OrangePi 2g IoT - Automatize 2g Conection

Lucas Bastos

Hi everybody,

One really simple question: I got to work with wvdial and establish a ppp connection with OPi 2g-IoT but now I would like to initiate the board with the wvdial included, so if the modem 2g does not connect the board keeps trying till the conection goes smoothly. So far I've done this:

sudo nano /etc/rc.local

and inserted this line:

sleep 60; sudo wvdial &

My results are: Sometimes, mostly, it connects and works properly but there are few times like 2 out of 10 that the wvdial does not work and the board initiates without it, which I do not want at all. How can I force the board to initiate properly only when a 2g conection is established?

Thanks!

A single wvdial call in rc.local is not the best way to do this.

You can manage and automate the connection with NetworkManager & ModemManager, you can tell NetworkManager that your 2G-PPP connection is required for networking to start.  This will redial and reconnect the connection when it drops or fails to initiate.  A 2G GSM/GPRS connection is not the most reliable of connection types and a 20% failure rate initiating a single connection is about what you should expect.

Hi everybody,

I am using the Ubuntu distro on my OPi 2g IoT

How can I configure Modem Manager & Network Manager through terminal so that a 2G-PPP connection is required for networking to start the board? What would help:

- 2G PPP connection established to initiate the board in a way that if I don't have it connected it does not initiate.

- Set the Network Manager & Modem Manager to redial and reconnect everytime it drops or fails to initiate.

I am not really experienced with Network Manager and Modem Manager so if you can please leave the step-by-step instruction since the installation till the final configuration itself would be really helpful for me and all users for sure

Many thanks!