Client side USB forwarding with Rdesktop+windows XP

ATK

Dear all ,

I am successfully running remote windows XP desktop on OPi+2E (using rdesktop ) but not able to forward client side (OPi+2E) local USB port to application running on remote  windows XP server side ... so any workaround/solution recommended ?

Hardware :-  OP+2E

OS(client) :- Armbian Desktop legacy(latest)

OS(Server) :- Win XP Sp3.

1 hour ago, martinayotte said:

What do you mean exactly ? USB remote has nothing to do with RDP ...

You need something like : http://usbip.sourceforge.net/

Locally on my OPi+2E USB port i`hv connected a device(microcontroller) programmer but the application software is windows only and running on remote Win XP desktop .. what i want is the access/connection of this locally USB connected programmer to Windows application running on remote WinXP machine ..

As I said earlier, take a look at "usbip", there are also commercial product doing things similiarly, google "usb over network", you will find several of them.

The main issue is that you wish to have that on cross platform, not all of them exist, but "usbip" exist on Linux thru "apt-get" and also have a Windows binary on sourceforge.

7 hours ago, martinayotte said:

As I said earlier, take a look at "usbip", there are also commercial product doing things similiarly, google "usb over network", you will find several of them.

The main issue is that you wish to have that on cross platform, not all of them exist, but "usbip" exist on Linux thru "apt-get" and also have a Windows binary on sourceforge.

But as far as i can understand , "usbip" is related to devices connected at server side ...am i correct ? what i need is client side usb device talking to native windows application running on remote windows XP server/desktop machine .

28 minutes ago, martinayotte said:

"usbip" has a client and a "usbipd" daemon, so depending where you are running the daemon, it can work on both side, even in both directions if a daemon is running on both side.

daemon on client side is OK as client is running Armbian...but daemon on windows xp server side ? or some separate  windows service/binary/exe available for windows ?

You're right the Windows package doesn't have the "usbipd" daemon.

But you've said "what i need is client side usb device talking to native windows application", this means your USB devices are on SoC board side and you wish to have Windows accessing those device, Right ?

In such case the "usbipd" daemon is on Linux side and the "usbip" client provided by the Windows package will give you access to them.

If you wish the other way around, I think you will be forced to use commercial solutions.

EDIT : This seems to be a freeware version : https://www.virtualhere.com