it still worked as it should, but since I updated to:

Welcome to ARMBIAN 5.34.171121 nightly Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS 4.13.14-meson64

And also a fresh install apt update /upgrade it will reboot with: init 0

Welcome to ARMBIAN 5.35 user-built Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch) 4.14.2-meson64

System diagnosis information will now be uploaded to http://sprunge.us/DXjB
Please post the URL in the forum where you've been asked for.

This was only visible via UART

Spoiler

[  OK  ] Stopped target Encrypted Volumes.                                                                                          
[  OK  ] Stopped Forward Password Requests to Wall Directory Watch.                                                                 
[  OK  ] Stopped Dispatch Password Requests to Console Directory Watch.                                                             
[  OK  ] Stopped Load/Save Random Seed.                                                                                             
[  OK  ] Stopped Restore / save the current clock.                                                                                  
[  OK  ] Stopped Update UTMP about System Boot/Shutdown.                                                                            
[  OK  ] Stopped Create Volatile Files and Directories.                                                                             
[  OK  ] Unmounted /var/log.                                                                                                        
[  OK  ] Deactivated swap /var/swap.                                                                                                
[  OK  ] Unmounted /var/log.hdd.                                                                                                    
[  OK  ] Stopped Armbian enhanced Log2Ram.                                                                                          
[  OK  ] Stopped ifup for eth0.                                                                                                     
[  OK  ] Stopped target Local File Systems.                                                                                         
         Unmounting /run/user/0...                                                                                                  
         Unmounting /tmp...                                                                                                         
[  OK  ] Stopped Apply Kernel Variables.                                                                                            
[  OK  ] Stopped Load Kernel Modules.                                                                                               
[  OK  ] Unmounted /run/user/0.                                                                                                     
[  OK  ] Unmounted /tmp.                                                                                                            
[  OK  ] Reached target Unmount All Filesystems.                                                                                    
[  OK  ] Stopped target Local File Systems (Pre).                                                                                   
[  OK  ] Stopped Remount Root and Kernel File Systems.                                                                              
[  OK  ] Stopped Create Static Device Nodes in /dev.                                                                                
[  OK  ] Reached target Shutdown.                                                                                                   
[  234.817510] reboot: Power down                                                                                                   
bl31 reboot reason: 0x8                                                                                                             
bl31 reboot reason: 0x8                                                                                                             
system cmd  0.                                                                                                                      
bl30 get wakeup sources!       

with the halt command:

Spoiler

[  OK  ] Stopped target Encrypted Volumes.
[  OK  ] Stopped Dispatch Password Requests to Console Directory Watch.
[  OK  ] Stopped Forward Password Requests to Wall Directory Watch.
         Stopping Restore / save the current clock...
[  OK  ] Stopped target Swap.
         Deactivating swap /var/swap...
         Stopping Update UTMP about System Boot/Shutdown...
         Stopping Armbian enhanced Log2Ram...
[  OK  ] Stopped Load/Save Random Seed.
[  OK  ] Stopped Restore / save the current clock.
[  OK  ] Deactivated swap /var/swap.
[  OK  ] Stopped Update UTMP about System Boot/Shutdown.
[  OK  ] Stopped Create Volatile Files and Directories.
[  OK  ] Unmounted /var/log.
[  OK  ] Unmounted /var/log.hdd.
[  OK  ] Stopped Armbian enhanced Log2Ram.
[  OK  ] Stopped ifup for eth0.
[  OK  ] Stopped Apply Kernel Variables.
[  OK  ] Stopped Load Kernel Modules.
[  OK  ] Stopped target Local File Systems.
         Unmounting /tmp...
         Unmounting /run/user/0...
[  OK  ] Unmounted /tmp.
[  OK  ] Unmounted /run/user/0.
[  OK  ] Reached target Unmount All Filesystems.
[  OK  ] Stopped target Local File Systems (Pre).
[  OK  ] Stopped Create Static Device Nodes in /dev.
[  OK  ] Stopped Remount Root and Kernel File Systems.
[  OK  ] Reached target Shutdown.
[  203.685417] reboot: System halted

The red LED does not go off.

Edited by Tido
added codebox

To my knowledge this has always been the case. 

I'm looking into whether or not this is bootloader related I think the C2 was doing something similar?, as for the light:

The Red LED does not appear to be software controlled from the schematics.  DC-in goes through what I think is a reverse voltage/backfeed protection circuit and then through a step-down to 3.3V feeding the diode. No software intervention.

15 hours ago, TonyMac32 said:

whether or not this is bootloader related

Interesting, I thought technically 'halt' vs 'init 0' vs 'shutdown -P now' are equal.

15 hours ago, TonyMac32 said:

No software intervention

U6 SY8120B1ABC --> VDDIO_AO3.3V --> red LED --> 240 Ohm --> GND on schematics page 3 down right corner.

Whereas green (GPIODV_24(PU)) and blue (GPIO15) have a transistor in between.
I have removed the SDcard and powered it. The blue and the red lit up - why the blue?

blue LED GPIO15:
SoC --> GPIOAO_2 (UART_CTS_AO_A // UART_CTS_AO_B)
40Pin Connector--> I2SOUT-CH67

After seeing your changes I thought I give it an update, followed by init 6, reboot works, followed by init 0 ... hmmm LEDs still as bright as it gets ..  is this an error... ah no, I try halt. That worked.

Init 0:

[ 234.817510] reboot: Power down  (and then it reboots)

halt:

[ 203.685417] reboot: System halted  (properly shuts down)

Init is the runlevel, does this finally trigger the 'halt' command ? https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/8694

My comments here is from real frustration, SO PLEASE excuse my being very direct.  I have several RPi 3's  2 Asus TinkerPi. and several OrangePi 2 plus. and now also the LePotato.   I do really appreciate the work folk working on OS's for these,  It is indeed a lot of really great work, especially with the very flakey OrangePi's , power supply issues etc etc.  Ok, NOW for give me for this. I started with RPi's , they boot to an initial screen that has "boarder" and have you setup to be compatible relative to overscan - Monitor/HDMI    As I am sure YOU ALL are aware.  IF this is NOT first addressed. that which is to be displayed is off the left side of the screen.  Most, in-fact all of the monitors I own do NOT have and adjustment/setting to change the overscan settings.  I have a several large screen TV's which do let you change this attribute.  But connecting my wall mounted 55"  TV is not very  practical.    

Yes, I am aware of xrandr.  EDID, h3disp etc. etc. and I have ended up wading through trying to change one of these once I finally get in inspite now seeing the beginning of the Terminal Lines .  Yes, I am aware of Armbian Config - once you get it. and that it only works if you establish a root login.  Which is a bitch to do when you can't see the text at the beginning of the prompt.  OK,  hope you don't think I am totally ignorant on this, -- even if I am.  
Now:   PLEASE,   PLEASE,  PLEASE  -  the default setting should be such that the display - on initial boot, MUST be changed so that ALL of the HDMI  output is  displayed on a typical monitor (which does NOT have overscan setting options)   

Thank you for your understanding. and hopefully help -   

I suggest you take a lesson from Raspberry Pi

Thanks again.

Richard

I know,  and use  SSH to go into a server for standard work.  I use putty and have for years to go into www.itu-int.us.  My server for this is Centos.   It is an interface for a server in Geneva.

There is a bit of Chicken/Egg issue for me at the moment.  I am on the road, at daughters beach place, for several weeks (fixing some things for her) so limited resources for MY project.  No Ethernet access,  LePotato doesn't have Wifi,  Panda doesn't work.  etc. etc.   I  wish I had brought along several other items, but I didn't .

About asking,  some folks are too proud to ask anything, not me,  I read/google etc. try "thoughts" that I see.  MOST post about this seem to be over a year old - some progress must have been made - etc.  So I ask.

If you want to help - I would appreciate that.   If  NOT you are of course welcome to ignore me.  

I picked trying Armbian as it seemed to support and advocate - armbian-config .  I am  working with Armbian 5.8 Stable

This seemed like a great way to iniially setup etc.  basic things.  

Unfortunately - when you use it to edit HDMI resolution, Mouse size etc etc. nothing changes.  Even if directly logged in as root!

Last night I found a small TV at Kmart for $88. that I could set to accommodate the overscan issue.  The TV solves this for the moment but it otherwise really sucks!    

I would be NICE to change the mouse icon size.  ( I have don't this on RPi, OrangePi,  TinkerPi etc. but those methods don't work here.  - and Armbian doesn't change ti either,   It seems size is set at boot, and Armbian-config does not change the file where it is set, and that is actually viewed to ultimately set the size.  _  I think this many be true for the overscan issuse as well.?

Actually,  More important -  any ideas on getting Panda  WiFi dongle working?   

Then I can do  update and upgrade etc. and then install other needed items.   

Thanks,   for any help.   

Richard

On 3/16/2018 at 11:47 AM, richard1937 said:

I know,  and use  SSH to go into a server for standard work.  I use putty and have for years to go into www.itu-int.us.  My server for this is Centos.   It is an interface for a server in Geneva.

There is a bit of Chicken/Egg issue for me at the moment.  I am on the road, at daughters beach place, for several weeks (fixing some things for her) so limited resources for MY project.  No Ethernet access,  LePotato doesn't have Wifi,  Panda doesn't work.  etc. etc.   I  wish I had brought along several other items, but I didn't .

About asking,  some folks are too proud to ask anything, not me,  I read/google etc. try "thoughts" that I see.  MOST post about this seem to be over a year old - some progress must have been made - etc.  So I ask.

If you want to help - I would appreciate that.   If  NOT you are of course welcome to ignore me.  

I picked trying Armbian as it seemed to support and advocate - armbian-config .  I am  working with Armbian 5.8 Stable

This seemed like a great way to iniially setup etc.  basic things.  

Unfortunately - when you use it to edit HDMI resolution, Mouse size etc etc. nothing changes.  Even if directly logged in as root!

Last night I found a small TV at Kmart for $88. that I could set to accommodate the overscan issue.  The TV solves this for the moment but it otherwise really sucks!    

I would be NICE to change the mouse icon size.  ( I have don't this on RPi, OrangePi,  TinkerPi etc. but those methods don't work here.  - and Armbian doesn't change ti either,   It seems size is set at boot, and Armbian-config does not change the file where it is set, and that is actually viewed to ultimately set the size.  _  I think this many be true for the overscan issuse as well.?

Actually,  More important -  any ideas on getting Panda  WiFi dongle working?   

Then I can do  update and upgrade etc. and then install other needed items.   

Thanks,   for any help.   

Richard

Run `lsusb` so we know what chipset is in the Panda wifi device. It's probably a kernel module issue.

Mainline linux display mode code was just merged into 4.17. It will take a while for it to land in Armbian.

1 hour ago, Da Xue said:

Mainline linux display mode code was just merged into 4.17. It will take a while for it to land in Armbian.

My intention, and I think Igor agrees, is to go LTS kernel to LTS kernel.  It is possible to build a current "bleeding edge" mainline if you have the means to do it yourself, the "Dev branch is current.

@Igor, the vendor kernel (vendor being Libre Computer) in this case is 4.14, should we make that "default" for this board?  Especially since, IMHO, @balbes150 has provided the definitive guide and images to run the 3.14 on anything with an s905(x) adequately using his fork.  "Next" then could be a current mainline image that we're comfortable with. 

1 minute ago, TonyMac32 said:

should we make that "default" for this board? 

... and K2, while Odroid C2 has it's own defaults anyway. Than Odroid C2 4.14.y "next" goes to meson64-default. Sleepover, then just do it?

6 hours ago, TonyMac32 said:

@Igor Quick concern I thought of, people running "Next" currently would probably get automatically (and possibly unwantedly) updated to 4.16.

Then better just leave as is for next couple of months. Another alternative is to move NEXT to default and operate only default and dev for some time?

I could put this up for discussion on the Facebook group and see.  I know we don't want to interrupt the stream, but we're still getting people showing up with 4.13 kernels, so...

Let's wait for 4.16 to be released, see how stable the result is and go from there.

@tkaiser sorry about the delay, I lost track of this with all the other stuff going on.  No, I'm not getting anything on a new build.

root@lepotato:~# cat /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/temp1_input

works, but the soctemp entry in datasources does not exist.

This one was built off of the master branch with the recent syncs, armhwinfo looks to have the above commit in it.