NanoPi Neo2 and Neo Station NS-120B with armbian

guidol

4 minutes ago, doru said:

I will try, again, with another SD card and USB stick.

Well, you could try it again running from this SD card but there's something wrong with your installation anyway (6 times booted according to log but only 2 times shutting down correctly, in the other 3 occurences there's no shutdown logging).

BTW: the  F3 or H2testw stuff here https://docs.armbian.com/User-Guide_Getting-Started/#how-to-prepare-a-sd-card also applies to every thumb drive you want to use. Always check flash media first. :)

System is usable so I tried again with the same SD and USB stick.

After the 'nand-sata-install' finished the job, the dialog box with 'Reboot/Exit' appear I opened another SSH session, without close the first one, and I use 'armbianmonitor -u' ---> http://sprunge.us/aKNi .

After that, I restarted the system and it become unreachable through SSH or OMV web UI.

Now, I will try, again, with another SD card and USB stick.

15 minutes ago, tkaiser said:

Well, you could try it again running from this SD card but there's something wrong with your installation anyway (6 times booted according to log but only 2 times shutting down correctly, in the other 3 occurences there's no shutdown logging).

BTW: the  F3 or H2testw stuff here https://docs.armbian.com/User-Guide_Getting-Started/#how-to-prepare-a-sd-card also applies to every thumb drive you want to use. Always check flash media first. :)

Ok, thanks. I will use these before to try again.

3 minutes ago, doru said:

After that, I restarted the system and it become unreachable through SSH or OMV web UI.

Well, you used btrfs as target filesystem and according to @Igor there's a bug right now, isn't it?

/dev/sdb1 /mnt/nand-sata-install.EXlu6i/rootfs btrfs rw,relatime,compress-force=zlib,space_cache,subvolid=5,subvol=/ 0 0

2 minutes ago, tkaiser said:

Well, you used btrfs as target filesystem and according to @Igor there's a bug right now, isn't it?

/dev/sdb1 /mnt/nand-sata-install.EXlu6i/rootfs btrfs rw,relatime,compress-force=zlib,space_cache,subvolid=5,subvol=/ 0 0

No, no. I chosed ext4. I'm surely about that. First I just want to see that works...

I made the choice through nand-sata-install dialog.

5 minutes ago, doru said:

No, no. I chosed ext4. I'm surely about that. First I just want to see that works...

I made the choice through nand-sata-install dialog.

Well, but sdb1 has been formatted with btrfs. Just look at the log and fast-forward to 'Tue Nov 21 20:41:51 EET 2017: Start nand-sata-install'... at least that explains why system is not booting now...

No, don't work with another SD card and USB stick.

There is what I did:

- I verified SD card with h2testw

( Warning: Only 7581 of 7582 MByte tested.
Test finished without errors.
You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
Writing speed: 13.5 MByte/s
Reading speed: 20.4 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4)

- wrote with Etcher 'OMV_3_0_90_Nanopineo2_4.13.10.img' on SD card

- I formatted USB stick, FAT32, with MiniTool Partition Wizard

- started the NanopiNeo2 with SD card made, with SSD and USB stick connected

- set-up root access from OMV web UI

- wget https://beta.armbian.com/pool/main/l/linux-u-boot-nanopineo2-next/linux-u-boot-next-nanopineo2_5.34.171121_arm64.deb

- dpkg -i linux-u-boot-next-nanopineo2_5.34.171121_arm64.deb

(before instalation warning message about downgrade of u-boot)

- reboot

- nand-sata-install and I choose 'ext4' on sdb1

(during the instalation a warning message about '....wrong file system....', something like that...

- when nand-sata-install script ask for reboot I opened another SSH session and run 'armbianmonitor -u'

results: http://sprunge.us/LVCK

- close the second sesion and reboot on first session

- after reboot the system is unreachable neither SSH nor OMV web UI

23 hours ago, tkaiser said:

Well, but sdb1 has been formatted with btrfs. Just look at the log and fast-forward to 'Tue Nov 21 20:41:51 EET 2017: Start nand-sata-install'... at least that explains why system is not booting now...

Yes, nand-sata-install is broken when used from non-ext4 images. Adding a check and aborting on non-ext4 root would be a good quick&dirty fix for now.

3 minutes ago, zador.blood.stained said:

Yes, nand-sata-install is broken when used from non-ext4 images. Adding a check and aborting on non-ext4 root would be a good quick&dirty fix for now.

Thanks...I don't know how to do that...Could you, please, point me to a documentation?

14 minutes ago, zador.blood.stained said:

Is it normal that the OMV image uses BTRFS as root?:
Now trying to resize btrfs filesystem on /dev/mmcblk0p2 to the limits:

Resize '/' of 'max'

[ 0.000000] Kernel command line: root=UUID=c87187d0-ce6f-4286-b012-8aee5328e3a8 rootwait rootfstype=btrfs console=tty1 console=ttyS0,115200 panic=10 consoleblank=0 loglevel=1 ubootpart=b13f7316-01 usb-storage.quirks= cgroup_enable=memory swapaccount=1

and why is /dev/sda3 BTRFS?:

[ 3.414485] BTRFS: device fsid c87187d0-ce6f-4286-b012-8aee5328e3a8 devid 1 transid 9 /dev/mmcblk0p2

[ 3.415791] BTRFS: device fsid 8f658c3f-c8a8-489b-b52e-bb9e7bc87f24 devid 1 transid 31 /dev/sda3

4 minutes ago, guidol said:

and why is /dev/sda3 BTRFS?:

[ 3.414485] BTRFS: device fsid c87187d0-ce6f-4286-b012-8aee5328e3a8 devid 1 transid 9 /dev/mmcblk0p2

[ 3.415791] BTRFS: device fsid 8f658c3f-c8a8-489b-b52e-bb9e7bc87f24 devid 1 transid 31 /dev/sda3

I previously made a partition on sda, sda3, and trying to move rootfs there but with the same result.

Before Igor tell me the problem about btrfs.

4 minutes ago, zador.blood.stained said:

It depends on the number of partitions. When source image has 2 partitions (and /boot is a mount point already) nand-sata-install doesn't handle it correctly regarding UUIDs and FS types in fstab.

Ok, that explains also what I experienced recently with Stretch (which was in fact just one of those OMV btrfs installations upgraded from Jessie to Stretch). I'll have a look into right now. Thanks for the heads-up.

11 minutes ago, doru said:

I don't know how to do that...

You can't do anything here, this bug affects currently all OMV images since they all rely on btrfs for the rootfs (and have therefore a separate ext4 /boot partition)

6 minutes ago, guidol said:

Is it normal that the OMV image uses BTRFS as root?

Yes since bleeding-edge and collecting experiences with more modern filesystems providing for awesome features (like snapshots and transparent file compression)

2 hours ago, zador.blood.stained said:

It depends on the number of partitions. When source image has 2 partitions (and /boot is a mount point already) nand-sata-install doesn't handle it correctly regarding UUIDs and FS types in fstab.

I tested with an OMV image I created today for Hardkernel (so they can test their new eMMC themselves). OMV relying on btrfs as usual. Then tried out nand-sata-install twice and testing with ext4 and btrfs as target:

• Ext4 target: contents of /boot are not copied, fstab wrong: bogus /boot and /media/mmcboot entries. After fixing both problems manually (rsync and vi) it works: http://sprunge.us/LTSX
  • Btrfs target: rootfs is copied from mmcblk1p2 to sda1 but fstab is created wrong: /media/mmcboot entry gets UUID of old / (mmcblk1p2) instead of ext4 /boot (mmcblk1p1) and the bind mount is wrong too. After fixing the 1st problem manually (exchange UUID in fstab) it works: http://sprunge.us/hJFX

In the 2nd case I think these are just two simple bugs (using $root_uuid instead of $sduuid and let /boot point to non-existent /media/mmcboot/boot) so I decided to fix them and limit the target fs choice when the current rootfs is already btrfs to also just btrfs (so no normal Armbian installation using an ext4 rootfs should be affected and those OMV images are condemned to stay with btrfs) .

Works now: http://sprunge.us/XIZX

2 hours ago, doru said:

I don't know how to do that

In any case you need to exchange contents of /usr/sbin/nand-sata-install with https://raw.githubusercontent.com/armbian/build/master/packages/bsp/common/usr/sbin/nand-sata-install before continuing. Then nand-sata-install should work. But maybe I messed things up so better wait for @zador.blood.stained either giving an OK or reverting my latest commit (which I would be fine with given that I really get headache every time looking at nand-sata-install code -- I hope we could drop all the NAND stuff and weird exceptions there)

20 hours ago, tkaiser said:

In any case you need to exchange contents of /usr/sbin/nand-sata-install with https://raw.githubusercontent.com/armbian/build/master/packages/bsp/common/usr/sbin/nand-sata-install before continuing. Then nand-sata-install should work. But maybe I messed things up so better wait for @zador.blood.stained either giving an OK or reverting my latest commit (which I would be fine with given that I really get headache every time looking at nand-sata-install code -- I hope we could drop all the NAND stuff and weird exceptions there)

...thanks for your effort...

I will try and definitively post some results here.

On 11/23/2017 at 8:44 PM, doru said:

In any case you need to exchange contents of /usr/sbin/nand-sata-install with https://raw.githubusercontent.com/armbian/build/master/packages/bsp/common/usr/sbin/nand-sata-install before continuing. Then nand-sata-install should work.

well...it works !

I think...

What I did:

- wrote with Etcher 'OMV_3_0_90_Nanopineo2_4.13.10.img' on SD card

- started the NanopiNeo2 with SD card made, with SSD and USB stick connected

- set-up root access from OMV web UI

- login through SSH and

cd /usr/sbin/
             ls
             rm nand-sata-install
             wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/armbian/build/master/packages/bsp/common/usr/sbin/nand-sata-install
             ls
             chmod +x nand-sata-install
            nand-sata-install

- before reboot armbianmonitor -u  ---> http://sprunge.us/iWOK

Just a note: at first attempt when the script ask to choose file system format I have just one option and that was "1 btrfs". (please see the "just_btrfs.png")

After I modified the line 416 "FilesystemTargets="1 ext4" (instead of "1 btrfs)" and restart the script that option was "1 ext4".

Any way, after the sdb1 from USB stick was formatted, the script return a message about wrong fs type. (please see "nand-sata_install_err_msg.png"

Also in OMV web interface root fs path it is right showed ( see "openmediavault_.png")

I will try to put root fs on SSD partition to see if it works and report here.

Thanks.

just_btrfs.png

nand-sata_install_err_msg.png

openmediavault_.png

23 minutes ago, doru said:

Just a note: at first attempt when the script ask to choose file system format I have just one option and that was "1 btrfs".

Yes, that's all that currently is supposed to work when source fs is already btrfs. So this is by design and changing the script to do something else will fail. While I really don't know why you want to transfer the rootfs from SD card to an pendrive (since a good SD card and flashmemory plugin active will also be sufficient) in case you want to use an SSD you need to take care that you partition it before otherwise OMV won't allow you to use the SSD for data (this is all very off-topic here but anyway please read through these instructions)

Also, 'nand-sata-install' script works with a partition on SSD (sda3)  with the above small modification of script.

'armbianmonitor -u' before restart ---> (rootfs on SSD partition) http://sprunge.us/fMFF

Just a few notes:

1. when I altered the line 416 "FilesystemTargets="1 ext4" (instead of "1 btrfs)" instead to wrote "ext4" I wrote "ext3".

With that settings the system had blocked when copied the root files.

After I sett-up the file system to 'ext4' everything was all right.

2. the transfer speeds are the same (with rootfs on USB stick or SSD partition): ~ 20 MB/s upload and ~ 40 MB/s download

3. the temperature of the cores reported by armbianmonitor -m is slightly lower when rootfs is on SSD partition ( with 3 - 4 degree Celsius)

[ I suppose the reason is SanDisk UltraFit USB stick that many people are complaining about heating during the transfer ]

On 11/24/2017 at 9:51 PM, tkaiser said:

While I really don't know why you want to transfer the rootfs from SD card to an pendrive

I just have a few and I try to use them.

Ok I made a few tests and with a few words there are my conclusions.

Of course could be wrong so correct me.

- ext4 seems to be somehow less prone to errors than btrfs (obviously, in that hardware + software configuration)

(see below OMV reporting path for rootfs after 'nand-sata-install script')

- the temperature is slightly lower when I use ext4

- 'nand-sata-install' can be used to transfer rootfs to SSD partition or USB pendrive but just with Thomas modifications (thank you)

- 'armbianmonitor -u' and 'df' show different path for rootfs after I used 'nand-sata-install' script

(see the picture 'armbianmonitor_vs_df.jpg' attached).

Well, because I have a functional system now I will try to identify what is the problem with that big difference transfer speed reported by author of the thread, guidol, and speed with my board.

If somebody want more details there are:

- image used OMV_3_0_90_Nanopineo2_4.13.10.img
- SMB settings from OMV web UI

- 'nand-sata-install' script: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/armbian/build/master/packages/bsp/common/usr/sbin/nand-sata-install

SD
rootfs on SD Tmax=55 Speed: up/down=20/40 MB/s ( one file 1GB size used for test to/from SSD on NanopiNeo2)

USB stick - rootfs on

Test with 'btrfs' on USB 3.0 USB stick (SanDisk UltraFit 32 GB):
file system btrfs - transfer rootfs to USB stick - max 63 degree Celsius during transfer - http://sprunge.us/iVRA
???? seems the rootfs is still on /dev/mmcblk0p2 ????? -> nand-sata-install failed  when I use btrfs

rootfs on USB stick Tmax=56 Speed: up/down=20/40 MB/s ( one file 1GB size used for test to/from SSD on NanopiNeo2)
(path of rootfs it isn't showed on OMV web UI / Storage / Flash Memory  )
???? the same problem related to where is rootfs:
different report by 'armbianmonitor -u' versus 'df' on SSH. See 'armbianmonitor_vs_df.jpg' attached.
http://sprunge.us/SKGR

Test with 'ext4' on USB 3.0 USB stick (SanDisk UltraFit 32 GB):
rootfs on USB stick Tmax=56 Speed: up/down=18/40 MB/s ( one file 1GB size used for test to/from SSD on NanopiNeo2)
(path of rootfs it is showed on OMV web UI / Storage / Flash Memory  )
different report by 'armbianmonitor -u' versus 'df' on SSH.
http://sprunge.us/TGUH

SSD - rootfs on

Test with 'btrfs' on SSD Tmax=54 Speed: up/down=20/24 MB/s ( one file 1GB size used for test to/from SSD on NanopiNeo2)
(path of rootfs it isn't showed on OMV web UI / Storage / Flash Memory  )
---
root@nanopineo2-nas:~# df
Filesystem     1K-blocks     Used Available Use% Mounted on
udev               10240        0     10240   0% /dev
tmpfs              98860     4988     93872   6% /run
/dev/sda3        2849792   734844   1917508  28% /
tmpfs             247148        0    247148   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs               5120        8      5112   1% /run/lock
tmpfs             247148        0    247148   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs             247148        0    247148   0% /tmp
/dev/sda2       75294716 20316072  54978644  27% /srv/dev-disk-by-id-usb-JMicron_Tech_0000000045D9-0-0-part2
/dev/mmcblk0p1     59365    27833     28912  50% /boot
folder2ram        247148     2048    245100   1% /var/log
folder2ram        247148        0    247148   0% /var/tmp
folder2ram        247148        0    247148   0% /var/lib/openmediavault/rrd
folder2ram        247148      772    246376   1% /var/spool
folder2ram        247148     9140    238008   4% /var/lib/rrdcached
folder2ram        247148        8    247140   1% /var/lib/monit
folder2ram        247148        4    247144   1% /var/lib/php5
folder2ram        247148        4    247144   1% /var/lib/netatalk/CNID
folder2ram        247148      496    246652   1% /var/cache/samba
tmpfs              49432        0     49432   0% /run/user/0
root@nanopineo2-nas:~# armbianmonitor -u
/var/log/armhwinfo.log has been uploaded to http://sprunge.us/WGUV
clear
------

Test with 'ext4' on SSD Tmax=50 Speed: up/down=20/40 MB/s ( one file 1GB size used for test to/from SSD on NanopiNeo2)
(path of rootfs it is showed on OMV web UI / Storage / Flash Memory  )
------------
root@nanopineo2-nas:~# df
Filesystem     1K-blocks     Used Available Use% Mounted on
udev               10240        0     10240   0% /dev
tmpfs              98860     4952     93908   6% /run
/dev/sda3        2739504  1541944   1038688  60% /
tmpfs             247148        0    247148   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs               5120        8      5112   1% /run/lock
tmpfs             247148        0    247148   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/mmcblk0p1     59365    27833     28912  50% /boot
tmpfs             247148        4    247144   1% /tmp
/dev/sda2       75294716 20316072  54978644  27% /srv/dev-disk-by-id-usb-JMicron   _Tech_0000000045D9-0-0-part2
folder2ram        247148     2052    245096   1% /var/log
folder2ram        247148        0    247148   0% /var/tmp
folder2ram        247148        0    247148   0% /var/lib/openmediavault/rrd
folder2ram        247148      776    246372   1% /var/spool
folder2ram        247148     9288    237860   4% /var/lib/rrdcached
folder2ram        247148        8    247140   1% /var/lib/monit
folder2ram        247148        4    247144   1% /var/lib/php5
folder2ram        247148        4    247144   1% /var/lib/netatalk/CNID
folder2ram        247148      472    246676   1% /var/cache/samba
tmpfs              49432        0     49432   0% /run/user/0
root@nanopineo2-nas:~# armbianmonitor -u
/var/log/armhwinfo.log has been uploaded to http://sprunge.us/SYaL
------------------

armbianmonitor_vs_df.jpg

13 hours ago, doru said:

Have any idea how can be activate USB port from NAS Dock?

The second one, near to the power button.

This is activated by the armbian version in the beginning of Nov 2017.

At this time the Overlay usbhost1 has been activated - this would activate this USB Port. 

see the following thread:

On 11/22/2017 at 11:55 PM, tkaiser said:

(which I would be fine with given that I really get headache every time looking at nand-sata-install code -- I hope we could drop all the NAND stuff and weird exceptions there)

My thanks are not just words even that are smaller and surely don't cover your effort...thank again.

20 hours ago, guidol said:

This is activated by the armbian version in the beginning of Nov 2017.

At this time the Overlay usbhost1 has been activated - this would activate this USB Port. 

see the following thread:

It seems isn't activate in a 'OMV_3_0_90_Nanopineo2_4.13.10.img' which is the image I used in all of above tests.

And the link to ...'the latest (linux-dtb-next-sunxi64_5.34.171103_arm64.deb)'.... which @zabor.blood.stained refer in that post is broken.

It is any possibility to make that USB port active?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

root@nanopineo2-nas:~# uname -a
Linux nanopineo2-nas 4.13.16-sunxi64 #21 SMP Fri Nov 24 19:58:41 CET 2017 aarch64 GNU/Linux
root@nanopineo2-nas:~# lsusb -t
/:  Bus 07.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=musb-hdrc/1p, 480M
/:  Bus 06.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=ohci-platform/1p, 12M
/:  Bus 05.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=ohci-platform/1p, 12M
/:  Bus 04.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=ehci-platform/1p, 480M
/:  Bus 03.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=ehci-platform/1p, 480M
    |__ Port 1: Dev 2, If 0, Class=Mass Storage, Driver=uas, 480M
/:  Bus 02.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=ohci-platform/1p, 12M
/:  Bus 01.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=ehci-platform/1p, 480M
root@nanopineo2-nas:~#

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, I made yesterday an update from 4.13.10 to 4.13.16 but still don't work.

24 minutes ago, doru said:

Oh, I made yesterday an update from 4.13.10 to 4.13.16 but still don't work.

Yesterday update was focused on stable builds only. 

Go to armbian-config -> system -> hardware configuration and enable USB ports on your own. Simple as that. If it doesn't work we need to look closely ...

56 minutes ago, Igor said:

Yesterday update was focused on stable builds only. 

Go to armbian-config -> system -> hardware configuration and enable USB ports on your own. Simple as that. If it doesn't work we need to look closely ...

It works !

By default just usbhost0, 2 and 3 are activated. (see usbhost1.png)

After I activated usbhost1 the USB port soldered on 1-bay NAS Dock

the storage inserted was recognized. (see OMV_physical_disks.png)

Thanks...

------------------------------------------------------------------

root@nanopineo2-nas:~# lsusb -t
/:  Bus 09.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=musb-hdrc/1p, 480M
/:  Bus 08.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=ohci-platform/1p, 12M
/:  Bus 07.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=ohci-platform/1p, 12M
/:  Bus 06.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=ohci-platform/1p, 12M
/:  Bus 05.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=ehci-platform/1p, 480M
/:  Bus 04.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=ehci-platform/1p, 480M
    |__ Port 1: Dev 2, If 0, Class=Mass Storage, Driver=uas, 480M
/:  Bus 03.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=ehci-platform/1p, 480M
    |__ Port 1: Dev 2, If 0, Class=Mass Storage, Driver=usb-storage, 480M
/:  Bus 02.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=ohci-platform/1p, 12M
/:  Bus 01.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=ehci-platform/1p, 480M

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

OMV_physical_disks.png

usbhost1.png

9 hours ago, doru said:

It works !

By default just usbhost0, 2 and 3 are activated. (see usbhost1.png)

After I activated usbhost1 the USB port soldered on 1-bay NAS Dock

the storage inserted was recognized. (see OMV_physical_disks.png)

at the time I started with armbian on the NanoPi NAS USBHost3 was loaded automatically.

So I activated Overlay 1&2. Not the USBHost0, because I doenst gave me additionally USB-Ports :)

USB_Host_Overlay.jpg