Missing nanopi m3

viking

1 hour ago, viking said:

i just got my nanopi m3 today...

where did you buy, because: http://www.friendlyarm.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&p=3028#p3028

by Sidi » 11 Oct 2017, 15:17

Hi, 
I received confirmation from FriendlyArm by email that both M2a and M3 has been discontinued.
Apparently they can continue producing with a relatively hight MOQ.

Sadly no reponses from them about the lifespan of their products.

it would be nice if they posed expected date of product line termination... but still does not change the fact that I can't get anything to run on it... stuff that igor posted does not work... it just dies... with what ever i posted before...

2 minutes ago, viking said:

stuff that igor posted does not work

It's tested. It works and I will test it again just to make sure. What is your PSU, how do you power the board? If you power via micro USB I will not waste my time.

hey... i can boot this img: s5p6818-debian-sd4g-20170619.img ... it runs but res is 1280x720 and to change it one needs to play with C code... it seems to be stable... but this is the only thing that boots...

tnx... i have usp power with 2.8 amps...

I download a desktop image and it works perfectly fine. I can record you a boot video if you like. Those are boot logs: http://sprunge.us/EYaQ 

My monitor is old 1280x1024 connected via HDMI2VGA converter and I power boards with quality 5V/5A PSU, connected as on the picture.

20171020_215216.jpg

Well, no need for 5A ... I just use that one to power more boards at once. Real/stable 5V/2.5-3A should be enough. Just power it via GPIO. Red is obviously a + and black is - , white and yellow are a serial console.

:) i assumed as much... :) hmmmm let's see how it goes when i get psu tomorrow... or i get few 7505 and hook them to run the board... i think i have the parts inhouse... i will look around and post pics... even if i fry it... as a warning... :)

What do you mean by 7505 ? Do you mean 7805 Voltage Regulator ? Be aware that those are 1A only ...

You don't any 5VDC Wall plugged PSU with a barrel connector ?

EDIT : When I'm running of 5V PSU, I take some 12V and use those DC-DC converters : http://www.ebay.ca/itm/5pcs-Mini-360-DC-DC-Buck-Converter-Step-Down-Module-4-75V-23V-to-1V-17V-EV-/272877133247

so :) looking thank you `martinayotte` for 7805 i found this gizmo... dc-dc... i am making desktop sd now... let's how it works in a few...

IMG_20171020_225344.jpg

Edited by viking
i have 12v 1.5a charger... it should pull 3a at 5v...

Running out of ideas since I can't replicate this problem. It still could be a failed / badly written (bad) SD card. This cheap buck converter is also not good enough to rule out underpowering. Have you tried booting without having anything attached to USB?

Add: I did few tests limiting the current and I could not boot the board when input current was below ~1.5A without having anything except HDMI. Perhaps there (HDMI) is a problem? Further. Stressing the board pulls ~1.6A and it was pretty easy to crash the board when PSU was limited to 1.8A ... which is close to Chinese "3A" :)