orange pi one mainline builds (any recent?)

aliceander

I've been away from armbian for a few months and came back to build a new project with my orange pi one but the nightly/recent mainlines builds seem to have stopped.  I need a mainline kernel, and can grab one that's a few months old, but I wanted to be sure they haven't been moved.  I'm not complaining! Just asking.  With the number of boards available with armbian there has to be a lot of overhead doing nightly builds with few users, so it's not too surprising to see a change.  I looked thru the sticky notes, but could not find a relevant post.  Thanks!

Nightly builds were removed because people started to use them for real and keep asking why this and that is not working. That is only killing our precious time and doesn't help anything since most of the issues are known and waiting to be fixed. Sometimes it takes months before some issues are resolved.

Mainline kernel for H3/H5/A64 is close to being released but it is not yet fully done and it is not tested. We are about 1 month away from releasing it. What can you do now? Build on your own and be ready for some issues and upgrade to stable later ... or wait.

Ah, yes, I can see how that happened.  I've always been impressed by the system you guys created.  Not only do you support a kajillion different devices, you have a build ready to use by the time a brand new board has had the time to be delivered to my house.  And even though it was clear that mainline was not supported, I was guilty of coming to the forum to seek solutions for mainline issues.  I'm sorry I contributed to the problem.

I may look into building my own, or at least look into it since I'm interested in learning the process, but I'm mostly thrilled to hear that a mainline kernel release is in the forecast.  One month is not long, and I realize that will probably slip out more than a month, but just knowing that it's coming soon makes me happy.

Thank you for the explanation.