custom SKEL folders + selectable display manager

I made some changes in the build scripts and wanted to ask if some of you may find them useful...

• ability to use custom skel folder in /userpatches directory
  • support for xdm display manager (with graphical keyboard)
  • selectable display manager in expert mode (lightdm, xdm or nodm)

Especially the custom skel folder gives much more flexability for modders to generate images for wip or scs boards. I am currently testing different configurations, all seems good so far.

What do you think about these changes? Would a pull request make sense?

Here you go (clonable git url): https://code.nwrk.biz/armbian-giri.git

I tested everything I could test with an orangepizero and with the CSC topwise tablet.
Some background information: I am trying to make a custom image for my tablet with different packages (matchbox environment for touch mode, pseudo desktop environment using lwm, idesk and some other packages for desktop mode), this is why I need an custom skel folder for some preconfigured settings and scripts.

By the way, xdm can start a customized session with the help of an .xsession script in the users home directory.

Oh and I recognized, there are two kernel modules for the 8192cu wireless adapter. By default the image loaded the wrong one on my topwise board. (I thought I should mention this and don't expect any support here.)

Is it somehow possible to install packages from the apt.armbian.com repository with the build scripts? (I want to avoid cross compiling :D, Needed packages: libmali-sunxi-r3p0, libglshim)

EDIT1: To fix this wireless module issue, "depmod -a" needs to be executed.

On 07.10.2017 at 7:29 PM, giri@nwrk.biz said:

Oh and I recognized, there are two kernel modules for the 8192cu wireless adapter. By default the image loaded the wrong one on my topwise board. (I thought I should mention this and don't expect any support here.)

If you patch the kernel (throwing away the default 8192cu and adding a better one) and open a pull request it should be accepted without problems.

Is it somehow possible to install packages from the apt.armbian.com repository with the build scripts? (I want to avoid cross compiling :D, Needed packages: libmali-sunxi-r3p0, libglshim)

You need to either tweak their install conditions in packages/extras-buildpkgs/*.conf or add apt-get install ... commands to customize-image.sh, apt.armbian.com is configured at this point and existing packages should be pulled from it without issues.

EDIT1: To fix this wireless module issue, "depmod -a" needs to be executed.

Since we don't install kernel headers anymore by default, out of tree kernel modules will be dropped and ideally they should be included as kernel patches.

17 hours ago, zador.blood.stained said:

If you patch the kernel (throwing away the default 8192cu and adding a better one) and open a pull request it should be accepted without problems.

Ok I'll try to do that. But I am not sure if the default driver is faulty or if the problem is related to my hardware.

17 hours ago, zador.blood.stained said:

You need to either tweak their install conditions in packages/extras-buildpkgs/*.conf or add apt-get install ... commands to customize-image.sh, apt.armbian.com is configured at this point and existing packages should be pulled from it without issues.

I tried it by simply adding the packages to userpatches/lib.config, and it seemed to work (except for the libmali-sunxi-r3p0, but apt didn't really tell me why. I will look into that and try your suggestion with the customize-image.sh script).

There is one thing I recognized with the libglshim package. It installs the libraries to an 'lgshim' subdirectory but I think they should be installed to an 'mesa' subdirectory. I needed an symlink to get OpenGL based applications to work. But I am really impressed about the glshim performance :).

6 minutes ago, giri@nwrk.biz said:

Ok I'll try to do that. But I am not sure if the default driver is faulty or if the problem is related to my hardware.

Wireless drivers in 3.4.x are crappy in general, that's why there are out of tree alternatives (and we had this script for a while until we removed kernel headers from images).

6 minutes ago, giri@nwrk.biz said:

I tried it by simply adding the packages to userpatches/lib.config, and it seemed to work (except for the libmali-sunxi-r3p0, but apt didn't really tell me why.

Did it complain the the package could not be installed (like due to missing dependencies) or did it try to install it and failed in the process?

9 minutes ago, giri@nwrk.biz said:

There is one thing I recognized with the libglshim package. It installs the libraries to an 'lgshim' subdirectory but I think they should be installed to an 'mesa' subdirectory. I needed an symlink to get OpenGL based applications to work. But I am really impressed about the glshim performance :).

Installing glshim for all applications doesn't really work - it doesn't provide full OpenGL implementation so i.e. web browsers and other heavy applications will crash with it, and it's no a good thing.

It can (and should) be used with individual applications by adding the private directory to LD_LIBRARY_PATH (at the beginning), or by preloading a special library.

2 minutes ago, zador.blood.stained said:

Installing glshim for all applications doesn't really work - it doesn't provide full OpenGL implementation so i.e. web browsers and other heavy applications will crash with it, and it's no a good thing.

It can (and should) be used with individual applications by adding the private directory to LD_LIBRARY_PATH (at the beginning), or by preloading a special library.

Well this explains why parole stopped working with glshim. Thank you for pointing this out.

12 minutes ago, zador.blood.stained said:

In preinst or later? No error code? Did you modify /etc/armbian-release in any way?

No I did not modify /etc/armbian-release. I work within an ubuntu chroot, but I don't think this causes the error.
I just started a build and report the back the details when it fails.

1 hour ago, zador.blood.stained said:

In preinst or later? No error code? Did you modify /etc/armbian-release in any way?

The process fails with following error:

Processing triggers for systemd (229-4ubuntu19) ... 
Processing triggers for ureadahead (0.100.0-19) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:  /var/cache/apt/archives/libmali-sunxi-r3p0_1.0-1~armbian5.31+1_armhf.deb 
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

20 hours ago, zador.blood.stained said:

Any error or error-looking messages earlier?

I started a custom desktop build with a smaller set of packages so I do not have to scroll through the whole history.

Here is the error:

Preparing to unpack .../libmali-sunxi-r3p0_1.0-1~armbian5.31+1_armhf.deb ... 
Mali binary driver can be used only on sunxi hardware 
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/libmali-sunxi-r3p0_1.0-1~armbian5.31+1_armhf.deb (--unpack):  
  subprocess new pre-installation script returned error 
exit status 1 

Seems like the package checks the hardware during install...

Workaround could be to fetch the deb and manually unpack it with dpkg -x, I am not happy with that approach though.

Just now, giri@nwrk.biz said:

Seems like the package checks the hardware during install...

It checks /etc/armbian-release, but since you added it to the package list in lib.config it is installed too early, before the board support package (which contains the /etc/armbian-release file)

Installing it manually using apt-get in customize-image.sh should work fine.

On 12.10.2017 at 9:48 PM, zador.blood.stained said:

Little Update:
I replaced the kernel driver with the one from https://github.com/dz0ny/rt8192cu (->the one installed by the buid script) and found out, that this seems to be the faulty one! (Installed to /lib/modules/$VER-$LINUXFAMILY/kernel/net/wireless/ by default with the help of extras/rtl8192cu.sh, loaded at boot)! The stock driver from the linux-sunxi kernel (drivers/net/wireless/rtl8192cu) works without problems (Installed to /lib/modules/$VER-$LINUXFAMILY/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/ by default, not loaded at boot).

I should mention that I do have a internal wireless module.