OpenVPN just won't run

nikkoaki

Greetings,

I recently changed from an old loboris ubuntu distribution to armbian for my opi PC. I never had problems with it, it was just not getting updates for a long time since it's old and not a LTS.

I never had problems with openvpn also.. installing from apt and creating ca's and users was a breeze. Now with armbian i simply cannot get it to work, i tried both with apt and compiling the latest version from source. I cannot get it to start.

Doing systemctl start openvpn

Job for openvpn.service failed because the control process exited with error code. See "systemctl status openvpn.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.

journalctl -xe

-- Unit openvpn.service has begun starting up.
Oct 21 15:11:11 orangepi openvpn[2198]:  * Starting virtual private network daemon(s)...
Oct 21 15:11:11 orangepi openvpn[2198]:  *   Autostarting VPN 'Opi2k'
Oct 21 15:11:11 orangepi ovpn-Opi2k[2210]: Options error: --topology must be net30, p2p, or subnet
Oct 21 15:11:11 orangepi ovpn-Opi2k[2210]: Use --help for more information.
Oct 21 15:11:11 orangepi systemd[1]: openvpn.service: Control process exited, code=exited status=1
Oct 21 15:11:11 orangepi systemd[1]: Failed to start LSB: Openvpn VPN service.
-- Subject: Unit openvpn.service has failed
-- Defined-By: systemd

I checked the topology and it's "subnet"

syslog:

Oct 21 15:09:09 orangepi systemd[1]: Failed to start LSB: Openvpn VPN service.
Oct 21 15:09:09 orangepi systemd[1]: openvpn.service: Unit entered failed state.
Oct 21 15:09:09 orangepi systemd[1]: openvpn.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

I also tried PiVPN, it fails in the middle of the installation with the error :

: error fetching interface information: Device not found
: error fetching interface information: Device not found

Going to Network Configuration on webmin also gives an error:

xW2GFxJ.png

ifconfig works fine and gives me both eth0 and lo

I tried several things i've read on some tutorials but none worked.. again, i never had these problems with the old distro so i'm guessing its armbian related.. anyone has a clue on what might be?

Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, nikkoaki said:

i'm guessing its armbian related

It is your network configuration related. Armbian just provides some simple defaults that you can also SSH remotely to your board at first boot. VPN install might have troubles with "advanced" no-auto-down eth0 configuration, so use some plain one.

Define your own /etc/network/interfaces or use the one from your previous system and proceed.

4 hours ago, Igor said:

It is your network configuration related. Armbian just provides some simple defaults that you can also SSH remotely to your board at first boot. VPN install might have troubles with "advanced" no-auto-down eth0 configuration, so use some plain one.

Define your own /etc/network/interfaces or use the one from your previous system and proceed.

Thank you for your reply.

Indeed, removing that line solved the problem.

What's weird is that i never changed my network configuration.

What i did was: Install armbian -> disable gpu/hdmi -> update packages -> install webmin -> went to the network pane on webmin and got that error -> did other things

I didn't check the network config before installing webmin so i don't know if it was already like that or it was indeed webmin that changed it. I never had that problem in the past so i'm guessing webmin had nothing to do with it or it's something from recent versions.

Anyway, thanks a lot.