Boot-Crazy

Code4Sale LLC

Hi There,

I hope I posted this in the correct forum.

We run a lot of distros on a given "disk" or "sdcard" (or whatever).

We call our system "Boot-Crazy".

Here goes:

The partition starts with a small boot partition containing the initial boot parameters, configuration, and a pointer to the partition holding the root file system we want to boot.

The boot partition is followed by some number of other partitions, like this:

[bOOT]-[sWAP]-[COMMON]-[COPYOF-DISTO-1-BOOT]-[DISTO-1-ROOT-FILE-SYSTEM]-[COPYOF-DISTO-2-BOOT]-[DISTO-2-ROOT-FILE-SYSTEM]...

Armbian (as downloaded for the BananaPi-M2) is simply one large partition, like this:

[armbian]

How can I get armbian to work with our boot system?

In other words, I need to get the boot portion of armbian into it's own little partition (256MB - preferably FAT or FAT32) at the beginning of the "disk" (something like mmcblk0p1 or sda1)

and the root file system somewhere else (possibly on a different disk). In general, we use a MBR style of disk (putting the file systems in an extended partition). GPT is sometimes used.

Hopefully, this is reasonably easy to pull off. I have been successful in the past with other distros by doing something like simply copying the contents of the root file system's boot directory into the boot partition, and editing, but (so far) that has not worked.

I would be very thankful for any help or advice received. 

Thank you in advance,

Joe

Manual way should not be a problem. Let me just point out that we use first boot scripts which logic is to expand last partition to the size of SD card. In your case you don't want that ... remove /etc/init.d/firstrun and /etc/init.d/resize2fs from rootfs. Than copy rootfs partition anywhere, /boot is going to other partition and adjust boot script + fstab. 

Second. U-boot package is installing to the SD card itself when updating. So make sure to remove my u-boot package if you are planning to use your own.

I think that's all.