Looking for an enclosure for espressobin

arm-push

4 minutes ago, arm-push said:

Actually what I ordered has only 2 SATA ports

Obviously based on ASM1061/ASM1062. If it looks exactly like the one I bought -- see picture below -- then due to placement of the SATA connectors you won't be able to use it on EspressoBin.

Clearfog_ASM1062_-Marvell_88SE9215.jpg

On a related note: I'm going to throw my ASM1062 into the bin soon since both SATA ports are unreliable (contact problems after maybe 10 matings each) and I get always tons of errors as soon as I attach disks there and run something demanding. That's something we should always keep in mind. We're talking about internal SATA connectors here, those are rated for 50 matings max and the cheap crap we buy on Aliexpress and eBay can't withstand even this and might fail way earlier.

7 minutes ago, tkaiser said:

Obviously based on ASM1061/ASM1062. If it looks exactly like the one I bought -- see picture below -- then due to placement of the SATA connectors you won't be able to use it on EspressoBin.

Reveal hidden contents

Clearfog_ASM1062_-Marvell_88SE9215.jpg

On a related note: I'm going to throw my ASM1062 into the bin soon since both SATA ports are unreliable (contact problems after maybe 10 matings each) and I get always tons of errors as soon as I attach disks there and run something demanding. That's something we should always keep in mind. We're talking about internal SATA connectors here, those are rated for 50 matings max and the cheap crap we buy on Aliexpress and eBay can't withstand even this and might fail way earlier.

Thanks @tkaiser

yeah, It's a ASM061. I don't expect much from it. My main disk already attached to the on board SATA port. Other disks which I'm going to use for backup purposes will be attached to this.

Mini-PCIe-PCI-Express-to-2-Ports-SATA-3-

On 12/20/2017 at 2:13 PM, tkaiser said:

I would probably follow the GnuBee design https://forum.openmediavault.org/index.php/Thread/20053 

The GnuBee design for multiple hard disks is very interesting. I hope they are using two O-rings for each screw on both sides of the metal housing to dampen transmission of vibrations to the other disks.

Is it anyway a good idea to stack hard disks this way (on top of each other) or would it be better to operate them side-by-side (running hard disks are exposed to the static magnetic fields created by the other hard disks) ? 

2 hours ago, arm-push said:

Getting an error once I attach disk. I have posted the information here

I have ordered a Marvel 88SE9215 based controller on aliexpress - that one is known to work (see link posted by @tkaiser).

Will be tested with external 2.5" drives in an ICY DOCK MB994SP-4SB-1.

Only a small modification to the backplane of the EspressoBin enclosure will be necessary to loop through 4 SATA cables.

23 minutes ago, ebin-dev said:

I have ordered a Marvel 88SE9215 based controller on aliexpress - that one is known to work (see link posted by @tkaiser).

Only a small modification to the backplane of the EspressoBin enclosure will be necessary to loop through 4 SATA cables.

I was going to buy that. But bought the ASM one because it was the cheapest one.

I should've thought more seriously about the "Buy cheap, buy twice" slogan. :angry:

On 12/22/2017 at 5:48 PM, ebin-dev said:

@ebin-dev,

have you received the controller or still waiting?

7 minutes ago, arm-push said:

have you received the controller or still waiting?

It just arrived today (within 2 weeks) - it came with 4 SATA cables but without the two screws necessary to fix it to the SBC.

I`ll let you know once I receive some news from the manufacturer of the enclosure (may be at the end of next week).

13 minutes ago, ebin-dev said:

It just arrived today (within 2 weeks) - it came with 4 SATA cables but without the two screws necessary to fix it to the SBC.

I`ll let you know once I receive some news from the manufacturer of the enclosure (may be at the end of next week).

Perfect. Thanks for the update @ebin-dev

I'm also going to buy the same mpcie card soon, but waiting for your feedback on how it's going to work with espressobin.

On 1/3/2018 at 6:47 PM, arm-push said:

I'm also going to buy the same mpcie card soon, but waiting for your feedback on how it's going to work with espressobin.

I can confirm that the 4 Port SATA III 6G Mini PCI Express Marvel 88SE9215 Controller Card is working out of the box with EspressoBin. It is the same as this one known to work and tested by Igor (results for EspressoBin).

It is possible to use the mPCIe card inside the enclosure and loop through the 4 SATA cables to an external backplane - but then the internal 2.5" drive has to be removed from the enclosure of the EspressoBin due to space constraints. In that case it still can be used externally as a 5th drive if needed.

1 hour ago, ebin-dev said:

I can confirm that the 4 Port SATA III 6G Mini PCI Express Marvel    Controller Card is working out of the box with EspressoBin. It is the same as this one known to work and tested by Igor (results for EspressoBin).

It is possible to use the mPCIe card inside the enclosure and loop through the 4 SATA cables to an external backplane - but then the internal 2.5" drive has to be removed from the enclosure of the EspressoBin due to space constraints. In that case it still can be used externally as a 5th drive if needed.

Thanks for the update @ebin-dev

just out of curiosity, how is the heat dissipation of the card? tkaiser had mentioned here that this chip gets very hot.

Will this need a small fan inside the enclosure?

15 hours ago, arm-push said:

just out of curiosity, how is the heat dissipation of the card? tkaiser had mentioned here that this chip gets very hot.

Will this need a small fan inside the enclosure?

Thanks for the hint. The observation of @tkaiser is absolutely true: In idle mode the heat sink of the mPCIe card has a temperature of at least 60°C (even with the enclosure partly opened).

From my perspective that is actually a show-stopper - the mPCIe card can't be used in a passively cooled enclosure.

On 1/5/2018 at 7:21 PM, ebin-dev said:

I can confirm that the 4 Port SATA III 6G Mini PCI Express Marvel 88SE9215 Controller Card is working out of the box with EspressoBin. It is the same as this one known to work and tested by Igor (results for EspressoBin).

Hi there. I have exactly the same card as you have but mine doesn't work. Actually I have 2 of those cards and 2 espressobins. No combination of devices works for me.

espressobin's ubuntu 16.04 does work fine.

I'm using armbian next. And getting kernel panics when the sata card is attached.

already did some fiddling around with kernel compiling. I thought that the kernel was missing the mv_sata module. That didn't help.

Which armbian version are you using?

Thanks,

udo.

On 5/4/2018 at 4:07 AM, Pavel Odintsov said:

Hello!

Do you have any progress with this box? I’m looking for box for EspressoBin and would buy

some of you can sell them ;) 

How about getting this 3D Files and let them print and then adding a own cut out for the fan?
https://upon2020.com/blog/2017/12/3d-printable-box-for-the-espressobin-plus-a-hard-disk/
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2707086

On 5/4/2018 at 3:07 AM, Pavel Odintsov said:

Do you have any progress with this box?

Globalscale is offering plastic and metal housings for the EspressoBin now ( see here ).

They do not seem to use thermal coupling to the metal housing (separate heatsinks instead) - but you could implement it yourself with a suitable aluminium spacer.

On 12/20/2017 at 2:59 PM, arm-push said:

It's a ASM061.

Mini-PCIe-PCI-Express-to-2-Ports-SATA-3-

I had this adapter working for almost half a year, now it stops the whole board from working (suppose a power issue), makes a thin hissing noise. I wouldn't recommend it, even if it cost me less than 5€... It might work longer if operated with a heat sink though.