sunxi-dev: recipe for target 'bindeb-pkg' failed

hmartin

Build environment is Ubuntu 16.04 in an lxc container.

Trying to build kernel + u-boot, I am repeatedly getting the following error:

patching file tools/include/tools/be_byteshift.h
patching file tools/include/tools/le_byteshift.h
  CLEAN   scripts/basic
  CLEAN   scripts/dtc
  CLEAN   scripts/kconfig
  CLEAN   scripts/mod
  CLEAN   scripts
dpkg-deb: building package 'linux-firmware-image-4.13.0-rc4-next-20170811-sunxi' in '../linux-firmware-image-4.13.0-rc4-next-20170811-sunxi_5.34_armhf.deb'.
gzip: /usr/share/doc//changelog.Debian.gz already exists; do you wish to overwrite (y or n)? y
sh: 1: cannot create DEBIAN/md5sums: Directory nonexistent
scripts/package/Makefile:97: recipe for target 'bindeb-pkg' failed
make[1]: *** [bindeb-pkg] Error 2
Makefile:1343: recipe for target 'bindeb-pkg' failed
make: *** [bindeb-pkg] Error 2
dpkg-deb: building package 'linux-source-4.13.0-rc4-dev-sunxi' in '/home/ubuntu/armbian/.tmp/linux-source-dev-sunxi_5.34_all.deb'.
dpkg-deb: error: failed to read archive '/home/ubuntu/armbian/output/debs/linux-image-dev-sunxi_5.34_armhf.deb': No such file or directory

Looking at the root filesystem, I can see that something in the Armbian build process is actually overwriting /usr/share/doc/changelog.Debian.gz, which seems like it shouldn't be happening (e.g. files are supposed to be installed to a build directory):

ubuntu@ubuntu_xenial:~/armbian$ ls -l /usr/share/doc/changelog.Debian.gz 
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 184 Oct 19 19:37 /usr/share/doc/changelog.Debian.gz

I've tried checking out armbian from github again, and the issue persists. Yes, I am building the kernel + u-boot for the Banana Pi M2 Ultra, which is unsupported (hence why I am posting here), but I cannot see anything in the configuration for this board that would be causing the above behaviour. Building the r40-v2 branch several months ago worked without issues. Since updating armbian to current, I am unable to package the r40-v2 or r40-v5 kernel.

If I remove the patch packaging-4.x-DEV-with-postinstall-scripts.patch I am able to successfully build the packages:

dpkg-deb: building package 'linux-firmware-image-4.13.0-rc4-next-20170811-sunxi' in '../linux-firmware-image-4.13.0-rc4-next-20170811-sunxi_5.34_armhf.deb'.
dpkg-deb: building package 'linux-headers-4.13.0-rc4-next-20170811-sunxi' in '../linux-headers-4.13.0-rc4-next-20170811-sunxi_5.34_armhf.deb'.
dpkg-deb: building package 'linux-libc-dev' in '../linux-libc-dev_5.34_armhf.deb'.
dpkg-deb: building package 'linux-image-4.13.0-rc4-next-20170811-sunxi' in '../linux-image-4.13.0-rc4-next-20170811-sunxi_5.34_armhf.deb'.
dpkg-genchanges: binary-only upload (no source code included)
dpkg-deb: building package 'linux-source-4.13.0-rc4-dev-sunxi' in '/home/ubuntu/armbian/.tmp/linux-source-dev-sunxi_5.34_all.deb'.
dpkg-deb: error: failed to read archive '/home/ubuntu/armbian/output/debs/linux-image-dev-sunxi_5.34_armhf.deb': No such file or directory
[ o.k. ] Kernel build done [ @host ]
[ o.k. ] Target directory [ /home/ubuntu/armbian/output/debs/ ]
[ o.k. ] File name [ linux-image-dev-sunxi_5.34_armhf.deb ]
[ o.k. ] Runtime [ 7 min ]

@Igor I've looked at your modifications to the patch in commit 94bcf43 and I can't see anything obviously wrong, but it seems there is some regression in this patch which is causing packaging to fail now.

Could you confirm that kernel packaging is working correctly for you on sunxi-dev with the latest patch version?

6 minutes ago, hmartin said:

Yes, I am building the kernel + u-boot for the Banana Pi M2 Ultra, which is unsupported (hence why I am posting here), but I cannot see anything in the configuration for this board that would be causing the above behaviour.

Looks like you are trying to build kernel 4.13.x while using a packaging patch for 4.14.x and patches are not backwards compatible in this case. sunxi-dev target is meant to be used for linux-stable master branch so it's not surprising that it will break when you are pointing it to a different (and especially older) branch.

In addition to this sunxi-dev target is mostly useless and is rarely updated, so it may break by itself too with upstream kernel updates.

8 hours ago, zador.blood.stained said:

Looks like you are trying to build kernel 4.13.x while using a packaging patch for 4.14.x

Why do you think the patch is for 4.14? The patch has existed for many months, but Igor updated it recently.

(I'm genuinely curious, not trying to start an argument. I don't see 4.14 mentioned in the commit message or anywhere else. The similar patch for sun8i-dev is for 4.10 according to the commit message)

8 hours ago, zador.blood.stained said:

In addition to this sunxi-dev target is mostly useless and is rarely updated, so it may break by itself too with upstream kernel updates.

Well it is the Banana Pi M2 Ultra, it would be more surprising if the kernel wasn't outdated. Anyway, it seems I can build the packages successfully without the patch, so I'll just exclude it from the build process.

2 hours ago, hmartin said:

Why do you think the patch is for 4.14?

It is for the linux-stable master branch. Kernel 4.13 was released on 3.9.2017, after that the merge window for 4.14 was opened. As you can see Igor fixed the packaging patch on 28.9.2017, almost 2 weeks after 4.14-rc1 was released (16.9.2017)

3 hours ago, hmartin said:

The similar patch for sun8i-dev is for 4.10 according to the commit message)

sun8i-dev is not a "rolling release" and its branch is stuck on 4.11.x

3 hours ago, hmartin said:

Anyway, it seems I can build the packages successfully without the patch, so I'll just exclude it from the build process.

Since it looks to be 4.13 you can try using the packaging patch from sunxi-next