CubieTruck Nand installation

Guitch

Hello all,

I am very excited to install armbian debian jessie on my cubietruck !

I managed to get the Armbian_5.31_Cubietruck_Debian_jessie_next_4.11.5.img to an SD card, plugged it in, switched it on and everything went perfectly fine! Great!

Now, I am trying to get this OS on the CT Nand. Sadly, the nand-sata-install doesn't work, returning the message : "There are no targets. Please check your drives".

One very strange thing to me is the output of the /proc/partitions files that shows the  following :

major minor  #blocks  name

1        0       4096 ram0
   1        1       4096 ram1
   1        2       4096 ram2
   1        3       4096 ram3
 179        0   15351296 mmcblk0
 179        1   15196752 mmcblk0p1

What is this ram showing up ?!

The Nand currently contains an image of lubuntu server (ct-lubuntu-server-nand-v2.0.img) with 3.4.79 kernel.

When I boot on this system, the output of /proc/partitions file, does show (obviously) the nand partitions :

major minor  #blocks  name

93        0    7520256 nand
  93        1      65536 nanda
  93        2    7340032 nandb
  93        3      98304 nandc

Any explanation on why the nand is not accessible when I boot on the SD card containing the armbian ? What are these 4 4096 ram blocks when booting on the amrbian system on SD card ? How can I transfer the SD card system on to the Nand ?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Guitch

Edited by Guitch

7 hours ago, Guitch said:

Any explanation on why the nand is not accessible when I boot on the SD card containing the armbian ?

Install Armbian with legacy kernel if you want to use NAND (not recommended since its slower than recent SD cards). There is no support for NAND in a modern kernel. 

Hello Igor,

Thanks very much for your quick answer (unlike me :)) !

I now understand that nand cannot be accessed from your Debian Jessy image. I was not aware NAND was slower (which obviously is, I run some performance tests and my class 10 sd card is twice as fast) but was quite surprised to have a clear impression of a slower system than the previous one (lubuntu 13.10) that was installed on nand... I do not know exactly why... I will investigate further...

Thanks again!

Guitch

On 11/6/2017 at 9:22 AM, Igor said:

Install Armbian with legacy kernel if you want to use NAND (not recommended since its slower than recent SD cards). There is no support for NAND in a modern kernel. 

So "Armbian_5.31_Cubieboard2_Debian_jessie_next_4.11.5" has no NAND support?

Damn, I ruined my install, selected "install Next kernel" and... Now either to reinstall 3.4 to NAND or install 4.1 on SD?