Performance gain by using install to SATA, eMMC, NAND or USB

csteinforth

Hi there,

please apologize if this has been asked before, but I was not able to find a concise answer.

I'm on a Cubox i4 pro using latest armbian. My main use case is a simple LAMP server, mainly as distributed database for several Kodi clients. Currently my installation is "SD card only". Is there any performance gain or other advantage by using an installation to SATA or USB etc. via the armbian-config script?

Thanks in advance,

Christoph

Armbian is optimised for SD card usage - more caching is involved than on standard system - so I doubt there will be much speed increase for this particular case. If you don't use it already - check memcached: https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/ubuntu-apache-mod_pagespeed/ I was running this forum and few other webs (this way) on an SD card for about two years. It was smaller in size/traffic like today, but it was running good enough. What you gain for sure is reliability - SD card media is the worst of all and boot up speed.

Hi Igor,

thanks for the quick answer. So I guess the proper way to use the install script to SATA, eMMC, NAND or USB would be after the first boot up of a fresh armbian after an apt update/dist-upgrade so that any new software would already be installed on the device?

Thanks in advance,

Christoph

30 minutes ago, csteinforth said:

the proper way

The installer copies your SD card to target (USB, eMMC ,  ...) and alter boot procedure, transfer boot loader ... etc. You can do it anytime, but it will be faster when it will have fewer files to transfer.

Hi Igor!

I have another question as I have again and again starting from the very beginning. USB-sticks are kept in mind by kernel by /dev/disk/by-uuid allthough it is not inserted and so the kernel crashes. All the work ist gone. I only think about copying the SD-card at a point, when all works fine for not allways have to start from the very beginning. Wouldn't it be a better thing to divide to emmc and SD-card? OK, if kernel crashes it wouldn't help either. It just because it is so disgusting. Do you have a better idea?

Odroid-XU4  Armbian-10 (I hate buster, it sounds like bastard :)