opensuse on pine64 - scaling_max_freq

Leomania

Hello,

I'm picking up my pine64 SBC for the first time in a long while. I want to have an always-on linux system for some home projects and this board ought to work nicely as I don't need any desktop running on it. Looking over the OS images available I decided to give opensuse a try; got it installed and running with no trouble. But it seems the 1.344GHz max speed of the board can't be enabled on this build, as the scaling_max_freq is set to 1.152GHz and no amount of "cpupower frequency-set -g ondemand -u 1344000" will convince it to go above 1.152GHz. I can go lower, just not higher.

pine64:~ # cpupower frequency-set -g ondemand -u 1104000
Setting cpu: 0
Setting cpu: 1
Setting cpu: 2
Setting cpu: 3
pine64:~ # cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor 
ondemand
pine64:~ # cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
pine64:~ # cpupower frequency-set -g ondemand -u 1344000
Setting cpu: 0
Setting cpu: 1
Setting cpu: 2
Setting cpu: 3
pine64:~ # cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq

A couple of searches led me to sites where it was implied changing this would require a recompile of something.

I can switch away from opensuse if it's just a limitation of this specific distro, but I thought I'd ask if there's a way to deal with this in uEnv.txt or some dtb file. My power supply is very good and I have a decent heatsink on the CPU so temps are well under control so I'd like to enable the higher max frequency if possible, but it's not a deal breaker really.

Thanks,

- Leo

Thanks, tkaiser. Surprising my searches didn't turn up that reference; I guess my Google fu was weak in this case.

By the way, my searches for information on SBCs invariably lead me to posts on one of many sites by you. The completeness of your answers (plus the accompanying humor, snark or rightful indignation) often leads me to read pages upon pages of a discussion thread simply because I learn a lot about the topic at hand. I'd like to say thanks for that as well.

- Leo