NanoPi Neo2 and Neo Station NS-120B with armbian

guidol

On 14/11/2017 at 1:55 PM, doru said:

It was a single big file ~4 GB.

The transfer rate 17 - 22 Mb/s is when I uploaded the file to NAS. When I downloaded from server to my Windows 8.1 computer

transfer rate was badly, 13 Mb/s... Transfer 1.8 GB from a RAM disk....the same transfer rates.

Today I checked the transfer-rate from my freshly installed debian-stretch NanoPI-NAS (only debian with armbian-config installed SAMBA-Server).

From my HP6005 Win10 PC to the NanoPi Neo2 NAS via 5-Port DLINK DGS-1005D Switch and I do get a Rate of 34-36.3MB/sec

I also installed debian-stretch now on my first NanoPi NAS (Ubuntu Xenial without armbian-config deleted) and did get the same MB/sec 

Speed_NAS.jpg

51 minutes ago, tkaiser said:

and mine as JMS561

the JMS561 is listed as USB3.0 Bridge while the JMS567 is listed as USB3.1

BUT the JMS561 has more than one SATA Channel which the JMS567 doenst seem to have ( http://www.jmicron.com/product0201.html ):

USB3.0 to dual SATA with RAID series
JMS561 Super Speed USB3.0 to Dual SATA gen III Ports with RAID bridge controller
JMS561 is a Supper Speed to Dual-SATA Gen III Ports bridge chip. It integrated 2 independent SATA channels and a micro-processor. With proper setting, the chip can be configured as 1 to 2- ports Serial ATA III Port Multiplier or hardware striping & mirror.

vs

USB 3.1 Gen1 (5Gbps)
JMS576 USB 3.1 Gen1 to SATA 6Gb/s Bridge Controller for USB Type-C
JMS576 is a USB 3.1 Gen1 to SATA 6Gb/s bridge controller with Integrated USB Type-C Multiplexer & Device CC control logic for USB Type-C storage solution. It has high performance and low power consumption by advanced low power process. It can support external SPI NVRAM for Vendor VID/PID of USB 2.0/USB 3.1 Gen1 device controller. There are 10 GPIOs to do customization for various applications. It supports software utilities for downloading the upgraded firmware code under USB 2.0/USB 3.1 Gen1.

Note for the JMS567 the sentence:
It can support external SPI NVRAM for Vendor VID/PID of USB 2.0/USB 3.1 Gen1 device controller.

21 minutes ago, tkaiser said:

No, you still confuse 576 with 567 ;)

Oops :) OK - I see at the JMicron page isnt a JMS567 :) my fault reading "to fast"
Yes - JMS567 is only USB3.0 - so I hadnt to wonder about the USB3.1 from the JMS576

USB3.0 to single SATA Series
JMS567 Super Speed USB 3.0 & SATA III 6.0Gbps Bridge Controller-3.3Vcc
MS567 is a low power consumption and high performance USB 3.0 to SATA 6.0Gbps (bit per second) Bridge controller. A variety of IC package types, such as LQFP48 7x7, QFN48 6x6, QFN48 7x7 and LQFP64 10x10, are provided for an application diversity of data storage devices.

On 11/14/2017 at 12:21 AM, tkaiser said:

This differentiation makes no sense since OMV sits on top of a Debian (be it Armbian or the Debian image FriendlyELEC uses -- main difference is most probably that the Armbian variant contains a lot more performance and other tweaks)

This OMV here https://sourceforge.net/projects/openmediavault/files/Other armhf images/OMV_3_0_90_Nanopineo2_4.13.10.img.xz/download is based on latest Armbian Jessie with pretty recent u-boot and kernel while FriendlyELEC's OMV uses stuff from the beginning of this year. Maybe that's the difference?

In case you've another SD card I would be really interested in results from our new OMV image since also your NAS performance numbers are horribly low. Please be aware that for SSH login to be enabled for root you need to use OMV web UI (either 'permit root login' on the SSH service tab or create a new users in the UI being member of sudo and ssh groups)

Something strange about my board and my attempt to move root file system to USB stick or

SSD. I tried with two SD different cards, two different USB 3.0 sticks and even with a small partition

on a SSD .

After I used nand-sata-install I can't login through command line and OMV web interface, too.

I used image recommended above. The FriendlyARM image don't have this tool included and

is bigger.

You have any idea?

On 11/16/2017 at 1:14 PM, tkaiser said:

And with the new official OMV image you'll most probably reach or exceed 40MB/s since a few more performance tweaks are active there.

Another SD card, the third, 32 GB class 10, with latest OMV image.

Upload ~ 20 Mb/s

Download ~ 40 Mb/s

Temp ~ 52 degree Celsius (front shield from NAS kit isn't mounted due to often SD card tests)

I will try to use 'nand-sata-install' to move root fs to a ~ 3 Gb partition on SSD since

I have no success with any SanDisk Ultrafit 32 Gb USB 3.0 (two different sticks).

Oh, by the way, tests are made with Thomas network recommendation: client and server conected

through my TP-Link switch...

nanopineo2_download.png

9 hours ago, doru said:

The same problem when I try to move root file system to SSD.

After whole process was finished the script ask for reboot.

After reboot I can't login neither with putty nor OMV through

web interface.

Did you have with the .37 a static IP for the OMV? Or did you check another IP?

While Installation Image didnt work for you this way - you could try out the way I used for a Ordoid C2 with emmc and sdcard while not having a adpater for the emmc module:

You could try to dd a image of the sdcard to the emmc:

1.) boot from sd-card
2.) insert a USB-Stick with a .img file of the sdcard (or armibian/OMV .IMG) in the USB-Port
3.) mkdir /mnt/sda1
4.) mnt /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1
5.) dd if=/mnt/sda1/[name_of_the_image].img of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=1M && sync
6.) to be sure: sync [+ENTER-key) again 
7.) shutdown -h now
8.) remove sdcard
9.) power on - should now boot via emmc

57 minutes ago, guidol said:

Yes, with .37 static IP. Static IP it was setting up on router and linked to NanopiNEO2 MAC.

But it is an idea to check what devices are online after I use 'nand-sata-install'.

I read that NanopiNEO2 don't have a fixed MAC but I saw the same MAC after any reboot;

for that reason I linked IP to NanopiNEO 2 to the MAC address. But I will check....Thanks!

57 minutes ago, guidol said:

While Installation Image didnt work for you this way - you could try out the way I used for a Ordoid C2 with emmc and sdcard while not having a adpater for the emmc module:

You could try to dd a image of the sdcard to the emmc:

1.) boot from sd-card
2.) insert a USB-Stick with a .img file of the sdcard (or armibian/OMV .IMG) in the USB-Port
3.) mkdir /mnt/sda1
4.) mnt /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1
5.) dd if=/mnt/sda1/[name_of_the_image].img of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=1M && sync
6.) to be sure: sync [+ENTER-key) again 
7.) shutdown -h now
8.) remove sdcard
9.) power on - should now boot via emmc

....aaa... I don't understand your example completely because NanopiNEO boot just from SD card.

I want to keep the SD for boot and move root file system to USB stick or one of my SSD partition.

Anyway, thanks for example.

Related to speed transfer between NanopeNEO2 server and Windows 8.1 computer I read somewhere

that can be about samba protocol implemented in windows. I will try another method, FTP for example,

to see numbers for speed transfer.

1 hour ago, guidol said:

Nope, the NanopiNEO2 seems to be offline after I used 'nand-sata-install'

script and reboot...

40 minutes ago, doru said:

script and reboot...

thats why I do set the two folling line in the /etc/rc.local (before exit 0):

echo "heartbeat" > /sys/class/leds/nanopi:green:pwr/trigger
echo "mmc0" > /sys/class/leds/nanopi:blue:status/trigger

So I can see the heartbeat to know the system bootet up...then I could search for another DHCP-Address for connecting via SSH

45 minutes ago, doru said:

script and reboot...

Can you provide logs with

armbianmonitor -u

5 minutes ago, Igor said:

Can you provide logs with

armbianmonitor -u

I think it is not possible since I cant't reach the NanopiNEO2 through Putty

after I use 'nand-sata-install' script.

I can login through Putty just before I use 'nand-sata-install'.

Now I test with another SD card and I still not used 'nand-sata-install' script;

the sistem is usable and the 'armbianmonitor -u' return this log: http://sprunge.us/KgCE

On Tue Nov 14 2017 at 12:21 AM, tkaiser said:

In case you've another SD card I would be really interested in results from our new OMV image since also your NAS performance numbers are horribly low. Please be aware that for SSH login to be enabled for root you need to use OMV web UI (either 'permit root login' on the SSH service tab or create a new users in the UI being member of sudo and ssh groups)

The fourth SD card, approximately the same numbers:

Upload to NAS: 22 MB/s

Download from NAS: ~37 MB/s

NanopiNEO2_transfer_rate_fourth_SD_card_.png

@doru you need to update boot loader ... download this https://beta.armbian.com/pool/main/l/linux-u-boot-nanopineo2-next/linux-u-boot-next-nanopineo2_5.34.171121_arm64.deb

and install with: dpkg -i xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.deb ... reboot and report armbianmonitor -u again to see if its fixed. Than run nand-sata-install

11 minutes ago, Igor said:

@doru you need to update boot loader ... download this https://beta.armbian.com/pool/main/l/linux-u-boot-nanopineo2-next/linux-u-boot-next-nanopineo2_5.34.171121_arm64.deb

and install with: dpkg -i xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.deb ... reboot and report armbianmonitor -u again to see if its fixed. Than run nand-sata-install

oh..!

ok, thanks...

Transfer numbers through FTP don't differ to much:

23 / 40

NanopiNEO2_transfer_rate_fourth_SD_card_FTP.png

Transfer numbers through FTP don't differ to much:

Upload / Download : 23 / 40 MB/s

1 hour ago, Igor said:

There it is: http://sprunge.us/KJVg

Sorry for delay...

Thanks!

I try to install the latest beta and it worked out of the box. I used ext4 and it worked fine ... when using BTRFS ... I found a bug:

"/sbin/init: error while loading shared libraries: /lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libuuid.so.1: cannot read file data: Input/output error"

Spoiler

Loading, please wait...
starting version 232
Begin: Loading essential drivers ... done.
Begin: Running /scripts/init-premount ... done.
Begin: Mounting root file system ... Begin: Running /scripts/local-top ... done.
Begin: Running /scripts/local-premount ... Scanning for Btrfs filesystems
done.
Begin: Waiting for root file system ... Begin: Running /scripts/local-block ... done.
done.
Begin: Will now check root file system ... fsck from util-linux 2.29.2
done.
done.
Begin: Running /scripts/local-bottom ... done.
Begin: Running /scripts/init-bottom ... done.
/sbin/init: error while loading shared libraries: /lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libuuid.so.1: cannot read file data: Input/output error
[    4.296654] Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init! exitcode=0x00007f00
[    4.296654] 
[    4.305804] CPU: 0 PID: 1 Comm: init Not tainted 4.13.14-sunxi64 #246
[    4.312242] Hardware name: FriendlyARM NanoPi NEO 2 (DT)
[    4.317552] Call trace:
[    4.320015] [<ffff000008087cf0>] dump_backtrace+0x0/0x258
[    4.325417] [<ffff000008087f9c>] show_stack+0x14/0x20
[    4.330472] [<ffff00000893d4a0>] dump_stack+0x9c/0xbc
[    4.335527] [<ffff0000080a910c>] panic+0x130/0x28c
[    4.340321] [<ffff0000080ad140>] complete_and_exit+0x0/0x20
[    4.345895] [<ffff0000080ad1a8>] do_group_exit+0x38/0xa8
[    4.351208] [<ffff0000080ad228>] __wake_up_parent+0x0/0x28
[    4.356695] [<ffff000008082730>] el0_svc_naked+0x24/0x28
[    4.362007] SMP: stopping secondary CPUs
[    4.365931] Kernel Offset: disabled
[    4.369420] CPU features: 0x002004
[    4.372819] Memory Limit: none
[    4.375878] Rebooting in 10 seconds..

On 11/20/2017 at 4:50 PM, Igor said:

I try to install the latest beta and it worked out of the box. I used ext4 and it worked fine ... when using BTRFS ... I found a bug:

"/sbin/init: error while loading shared libraries: /lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libuuid.so.1: cannot read file data: Input/output error"

I think I am missing something here because don't work form me. At the step to format sdb1, which is a USB stick, the script return the error from image.

Any way, the whole process continue to finish but after reboot I can't reach the board neither from SSH nor OMV web interface.

I will try to mount the USB stick from OMV web interface and after that I will start nand-sata-install script....

mount_error_NanopiNEO.png

7 minutes ago, doru said:

I will try to mount the USB stick from OMV web interface and after that I will start nand-sata-install script....

You don't need to mount anything. The best is to remove the partition on target completely and the installer will invoke partition manager. In any case, we need to look more closely. There is one thing you can try and what might help - switch to beta nightly builds, update and then try again.

Ok, seems to work now.

I don't switch to beta nightly builds. Just the last image 'OMV_3_0_90_Nanopineo2_4.13.10.img'

During the usage of 'nand-sata-install' script I saw a few strange behaviours.

One was the above message, another was freezing moving of root file system at 29% on Putty.

I supposed that the whole process was running in the background and I restart in another

session 'armbianmonitor -m'.

After restart I can reach armbian through the SSH but OMV password don't work.

I used 'omv-firstaid' to reset the OMV web UI password.

But how can I verify if the system use root file system from partition choosed through 'nand-sata-install' ?

The root's path don't appear on OMV ---> Storage ---> Flash Memory ---> Root: ......

root_path.png

2 minutes ago, doru said:

Please check last occurences of '### df' and '### mtab' -- still running off SD card which is not surprising since if you logged out previously while nand-sata-install was running it got killed after the usual timeout happened (that's why if you search for nand-sata-install in the output you'll see that the last message is 'Copying 54328 files to /dev/sdb1.' but that's it and 'Finishing transfer' is missing entirely.

Just now, tkaiser said:

Please check last occurences of '### df' and '### mtab' -- still running off SD card which is not surprising since if you logged out previously while nand-sata-install was running it got killed after the usual timeout happened (that's why if you search for nand-sata-install in the output you'll see that the last message is 'Copying 54328 files to /dev/sdb1.' but that's it and 'Finishing transfer' is missing entirely.

Well, thanks. I will try, again, with another SD card and USB stick.