Build for BPI M3

AaronNGray

BPi M2 is a A31S (quadcore) the M3 a A83T 8 (octacore).  So, probably not... Mainline status on A83T isn't amazing (ETH with 4.13 and SD/MMC and USB with 4.14, seems that there is some active development on this  SoC. ).. 

There's no image cause early stage of WIP (means: probably do not boot, not build etc.). To my knowledge nobody (from armbian) works on it at the moment, cause interest to work with this board is limited. 

btw. https://www.armbian.com/search_gcse/ is a good starting point for some research before post a new question ;)

8 hours ago, AaronNGray said:

Is there a build for the BPI M3 at all or is the M2 compatible ?

Neither/nor. Banana Pi M3 is a total fail, neither board vendor (!) nor community interested in improving the horrible software situation with this board.

1. The vendor's software offerings are a joke (3.4.39 kernel -- they're even too lazy to patch it up to latest 3.4.113 LTS kernel and also too lazy to fix common single line errors like http://igor2.repo.hu/tmp/opi_usb_gadget.txt that affect all their various code drops for all their various Allwinner boards)
  2. And linux-sunxi community who usually works on doing mainline kernel support more ore less ignores the SoC and the only (!) device based on it. I would believe your only hope is wens but I read recently in IRC he's not that active on A83T anyway (for example with mainline kernel this is still a single CPU SoC running at 1008 MHz or something like that)

Once 2. changes and there's reasonable upstream software support by linux-sunxi community we can rely on there will be an Armbian release for this board (since we wasted already insane amounts of time dealing with this hardware). Time estimate: maybe 2019 if things progress that 'fast' as they currently do.