Couple of questions about OPi PC+/ OPi 0

fufu2000

Hi everyone,

So far I'm using RPi2 and I would like to change to Orange Pi PC Plus or OrangePi Zero.

I have questions:

1. Does OrangePi Zero share USB with LAN like RPi ???

2. Can I install tvheadend on Armbian with OrangePi Zero?

3. Does OrangePi PC Plus share USB with LAN ?

4. Does RPi camera is compatibile with OrangePi slot?

1. No (4 non shared USB ports + separate LAN)

2.  No idea,  not the fields I'm interested in...  (personal opinion H2+, H3 SBCs aren't best for multimedia purposes, but this just an opinion)

3. No (4 non shared USB ports + separate LAN)

4. No (it's also called CSI, but not the same)

Edit: When you consider using mainline:

• No camera support at the moment (to my knowledge)
  • No hardware accelerated video decoding

Thanks for quick reply.

I had just two questions:

1. I would like to be sure - Does Orange Pi Zero has SEPARATE USB and LAN, yes? Transfer form LAN IS NOT DEVIDED between USB, yes? I'm asking because you wrote above "4 non shared ports" - but OrangePi Zero has just one USB port. So I want to be sure.

2. Is possible to install Raspbian Jessie On Orange Pi Zero?

8 hours ago, fufu2000 said:

So far I'm using RPi2 and I would like to change to Orange Pi PC Plus or OrangePi Zero.

I have questions:

We have a search function (in the upper right of this web site, eg. enter tvheadend there if you need information about tvheadend), we have some documentation, we have device pages like this where you should click on 'hardware details' that should be able to answer all those questions.

If you expect Orange Pis to be 100% compatible to Raspberry Pis then better stay with what you have now. Also due to this here being a way smaller community you'll need to help yourself a bit to succeed (use the search function for example).

16 hours ago, fufu2000 said:

1. I would like to be sure - Does Orange Pi Zero has SEPARATE USB and LAN, yes? Transfer form LAN IS NOT DEVIDED between USB, yes? I'm asking because you wrote above "4 non shared ports" - but OrangePi Zero has just one USB port. So I want to be sure.

Nr.1  port you see, nr. 2&3 on 13 pinheader  nr. 4 is the micro USB (OTG)  (google is your friend.. ;)  )

16 hours ago, fufu2000 said:

2. Is possible to install Raspbian Jessie On Orange Pi Zero?

I'm sure there is 'some sort of raspbian' available for an orange pi, but this is Armbian... :P If you need raspbian than you should stay with raspberry cause all these 'sorts of raspbian' for non RPi's will have their faults, I think you wouldn't be happy with it. 

16 hours ago, Patrick Michaels said:

If you want to do anything more complicated than a simple file/webserver then you're almost certainly better off sticking with raspberry pi. Hardware/software support & documentation for orange pi seems to be bad all around. 

I disagree (partly). Ok, if you want to have a multimedia center on SBC you're right (but, when I need a multimedia center I'll buy an android box, cause that's what they're made for..:D but I'm not interested in multimedia stuff at all). The only use case where I still use raspberries is everything with cameras. 

You get much more 'pre-solved' solutions for the RPis everything is more or less solved and it works 'out of the box'. But getting things to work is much more fun than just follow a *random manual" for a *random use case*. ;) 

Thanks for all answers. Reason I would like to buy OrangePi is to install Tvheadend serwer for recording TV. Now I'm using RPi for this and all is working fine beside one thing - errors in .ts stream which comes from DVB-C bandwidth. With DVB-T all working fine because bitrate from dvb-t dongle is much lower than from dvb-c dongle and RPi can't handle at the same USB with LAN and with dvb-c stick. Situation is little better when I lock CPU performance, but still I can't at the same time watching movies from internet and recording stream from TV. 

So in this situation I thought about second device just for Tvheadend. OrangePi Zero has H2 1,2 GHz which should be enough for this. I don't need HDMI because Tvheadend server is operating via web browser. 

If these streams require 8 MB/s or less an OPi Zero should work fine. But AFAIK for tvheadend mainline kernel is recommended so you would have to wait a few weeks for new Armbian release and supported mainline kernel config for H3 boards (then it's just armbian-monitor --> "Install TV headend").

Or you use so called nightly images in the meantime: https://dl.armbian.com/orangepizero/nightly/

https://www.armbian.com/logbook/

v4.81 / 28.12.2015

• complete build script rework
  • new development kernel package linux-image-dev-sunxi (4.4RC6) for Allwinner boards

:P

Probably not what you meant.... :lol:

I try to explain it a little bit (for H3 boards):

Legacy - Armbian built with the 3.4 kernel provided by Allwinners BSP-Package (based on a 3.4.39 kernel with adjustments which are not mainlined and therefore not available on kernel.org. This kernel was patched to 3.4.113 but not mainlined).

Mainline - Kernel source from kernel.org. To run mainline on an SBC, someone needs to write and submit all these drivers which are needed to run an Armbian on such a board (e.g. USB-,  ETH-, SD/eMMC-drivers). For Allwinner SoCs this is done by the guys from linux-sunxi.org. As you can see in their Status-Matrix,  during 4.4 Kernel, more or less nothing was mainlined for the H3 SoC. So, if I want to give you a short answer,  you'll never see an Armbian (for H3 boards) based on 4.4 Kernel. :D 

Mainline Armbian is based on 4.13.x kernel (at the moment) but not (fully) ready for end-users. To get a deeper insight, I suggest you read our nicely written docs and maybe also through this page a little bit. If this is too much work, I suggest you should try this:

On 9.11.2017 at 9:23 PM, fufu2000 said:

I can wait, it's not problem :) 

Until 'armbian mainline' for H3 boards is marked as 'stable'.  'Mainlineing' a SoC is a huge amount of work (adjustments to get proper support for a specific board with a 'mainlined SoC' too). So it might need a little bit longer as you think.  ;) I also suggest that you get in contact with my best friends on this forum, search function and google custom search engine (sorry @all_others, you've no chance against them.. :P): 

search.jpg.5549006196a9e503c95455e89ff022a5.jpg

Cause I think most of your questions can be solved by consulting my two 'best friends'. :) 

Hmm, if 4.13.* is more recent than 4.4.* why I can't handle for example DVB-C card which is fully supported in Raspbian 4.4.* jessie?

I will make new topic and describe problem which I have with DVBSky T330 USB Stick on OrangePi Zero. Looks that Armbian nighlty build recognize this stik and loading drivers, but Tvheadend show just DVB-T but not DVB-C from this stick. I was trying to compile drivers from DVBSky website: http://www.dvbsky.net/Support_linux.html to have DVB-C recognize, but with no succsess :( (errors while compile)

25 minutes ago, fufu2000 said:

Hmm, if 4.13.* is more recent than 4.4.* why I can't handle for example DVB-C card which is fully supported in Raspbian 4.4.* jessie?

Each ARM board has its own kernel development ... almost ... and then there is mainline kernel where support is very basic. No video drivers for example ... It is more complicated than this, but this explanation should be good enough to understand the problem.

You need to port this driver from that kernel to modern 4.14 kernel and you will have it here. Check if is perhaps already ported to more recent development Raspbian kernels if exists ... in that case, porting should be more simple.

We are just a few people and can't support all possible hardware on this planet - we already struggle with a base onboard hardware, which is easy on RPi since it is a simple machine/toy. If you or somebody port that driver, we will include it in the kernel. It might be a half an hour job or weeks.

It's possible to build a driver on the board ... but. If things break this means there is some incompatibility with between source code, kernel and compiler. This problem is for you to solve. 

Well, all is working :)

Problem was with Tvheadend version in armbian-config: HTS Tvheadend 4.0.9-13~g64fec81

This is little old version of Tvh. Would be nice to put some new version in armbian-config.

Below is install procedure if someone has the same issue with DVBSky Sticks to get DVB-C working on OP Zero:

1. After installing and configure Armbian put DVB Stick to USB and make reboot

2. Install firmware and reboot:

wget http://www.dvbsky.net/download/linux/dvbsky-firmware.tar.gz

tar -zxvf dvbsky-firmware.tar.gz

cd dvbsky-firmware

sudo ./copy-firmware.sh

3. Install TVheadend version 4.2:

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys 379CE192D401AB61

echo "deb https://dl.bintray.com/tvheadend/deb xenial stable-4.2" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list

apt-get update

apt-get install tvheadend

Now DVB-C is recognized in Tvh.

Many thanks!

But with Tvh 4.2 is some strange problem that OP Zero hangs after few second when recording starts. I don't know why is that, I working with Mark Clarkstone on this issue:

https://tvheadend.org/boards/5/topics/29344?r=29594

Maybe is some Tvh setting which makes this issue. Of coure we talking about DVB-C. I don't know that the same is with DVB-T.

1 hour ago, fufu2000 said:

Maybe is some Tvh setting which makes this issue. Of coure we talking about DVB-C. I don't know that the same is with DVB-T.

Remember that 4.13.y kernel is considered testing, a bad driver could hang the board, while the software ... it could also eat memory or something like that?