H3 I2S0 DT overlay

Christos

It would make more sense to work with the mainline driver and fix issues with it over than working with this sun8i-i2s driver. So from what I read you have an external G-Dis DAC and some highly accurate clock board which you wish to clock both the dac and SoC with. What other connections do you have from the nanopi?, are the gpio's mentioned in the overlay used?

Overlays should be fairly straight forward, can you try this?.

// Definitions for G-Dis DAC
/dts-v1/;
/plugin/;

/ {
	compatible = "allwinner,sun8i-h3";

fragment@0 {
		target = <&i2s0>;
		__overlay__ {
			pinctrl-0 = <&i2s0_pins>;
			pinctrl-names = "default";
			status = "okay";
		};
	};

fragment@1 {
		target-path = "/";
		__overlay__ {
			i2s0_out: i2s0-out {
				#sound-dai-cells = <0>;
				compatible = "linux,spdif-dit";
			};

sound_i2s {
				simple-audio-card,name = "G-Dis DAC";
				compatible = "simple-audio-card";
				simple-audio-card,format = "i2s";
				simple-audio-card,bitclock-master = <&codec_dai>; 
				simple-audio-card,frame-master = <&codec_dai>; 
				simple-audio-card,mclk-fs = <256>;
				status = "okay";

simple-audio-card,cpu {
					sound-dai = <&i2s0>;
				};

codec_dai: simple-audio-card,codec {
					sound-dai = <&i2s0_out>;
				};
			};
		};
	};
};

What did you use to get it working with the Raspberry pi?,

CK

Edited by codekipper
code update

I must start saying thank you for trying helping me.

I am back in Stockholm now and I will try your suggestion  tomorrow.

I am loading this overlay to RPi

/dts-v1/;
/plugin/;

/ {
    compatible = "brcm,bcm2708";

fragment@0 {
        target = <&i2s>;
        __overlay__ {
            status = "okay";
            };
    };

fragment@1 {
        target-path = "/";
        __overlay__ {
            pcm1794a_codec: pcm1794a_codec {
                #sound-dai-cells = <0>;
                compatible = "ti,pcm1794a";
                status = "okay";
            };
        };
    };

fragment@2 {
        target = <&sound>;
        __overlay__ {
            compatible = "simple-audio-card";
            simple-audio-card,name = "G-Dis-DAC";
            simple-audio-card,format = "right_j";
            simple-audio-card,bitclock-master = <&codec_dai>;
            simple-audio-card,frame-master = <&codec_dai>;
            status="okay";

cpu_dai: simple-audio-card,cpu {
                sound-dai = <&i2s>;
                dai-tdm-slot-num = <2>;
                dai-tdm-slot-width = <32>;
            };

codec_dai: simple-audio-card,codec {
                sound-dai = <&pcm1794a_codec>;
            };
        };
    };
};

I agree with you about using the mainline driver but according to some answers earlier in the thread I thought it didnt supported slave mode.

I can post some pictures of my dac/reclocking board ao you can see how it looks like.

OK, we can reuse most of the working overlay and adapt it for the h3. Slave mode should be supported by the mainline driver but I've not tested it, however I do have a master codec in the post which should get to me sometime this week. Do you have access to a logic analyser?,

BR,
CK

6 minutes ago, codekipper said:

OK, we can reuse most of the working overlay and adapt it for the h3. Slave mode should be supported by the mainline driver but I've not tested it, however I do have a master codec in the post which should get to me sometime this week. Do you have access to a logic analyser?,

BR,
CK

Slave mode assume that externals source of the bit- and lr-clocks controls by driver,  but I can't saw where is it. And as I see mainline driver support only 16 bit sample.
I worked with friendlyarm's variant because it was most complete. Now I want modify mainline driver for support 16/24 bit master/slave and test it on nanopi neo (2, air) and cubietruck.

mainline should support slave mode

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/sound/soc/sunxi/sun4i-i2s.c?h=v4.15-rc2#n502

there is also a few patches which I haven't delivered yet here

https://github.com/codekipper/linux-sunxi/commits/sunxi-wip

however I still need to test these properly before pushing for mainline. I'm also trying to come up with a cleaner solution for when the codec expects 32bits frame width.

3 minutes ago, codekipper said:

mainline should support slave mode

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/sound/soc/sunxi/sun4i-i2s.c?h=v4.15-rc2#n502

there is also a few patches which I haven't delivered yet here

https://github.com/codekipper/linux-sunxi/commits/sunxi-wip

however I still need to test these properly before pushing for mainline. I'm also trying to come up with a cleaner solution for when the codec expects 32bits frame width.

Thank you for information. I only now began to understand mainline driver. I have some hardware (cubietruck, nanopi neo and nanopi neo 2), clocks board (schematic attached) and simple logic analyzer. I can try testing your modification.

neoclock - Project.pdf

1 hour ago, codekipper said:

please do....I've currently got a logic analyser on my pcm5102a boards and I'm seeing issues with the clock division which I will address. It would be good to have someone testing on an older board as my A20 EVB is no longer booting.

OK, I'll built fresh armbian image for nanopi neo and can check your code. One question: why oversample rates started with 128 but not 64 (32 bit frame) or 32 (16 bit frame)?

Quick info about testing.
- nanopi neo
- armbian image builded from github sources
- i2s module by codekipper
- overlay from codekipper's post (but simple-audio-card,mclk-fs = <128>).

Because my clock board without pins control works on 176400 all test with this sample rate:

aplay -c 2 -f S16_LE -r 176400 /dev/urandom - working and I see some data on dout pin
aplay -c 2 -f S24_LE -r 176400 /dev/urandom - aplay: pcm_write:2011: write error: Input/output error
aplay -c 2 -f S32_LE -r 176400 /dev/urandom - no error and zero data on dout pin

I did some testing today and I can tell that the overlay you suggested works just fine both  as slave and right justified format.

I only played 16/44 tracks (feeding nanopi neo with a 2.8224 MHz bitclock and a 44.1 KHz LRclock from my clockcard).

My setup is almost identical as nikkov  except for the external clock card 

I will do some more testing and report back. I have some small issues with pops and clicks when the nanopi is in pause state but I dont think it has something to do with the software.

10 hours ago, codekipper said:

Congratulations, this is the first time slave clock has been utilised on the mainline driver. Do you have my debug enabled?, it would be nice to see register settings during playback. I'll follow the same test procedures when I get my new codec.

Yes, your debug output I see in kernel.log

For full-fledged testing, I need to add a codec driver to specify the hardware modes for my clocks board:
i2s mode;
32 bit frame size independents from sample size;
divider for BCLK/LRCLK driven by GPIO.

I'll try made this in near time.

16 hours ago, codekipper said:

I guess we've just never had all the possible information, the oversample rates were documented in the A20 user manual (128 was the lowest)but not in the later iterations.

Yes, I found this values in A20 user manual. But it's related only for master mode i2s which clocked by PLL, and can't used for external clock and slave mode bus. So we must check oversample value only for master mode!

On 23.12.2017 at 8:57 PM, codekipper said:

I've been distracted by the audioinjector codec of late and it's driven some changes that I'll push later once tested with other hardware

https://github.com/codekipper/linux-sunxi/commits/audioinjector

CK

I checked your wip i2s driver code with my hardware and simple codec driver for my clock board. In function sun4i_i2s_set_clk_rate calculates lrck value as

(clk_rate / rate / oversample_rate)*word_size

and we have, eg (22579200 / 44100 / 128) * 16 = 64 of BCLKs within each channel. But in stereo i2s mode lrck value must be equal slot width. In stable version lrck fixed and equal 32. After I replace calculated value lrck to fixed 32 I successfully played 16/24 bit sample.

I have PCM5102a DAC I would like to use with my OrangePI PC. I currently use latest mainline from armbian. Can someone guide me a little how to get it work?

Do I need to additional kernel modules for DAC to work? Or all I need is to provide DT overlay? Something like it was done here: https://github.com/codekipper/linux-sunxi/commit/a2142b12269970daa1e3895a413a7e19230f9530

EDIT: Ups. I just noticed this thread is in devel section. So If nobody replies I will ask in support group.

Edited by Pavel Löbl
probably wrong board section

I decompiled the sun8i-h3-nanopi-neo.dts from FriendlyARM for the complete hardware in a mainline kernel to a .dts :

dtc -I dtb -O dts -o ./sun8i-h3-nanopi-neo.dts ./sun8i-h3-nanopi-neo.dtb

Is there any change to get from this .dts a working i2s0 overlay-dts for armbian mainline?

I did try to cut out the i2s & pcm5102a parts..... but I think there is also a recompile of the kernel necessary?

Iam a bit stuck what I can do with these parts :(

The friendlyARM mainline image des disable i2c1 and does enable is20 like for we did here in the forum for the legacy kernel in the .fex file:

sudo bin2fex script.bin script.fex
sudo nano script.fex

[twi1]
twi_used = 1   ==>  twi_used = 0

[pcm0]
daudio_used = 0 ==>  daudio_used = 1

sudo fex2bin script.fex script.bin

i2s_parts_sun8i-h3-nanopi-neo.dts

sun8i-h3-nanopi-neo.dts

Hi all. I'm still struggling to capture I2S audio on my OrangePi PC (H3), mainline kernel. I've followed all steps by @Valery Rezvyakov and was able to see the I2S input device with arecord -l, just like @Christos. However, audio is not captured properly: there is an annoying DC offset at about 99% of maximum output value, thus only downwards signal excursion is possible (in fact, they are captured, as I can see them with Audacity).

I'm using Adafruit SPH0645 I2S microphone as the capture device, and it's not a hardware problem because it works perfectly with legacy kernel. Audio format in both cases (legacy and mainline) is S16_LE.

My suspicion is that the adau7002 driver is not suitable for my mic, but I was not able to find out where to meddle with.

On 4/12/2018 at 1:59 PM, felipeduque said:

Hi all. I'm still struggling to capture I2S audio on my OrangePi PC (H3), mainline kernel. I've followed all steps by @Valery Rezvyakov and was able to see the I2S input device with arecord -l, just like @Christos. However, audio is not captured properly: there is an annoying DC offset at about 99% of maximum output value, thus only downwards signal excursion is possible (in fact, they are captured, as I can see them with Audacity).

I'm using Adafruit SPH0645 I2S microphone as the capture device, and it's not a hardware problem because it works perfectly with legacy kernel. Audio format in both cases (legacy and mainline) is S16_LE.

My suspicion is that the adau7002 driver is not suitable for my mic, but I was not able to find out where to meddle with. Can anyone help a poor soul? :)

Yes it is not a hardware problem, or it is in an indirect way...

Your legacy kernel works with it because it,kernel, does modify your settings on the ALSA layer probably. I don't want to go into details that I am not confident. However, I have used the same I2S microphone with NanoPi NEO which is another H3 board.

Simply, your mic doesn't support S16_LE, if you read its datasheet you can see that it sends 24 bit data, last 6 bits are nulls. However, I couldn't manage to set my I2S driver to 24 bits, logic analyzer showed that clocks are not properly set for that mode -- since I am not a kernel expert, I couldn't dive into registers and fix this --. So, I modified my devicetree file as well as sun4i-i2s.c file with @codekipper 's patches and some others combined with my educated guesses. When I run `arecord` I do use `S16_LE`. However, on my devicetree file, there is a override for this and it is set to 32 bits. This way you can use your mics. Since you're trying to use 16-bit at the moment, alsa thinks there is a saturation on the data, mic sends 18 bit data in a 24bit package. This is the issue that you're facing. 

On 3/20/2018 at 10:06 PM, guidol said:

sudo bin2fex script.bin script.fex
sudo nano script.fex

[twi1]
twi_used = 1   ==>  twi_used = 0

[pcm0]
daudio_used = 0 ==>  daudio_used = 1

sudo fex2bin script.fex script.bin

today I udated my legacy NanoPi Neo to 

ARMBIAN 5.60 stable Debian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie) 3.4.113-sun8i

Linux neo-pcm5102a 3.4.113-sun8i #68 SMP PREEMPT Wed Sep 19 10:23:30 CEST 2018 armv7l GNU/Linux

and the pcm5102a Audio module didnt work anymore because of a new "script.bin" at /boot/bin/nanopineo.bin

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      17 Nov 25  2017 script.bin -> bin/nanopineo.bin

So I had to redo the changes to the .bin/.fex like before:
cd /boot/bin

bin2fex nanopineo.bin nanopineo.fex
nano /boot/bin/nanopineo.fex :

[twi1]
twi_used = 0
[pcm0]
daudio_used = 1

Spoiler

[twi1]
twi_used = 0
twi_scl = port:PA18<3><default><default><default>
twi_sda = port:PA19<3><default><default><default>

[pcm0]
daudio_used = 1
daudio_master = 4
daudio_select = 1
audio_format = 1
signal_inversion = 1
mclk_fs = 128
sample_resolution = 16
slot_width_select = 32
pcm_lrck_period = 32
pcm_lrckr_period = 1
msb_lsb_first = 0
sign_extend = 0
slot_index = 0
slot_width = 32
frame_width = 0
tx_data_mode = 0
rx_data_mode = 0
i2s_mclk = port:PA18<2><1><default><default>
i2s_bclk = port:PA19<2><1><default><default>
i2s_dout0 = port:PA20<2><1><default><default>
i2s_din = port:PA21<2><1><default><default>

fex2bin nanopineo.fex nanopineo.bin

reboot

and the pcm5102a soundcard is available like before the update:

root@neo-pcm5102a(addr:192.168.6.24):~# aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: audiocodec [audiocodec], device 0: SUNXI-CODEC sndcodec-0 []
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: snddaudio [snddaudio], device 0: SUNXI-TDM0 snddaudio-0 []
  Subdevices: 0/1
card 2: sndhdmi [sndhdmi], device 0: SUNXI-HDMIAUDIO sndhdmi-0 []

On 11/13/2017 at 5:22 PM, Valery Rezvyakov said:

make linux-menuconfig (by buildroot)

Device Drivers
     ----->Sound card support
           ----->Advanced Linux Sound Archtecture
                 ------>ALSA for Soc audio support
                        --------->Allwinner Soc Audio support
                                 [*]Allwinner A10 I2S Support

patch:

diff --git a/sound/soc/sunxi/Kconfig b/sound/soc/sunxi/Kconfig
index 22408bc..7842de4 100644
--- a/sound/soc/sunxi/Kconfig
+++ b/sound/soc/sunxi/Kconfig
@@ -30,8 +30,10 @@ config SND_SUN8I_CODEC_ANALOG

config SND_SUN4I_I2S
 	tristate "Allwinner A10 I2S Support"
+       depends on OF
 	select SND_SOC_GENERIC_DMAENGINE_PCM
 	select REGMAP_MMIO
+       select SND_SOC_PCM5102A
 	help
 	  Say Y or M if you want to add support for codecs attached to
 	  the Allwinner A10 I2S. You will also need to select the

On the Orange:

dpkg -i linux-headers-next-sunxi_5.34_armhf.deb

file sun8i-h3-I2S-out.dts :

armbian-add-overlay sun8i-h3-I2S-out.dts
reboot

results:

root@orangepipc:~# uname -a
Linux orangepipc 4.13.12-sunxi #6 SMP Tue Nov 14 02:58:07 MSK 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux

root@orangepipc:~# cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [I2Smaster      ]: I2S-master - I2S-master
                      I2S-master
 1 [Codec          ]: H3_Audio_Codec - H3 Audio Codec
                      H3 Audio Codec
 2 [allwinnerhdmi  ]: allwinner_hdmi - allwinner,hdmi
                      allwinner,hdmi
root@orangepipc:~# dmesg |grep i2s
[    9.529374] asoc-simple-card sound_i2s: pcm5102a-hifi <-> 1c22000.i2s mapping ok
[   10.406113] asoc-simple-card sound: i2s-hifi <-> 1c22800.i2s mapping ok
root@orangepipc:~# aplay -l
card 0: I2Smaster [I2S-master], device 0: 1c22000.i2s-pcm5102a-hifi pcm5102a-hifi-0 []
card 1: Codec [H3 Audio Codec], device 0: CDC PCM Codec-0 []
card 2: allwinnerhdmi [allwinner,hdmi], device 0: 1c22800.i2s-i2s-hifi i2s-hifi-0 []

@Valery Rezvyakov I try released version Armbian 5.65 for Banana-Pi-M2+ and find out I2S and HDMI audio doesn't work
aplay -l shows

-----------------

root@bananapim2plus:/boot/overlay-user# aplay -l
card 0: Codec [H3 Audio Codec], device 0: CDC PCM Codec-0 []
card 2: Set [C-Media USB Headphone Set], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]

So I follow your instruction above but I don't understand where you execute this "make linux-menuconfig (by buildroot)" ?

I follow this cross-compile builing kernel https://docs.armbian.com/Developer-Guide_Build-Preparation/

But I cannot execute "make linux-menuconfig"

OK, I manage to compile kernel module and copy them into my Banana-Pi-M2+

However it gives me error below .... what's wrong? snd-soc-pcm5102a already copied into that directory

root@bananapim2plus:/boot# modprobe snd-soc-pcm5102a
modprobe: FATAL: Module snd-soc-pcm5102a not found in directory /lib/modules/4.14.78-sunxi

On 11/20/2017 at 9:05 AM, nikkov said:

Not related to armbian, but I made some work with friendlyarm kernel 4.11.2 for support i2s driver for h3/h5 with support 16/24 bit master/slave mode i2s (link) and build Volumio image for nanopi neo (link). In future I want to get same in mainline kernel.

@nikkov also not armbian related, any chance you tried this or want to try ?

NanoPi-NEO2 の I2SでMCLK出力 & 384kHz, 768kHz, 1536kHz, 8kHz

https://qiita.com/blue-7/items/d643cc9e441ca594a01e

http://www.single-ended.com/Nanopi-neo.htm