3 3
TonyMac32

Le Potato general topics

On 2/13/2018 at 4:45 AM, Tido said:

I can confirm the green = Link is dead.  Ethernet 10/100M (ETH MDI diff x 2)

Ethernet-Port on the schematic is on sheet 7,

GPIOZ_14 (SPDIF_IN // ETH_LINK_LED)  -  P20 -
GPIOZ_15 (PWM_C // ETH_ACT_LED)  -  P19 -

not really, I think they forgot to connect the green LED :rolleyes:,  the part 5J1 is the Single Port Connector with Magnetics Module and LED and refers to:

HY911105H  https://aw-som.com/product_info.php?products_id=54

HR911105A  http://www.datasheetmeta.com/search.php?q=HR911105A

@Da Xue, can you check whether the green LED (pin 9+10) is only missing in the schematics or did you forget to connect it ?

They weren't connected due to an placement issue we had. This will be addressed in the next manufacturing batch.

From the Facebook users group, a general hardware note, when using expansion boards with Le Potato, be certain to use nylon standoffs.  One of the A/V connector pads is encroaching on the space for the mounting hole, creating a potential risk of a short if using metal ones, depending on the expansion board (By spec they should have a large keep-out zone as well, but it can't be assumed).

I just got my lepotato up and running with Armbian and I have a noobish question. Does this board need a heatsink or fan or am I ok to run it without? Does the board automatically throttle performance if it starts getting too hot to allow itself to cool down?

5 hours ago, datsuns said:

I just got my lepotato up and running with Armbian and I have a noobish question. Does this board need a heatsink or fan or am I ok to run it without? Does the board automatically throttle performance if it starts getting too hot to allow itself to cool down?

The ARM Trusted Firmware will automatically throttle the cores if the chip gets too hot to prevent damage. However, it is recommended to have a heatsink for best performance.

Aside from the difference in memory (1GB/2GB), are there any other hardware differences between the two LePotato models?

If I am using the LePotato for CPU intensive work that is not at all memory intensive can I expect similar performance between the two boards?

I'm finding that my LePotato is resetting it's IP address on reboot. Is this normal behavior for this board and/or Armbian? Is there a way to stop that from happening?

This is normal in the way, that ARM chips do not come with a MAC-Address. If you want to set your MAC-Address go to /etc/network/interfaces and 'uncomment' hwaddress. Ask google for more details ;-)

11 hours ago, Tido said:

Address go to /etc/network/interfaces and 'uncomment' hwaddress. Ask google for more details ;-)

I was able to source some info from googling but it's for other linux distros. The total contents of my interfaces file looks like this now:

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

auto eth0

iface eth0 inet manual

hwaddress ether DE:DE:DE:DE:DE:01

After my first reboot if I scan for IPs I do get one with that MAC address. Then when I connect to it and reboot again I end up with a new MAC address and IP. My goal is to permanently set the MAC address and get a consistent IP address to connect to as well. If the IP changes occasionally that isn't a problem but I don't want it to reset on every reboot.

For my application, my LePotato is outperforming my raspberry pi 3bs and 3b+ by a very large margin. All my pis are running pi64 lite so maybe some of the gains are being realized by running armbian instead but I am very impressed with the LePotato so far. Is there any other SBC that does even better around the $35 price point or is the LePotato leading the pack right now? My application is CPU intensive and not memory intensive.

Yeah my name is definitely a reference to Datsun vehicles. I own several of them and a few Nissan's too.

Based on your posts around the forum you seem like you're a fan of the Amlogic stuff.  Is Le Potato at the forefront power-wise around the $35 price point or is there something comparable? The rockchip devices all seem to be significantly above that price.

1 hour ago, datsuns said:

Is Le Potato at the forefront power-wise around the $35 price point or is there something comparable?

http://www.friendlyarm.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=69&product_id=206 (read the reviews there, especially from Willy Tarreau who explains how to get all 8 cores running at 1.6 GHz. He's also the one who discovered Amlogic cheating on us wrt fake clockspeeds 2 years ago)

With Amlogic there's nothing comparable at the moment (the S912 is an 1.2 GHz SoC) and also as usual they cheat on us wrt clockspeeds (it's not related to throttling or thermal protection, it's just a firmware blob loaded on the embedded M3 core controlling cpufreq/DVFS and doing 'magic things' not under our control using whatever clockspeeds it wants and reporting bogus values back to the kernel)

9 hours ago, tkaiser said:

http://www.friendlyarm.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=69&product_id=206 (read the reviews there, especially from Willy Tarreau who explains how to get all 8 cores running at 1.6 GHz. He's also the one who discovered Amlogic cheating on us wrt fake clockspeeds 2 years ago)

With Amlogic there's nothing comparable at the moment (the S912 is an 1.2 GHz SoC) and also as usual they cheat on us wrt clockspeeds (it's not related to throttling or thermal protection, it's just a firmware blob loaded on the embedded M3 core controlling cpufreq/DVFS and doing 'magic things' not under our control using whatever clockspeeds it wants and reporting bogus values back to the kernel) 

Wow this board looks really promising. And the form-factor is so tiny! I will definitely order one for testing - thanks so much for the info!

On 5/3/2018 at 10:08 AM, datsuns said:

I was able to source some info from googling but it's for other linux distros. The total contents of my interfaces file looks like this now:

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

auto eth0

iface eth0 inet manual

hwaddress ether DE:DE:DE:DE:DE:01

After my first reboot if I scan for IPs I do get one with that MAC address. Then when I connect to it and reboot again I end up with a new MAC address and IP. My goal is to permanently set the MAC address and get a consistent IP address to connect to as well. If the IP changes occasionally that isn't a problem but I don't want it to reset on every reboot.

Eventually the changes above to my interfaces file did have the effect of setting the MAC address and getting a consistent IP address upon reboot of the device. For the first couple of reboots it was inconsistent but now it is. I can't explain this specific behavior but I'm happy it is working now.

38 minutes ago, constantius said:

someone had written about it but i cant find it

normally such threads ends here

due to crappy PSU, crappy SD-Card or crappy way of writing the image to the SD-Card...

i have build armbian 5.46 ubuntu bionic. I have one issue.  System is running till next boot. On the next boot i have black screen. Sd-card is good. I build debian 9 armbian 5.46 and its working.  Power supplied  also is good.