add utv007 driver to Armbian 5.25

peter12

Hello, 

I am using Armbian 5.25 Linux 8 jessie 3.4.113-sun8i and when I plugged usb grabber with chipset utv007 lsusb shows only 1b71:3002 without name of device.

How can I add driver for this device to my armbian? (preferably without reinstalling Armbian)

or

If I install new version 5.3, will it work out of the box?

Thank you!

It's possible that this device will not work on this old kernel. There are instructions and a patch for kernel 3.19 or higher: https://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Easycap ... for the device which looks like the same as yours. You don't need to reinstall Armbian but you most likely will need to recompile the kernel and install it over yours. If that patch aligns nicely with a modern kernel, it can be added by default. Try if you can do it on your own: https://docs.armbian.com/Process_Contribute

oh, so it means even when I try Armbian 5.30, it will not work. Am I right? :(

Unfortunately, I am not so powerfull user and I have never compiled kernel, step by step instruction would be great. (by the way I just need to get video, not audio)

Should it work with Armbian_5.30_Orangepizero_Debian_jessie_dev_4.11.3 please?

4 minutes ago, peter12 said:

oh, so it means even when I try Armbian 5.30, it will not work. Am I right?

Yes. There is no support for this device unless we/you add it. For an expert, it's a half an hour job or it can take days. You know this when the device - which we don't have or deal with - starts to work :) In general we avoid dealing with 3rd party hardware as our resources are extremely scarce. But we encourage people to supply patches of this kind. Then this functionality becomes available for everyone in next upgrade (apt update & apt upgrade). In beta builds this happens in less than 24h while for stable builds we need to wait more time. 

I understand that this job can be challenging for nonhacker, but we made the building process as simple as possible and it's worth investing some time and trying to solve this puzzle.

I would like to learn it but unfortunately these days I would pay someone who is able to do it faster than me :D

Now I am installing Armbian_5.30_Orangepizero_Debian_jessie_dev_4.11.3 kernel, so will see if it works or not.

I can confirm that Ubuntu detects is correctly as "Fushicai USBTV007 Video Grabber [EasyCAP]".

But I would rather have Debian release, because all scripts I have made are for debian (and maybe tweaking would be necessary). Any idea how to get Armbian Debian for correct detection os utv007 please?

3 minutes ago, peter12 said:

Any idea how to get Armbian Debian for correct detection os utv007 please?

Build on your own if you can't wait for official release. Then we will add Debian Stretch. There are few troubles with it and that is the reason we don't put it out yet. Ubuntu Xenial is right way ... in essence, it's Debian anyway.

13 minutes ago, Igor said:

Build on your own if you can't wait for official release. Then we will add Debian Stretch. There are few troubles with it and that is the reason we don't put it out yet.

is there any step by step tutorial for this?

Our Ubuntu is as clean and secure as Debian. It's not only a commercialized version ... Stretch has some serious bugs in network section plus probably other undiscovered ones. Jessie - as the only other option - uses (much) older package base than Ubuntu. Don't worry about and rather stay on Ubuntu for few months. Or ignore my advice and proceed here: https://docs.armbian.com/Developer-Guide_Build-Preparation

On 10/11/2017 at 9:32 AM, Igor said:

Known or unknown bug. Those images are testing/preview builds and were not tested yet. We collect bugs this organized way - soon, any help is welcomed

Hi Igor, just a quick question - on 12th November is scheduled next major update. Will there be solved utv007 issue? Or where could I post this issue/bug for investigation and correction? I checked help is welcomed link but I have no idea where to post bugs. Many thanks for your great effort!

30 minutes ago, peter12 said:

Will there be solved utv007 issue

Help in this context means to send @Tido a message to put you on a list of our official testers. We have a procedure and forms for testing, where bugs are entered. If you are not a developer, if you are out of cash but you have some board and some free time, this is the way you can contribute to getting a better operating system. I am sorry, but we don't support 3rd party hardware. Armbian resources are underpowered already for on-board hardware only. If some 3rd party hardware driver is in the kernel, we can enable it. If it doesn't work, this is your problem, sorry. Linux kernel is a work of many many people and this is not our bug nor we are in a position to fix it.

Without community/your help, your board might not boot at all or will function badly (no USB, no SPI, no UART, ... or similar "small" problems). This means your problem with DVB tuner becomes pretty irrelevant. Talk to the hardware vendor, Google, hire someone to fix the driver ... 

On 10/25/2017 at 4:49 PM, Igor said:

If it doesn't work, this is your problem, sorry.

hire someone to fix the driver ... 

Hi Igor, I just wanted to let you know my findings - I tried it with RPi 3 with Raspbian and utv007 works great with the latest release. Maybe drivers could be ported to Armbian - I don't know, this is just idea because I don't have any experience with these driver things.

By the way, If somebody is able to make utv007 work in Armbian, I would like to pay amount I can afford to help this great project and other people, too.

1 minute ago, peter12 said:

I tried it with RPi 3 with Raspbian and utv007 works great with the latest release.

I am not using RPi so "latest release" tells me nothing :) Kernel version or better - kernel sources are what we need to know.

2 minutes ago, Igor said:

I am not using RPi so "latest release" tells me nothing :) Kernel version or better - kernel sources are what we need to know.

Sorry, my bad. :) Updated information here:

Version: Raspbian, September 2017

Release date: 2017-09-07

Kernel version: 4.9

Release notes: Link

Hello everybody.
I tried to port UTV007 driver under kernel 3.4.113 from sources from here.
Who are interested in trying this driver, please, write a feedback.

Attention, this is just an experimental version.

After compile need to run

sudo modprobe videobuf2_core

sudo modprobe videobuf2_vmalloc

sudo insmod usbtv.ko

Link to download.

I tested this driver under Armbian 5.30 with legacy kernel (3.4.113-sun7i) on Cubieboard2.

After command sudo insmod usbtv.ko I have video0 device in device list, and dmesg | tail shows:

[116494.293249] Probe routine
[116494.298265] usbtv 2-1:1.0: Fushicai USBTV007 Video Grabber

And v4l2-ctl --all:

Driver Info (not using libv4l2):
	Driver name   : usbtv
	Card type     : usbtv
	Bus info      : usb-sw-ehci-1
	Driver version: 3.4.113
	Capabilities  : 0x85000001
		Video Capture
		Read/Write
		Streaming
		Device Capabilities
	Device Caps   : 0x05000001
		Video Capture
		Read/Write
		Streaming
Priority: 2
Video input : 0 (Composite: ok)
Video Standard = 0x0000f900
	PAL-M/60
	NTSC-M/M-JP/443/M-KR
Format Video Capture:
	Width/Height      : 720/480
	Pixel Format      : 'YUYV'
	Field             : Interlaced
	Bytes per Line    : 1440
	Size Image        : 691200
	Colorspace        : SMPTE 170M
	Transfer Function : Default
	YCbCr Encoding    : Default
	Quantization      : Default
Streaming Parameters Video Capture:
	Frames per second: 29.970 (30000/1001)
	Read buffers     : 2

User Controls

brightness (int)    : min=0 max=1023 step=1 default=448 value=448 flags=slider
                       contrast (int)    : min=0 max=1023 step=1 default=464 value=464 flags=slider
                     saturation (int)    : min=0 max=1023 step=1 default=512 value=512 flags=slider
                            hue (int)    : min=-3583 max=3583 step=1 default=0 value=0 flags=slider
                      sharpness (int)    : min=0 max=255 step=1 default=96 value=96 flags=slider

On 27/11/2017 at 4:39 PM, Tanat said:

Hello everybody.
I tried to port UTV007 driver under kernel 3.4.113 from sources from here.
Who are interested in trying this driver, please, write a feedback.

Attention, this is just an experimental version.

After compile need to run

sudo insmod usbtv.ko

Link to download.

I tested this driver under Armbian 5.30 with legacy kernel (3.4.113-sun7i) on Cubieboard2.

After command sudo insmod usbtv.ko I have video0 device in device list, and dmesg | tail shows:

[116494.293249] Probe routine
[116494.298265] usbtv 2-1:1.0: Fushicai USBTV007 Video Grabber

And v4l2-ctl --all:

Driver Info (not using libv4l2):
	Driver name   : usbtv
	Card type     : usbtv
	Bus info      : usb-sw-ehci-1
	Driver version: 3.4.113
	Capabilities  : 0x85000001
		Video Capture
		Read/Write
		Streaming
		Device Capabilities
	Device Caps   : 0x05000001
		Video Capture
		Read/Write
		Streaming
Priority: 2
Video input : 0 (Composite: ok)
Video Standard = 0x0000f900
	PAL-M/60
	NTSC-M/M-JP/443/M-KR
Format Video Capture:
	Width/Height      : 720/480
	Pixel Format      : 'YUYV'
	Field             : Interlaced
	Bytes per Line    : 1440
	Size Image        : 691200
	Colorspace        : SMPTE 170M
	Transfer Function : Default
	YCbCr Encoding    : Default
	Quantization      : Default
Streaming Parameters Video Capture:
	Frames per second: 29.970 (30000/1001)
	Read buffers     : 2

User Controls

brightness (int)    : min=0 max=1023 step=1 default=448 value=448 flags=slider
                       contrast (int)    : min=0 max=1023 step=1 default=464 value=464 flags=slider
                     saturation (int)    : min=0 max=1023 step=1 default=512 value=512 flags=slider
                            hue (int)    : min=-3583 max=3583 step=1 default=0 value=0 flags=slider
                      sharpness (int)    : min=0 max=255 step=1 default=96 value=96 flags=slider

Oh man, that's briliant! Thanks for that, I will try it as soon as I have few minutes for it.

On 2/18/2018 at 9:24 AM, Tanat said:

Did you test it? Did you have any problems?

hi please, I downloaded usbtv.zip but what with it please? which commands to run?

I don't know if I understand step-by-step good:

firstly I should download usbtv.zip

then run come command to compile?

and then run these (?):

sudo insmod usbtv.ko