OpiPC2's USB HDD performance issues

comrade_bear

On my Orange Pi PC2, I try to copy some file from external USB HDD ,  the read speed is only 1MB /s.

The HDD is 2.5" 1TB NTFS format, could this be a power insufficient issue?  Or I missed to mounting it properly?

Edited by zador.blood.stained
Merged and renamed 2 similar threads

I give up finally. So much time went into tools to help supporting user problems while users refuse to use them and provide the needed information. The link above asks for the output of 'armbianmonitor -u' (containing most important info at the end of the uploaded stuff eg. 'lsusb -t' output).

Same with those useless 'headers' in each and every subforum. They are obviously invisible to users. What an insane mess...

32 minutes ago, tkaiser said:

I give up finally. So much time went into tools to help supporting user problems while users refuse to use them and provide the needed information. The link above asks for the output of 'armbianmonitor -u' (containing most important info at the end of the uploaded stuff eg. 'lsusb -t' output).

Same with those useless 'headers' in each and every subforum. They are obviously invisible to users. What an insane mess...

Sorry to mess it, I'm new to the forum, and the process to find the solution. I've attach the armhwinfo.log manually in the last reply (AMonitor prompt"network firewall problem" at my first try), I thought it was what you ask for.  The link is http://sprunge.us/MHBP, thank you for your reply.

I understand your frustration, please accept my apologies.

9 minutes ago, comrade_bear said:

This is what I was looking for:

/:  Bus 08.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=ohci-platform/1p, 12M
    |__ Port 1: Dev 2, If 0, Class=Mass Storage, Driver=usb-storage, 12M

For whatever reasons that's not Hi-Speed (480Mbps) but so called 'Full-Speed' (12Mbps). The USB-to-SATA bridge you're using (Norelsys) is crap BTW (advertises itself as being UAS capable but isn't and has most probably other flaws as well). Check dmesg output at the bottom please:

[19909.593371] usb 8-1: not running at top speed; connect to a high speed hub

(no idea why the kernel tells you to 'connect to a high speed hub' since my personal recommendation with Norelsys SATA briges is to throw them away)

BTW: If you solved this problem your next challenge will be shitty performance due to NTFS (using FUSE and being slow as hell while fully occupying at least a single CPU core)

24 minutes ago, tkaiser said:

BTW: If you solved this problem your next challenge will be shitty performance due to NTFS (using FUSE and being slow as hell while fully occupying at least a single CPU core)

My knowledge is limited even to archive simple task on these SBC,  I still trying to find good resources to improve my understanding. Your reply is a lot of help to me, thank you. 

Connected with a JMS567 controller SATA to USB3.0 adapter, my PC2 managed to read and write at external HDD(NTFS) near 30MB/s, but the H5 CPU load percentage is above 70% on all 4 core,  is there any tweaks I can apply to lower the CPU load? Or I have to change the Disk type to linux native formats? 

Also I didn't use tools like smartctl or hdparm before, are they useable on Armbian?  I didn't get enough info from them through the JMS567 SATA to USB setup,  are these issues casue by the adapter or the OS?

3 minutes ago, comrade_bear said:

read and write at external HDD(NTFS) near 30MB/s, but the H5 CPU load percentage is above 70% on all 4 core,  is there any tweaks I can apply to lower the CPU load?

Maybe there are commercial NTFS drivers available (for ARM) but I would simply drop the idea to use NTFS since as it's implemented in a standard Debian or Ubuntu ('ntfs-3g' package: 'read/write NTFS driver for FUSE') it will always be the worst combination of slow and ressource hungry.

I would simply use a 'native' filesystem on Linux (ext4 or btrfs) and if you need something to interchange between different systems maybe ExFAT is a solution (no idea, I stopped this idea years ago when I did some tests with ExFat and UDF and especially the latter turned into a nightmare)

1 minute ago, tkaiser said:

Maybe there are commercial NTFS drivers available (for ARM) but I would simply drop the idea to use NTFS since as it's implemented in a standard Debian or Ubuntu ('ntfs-3g' package: 'read/write NTFS driver for FUSE') it will always be the worst combination of slow and ressource hungry.

I would simply use a 'native' filesystem on Linux (ext4 or btrfs) and if you need something to interchange between different systems maybe ExFAT is a solution (no idea, I stopped this idea years ago when I did some tests with ExFat and UDF and especially the latter turned into a nightmare)

Thank you, I will try to convert the HDD, guess it will take a while for a 1T drive on USB2.0 ARM SBC.