The best SoC/devboard/TV-box for HW accelerated desktop

fossxplorer

With many users here in this forum owning different SoCs, dev boards and TV boxes, i wonder which one would be recommended to be used as a simple desktop with HW support for GUI.

I have one S905 in my mind, but not sure if mali-450 is supported with balbes150 images.

Do not use a desktop that requires hw acceleration in any computer, because you want all the hw power for the applications. Xfce is light, fast, stable and freely configurable. With the Sunvell T95z Plus Amlogic S912 tv box the Xfce desktop and youtube videos works fine with help of 8 cpu cores. I have made the Debian testing Xfce distribution for my device. You can download it from here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsNzZn-luc0

On 12/2/2017 at 8:37 PM, balbes150 said:

What do You HW in the DE ?

To avoid having the CPU being heavily loaded by using some simple apps with GUI. And with H96Pro+ S912 the desktop feels slow in all aspects. But using it as headless, i'm very satiesfied though. Now i've ordered H96 Plus with S905/2G/16G + 1GbE which costs ~ 1/half of S912 boxes. I wonder if that might make up for a lightweight desktop.

@debianxfce, thx. I'll give yours image a try on H96 plus S905 when it arrives.

On 2.12.2017 at 9:28 AM, debianxfce said:

Do not use a desktop that requires hw acceleration in any computer, because you want all the hw power for the applications. [...] With the Sunvell T95z Plus Amlogic S912 tv box the Xfce desktop and youtube videos works fine with help of 8 cpu cores. I have made the Debian testing Xfce distribution for my device. [...]

Hello debianxfce, I've download your image, but still haven't bought the HW (Sunvell T95z) itself. Did your original HW came with Android 5.x/6.x pre-installed? Did you just created system image, copied it to microSD and it boots from microSD (out-of-the-box)? Or does it (the installation process) require some "special tricks"? Could you write something more about it? Thank you in advance.