Move img from EMMC then to another board EMMC

Robert LabTeam

Hi
I am trying to prepare SD card that I will be able to copy the same image to several boards:
- I have my final OS on EMMC of "mother" board(installed with nand-sata-install),
- copy os to SD card using dd if=...of=.., so I got .img file

How to clone emmc content to  another boards? I know I can use nand-sata -install (preprare my final OS on SD card and the copy to all boards), but it is not quick way. Raw copy is much faster. Any ideas? Of course dd if=my.img of=/emmc does not work  - some problem with boot.

On 12/4/2017 at 11:44 AM, Robert LabTeam said:

How to clone emmc content to  another boards?

I would recommend instead that you install the base OS to NAND using the provided script and then use a configuration management tool like Ansible or Puppet to get the node into the final state.

Copying an image from one board to another is a bad idea for a few reasons:

• your SSH host keys will be the same
  • your hostnames will be the same
  • network configuration (if static) will need adjustment

If you want to provision and manage many boards, a configuration management system like Ansible or Puppet is the best method.

If this really doesn't work for you and you can only make a copy, then I would look into doing it at a filesystem level instead of a block level. rsync in archive mode (rsync -a) is a good tool for making filesystem level copies.

4 hours ago, Robert LabTeam said:

I am wondering if it is some fault that nand-sata-install takes 75 minutes to transfer 4744MB.

For low-mid-cost SD card, this is completely normal. We plan to push development on an eMMC flasher (from SD or via FEL mode), which will speed this process up dramatically. But it will be a direct copy only, which means limited customization options.