GPU driver?

Be sure to use the git version of glmark2, as Debian or Ubuntu's version of glmark2 might not have the Udev DRM node selection code.

Also, be sure to execute this from a real terminal (CTRL+ALT+F1 if your keyboard is connected to the RK3288 device, or chvt 1 if you're connected through SSH).

At last, try this as root in order to be sure that you don't have any issue due /dev/mali0 access rights.

Are you sure the driver is installed ?

I'll see if I can put a tutorial on how to install Rockchip libmali Debian packages ( https://github.com/rockchip-linux/rk-rootfs-build/tree/master/packages/armhf/libmali ) and their Xserver ( https://github.com/rockchip-linux/rk-rootfs-build/tree/master/packages/armhf/xserver ). Anyway, if you don't care about X11, install the libmali package and launch glmark2-es2-drm.

Else, try to install the Xserver first, then the libmali package. The reason being that the official XServer glamor extension does not play well with the Mali drivers, it seems.

Could you give the output of glmark2-es2-drm --debug ?

I'm trying to set up an HTPC.  My plan is for it to act as an NAS with Openmediavault, host media with Plex media server, play some old games  and play video and audio with Kodi.  I'm just not able to get it to do anything graphically intensive unless I use something someone else already configured.  I can't even get the Kodi interface moving fluidly.

I have found the guides here and on on the rockmyy github page and I'm just not getting it.

13 hours ago, Sean Carson said:

libgles2 does not install either.  It says it can't overwrite the version from libmali.

That is correct. If you want full multimedia support, I recommend you to install Xenial default 4.4 kernel, , and use the script referenced by @TonyMac32 two posts above. You don't need to install Mesa's libgles2, the script includes all the libs. But I don't think it will work on Bionic.

2 hours ago, Sean Carson said:

The problem with using Xenial is I can't get Openmediavault running on it, but Debian works fine. I want OMV on this at the same time as playback support.

If you download the script, on each directory you will find info about the sources I used to compile the packages, you can compile them yourself for your choice distro. But I don't think you will be abe to get them to compile in Jessie, you'll need Stretch. Anyway, if you only want to make media files available to other devices, Plex + a simple Samba share seems like a better option than OMV. The latter will require lots of specific configs in your system, that may not be compatible with other apps you want to run.

4 hours ago, Sean Carson said:

The problem with using Xenial is I can't get Openmediavault running on it, but Debian works fine. I want OMV on this at the same time as playback support.

1 hour ago, JMCC said:

But I don't think you will be abe to get them to compile in Jessie, you'll need Stretch. Anyway,

Same count for OMV4 too.. https://www.openmediavault.org/?p=2282 OMV3 (based on jessie) will go EOL in a few days..

If you don't need X11 support, just grab the Rockchip libmali drivers, put them in a folder like @JMCC script is doing, and set up LD_LIBRARY_PATH before calling the program that depends on GLES2/DRM or GLES2/Wayland.

If you need X11 support, you could try to rebuild their X11 server but... this could be more pain than gain.