Espressobin mPCIe Wifi adapter not recognised

ckr

Hi there,

I've recently ordered a miniPCIe Wifi adapter for the Espressobin, so it can act as WiFi Access Point. The device does recognise the card (using `pci` in u-boot lists the device), but the kernel doesn't. All I can see is the following in dmesg output:

[    2.969072] advk-pcie d0070000.pcie: link never came up
[    2.974496] advk-pcie d0070000.pcie: PCI host bridge to bus 0000:00
[    2.980995] pci_bus 0000:00: root bus resource [bus 00-ff]
[    2.986325] pci_bus 0000:00: root bus resource [mem 0xe8000000-0xe8ffffff]
[    2.993793] pci_bus 0000:00: root bus resource [io  0x0000-0xffff] (bus address [0xe9000000-0xe9)
[    4.435260] advk-pcie d0070000.pcie: Posted PIO Response Status: CA, 0xe00 @ 0x0

u-boot is at its latest version from the Espressobin website. The affected Wifi card is a Compex WLE600VX which should work with the ath10k driver.

What options do I have? GlobalScale (the manufacturer of the Espressobin board) recommended to buy their miniPCIe Wifi module, which needs to be shipped from overseas which I want to avoid if possible. Thanks for any hints.

Thanks for your reply. This makes some things more clear to me.

For the time being, I've ordered a USB-based WiFi AC speed card for testing purposes which works great so far.

I'm just wondering why other cards may work while these ath10k cards have issues. As far as I know both the Espressobin and the Clearfog uses the Marvell u-boot from Github. However, I'm not really willing to flash a custom-built u-boot version (and probably find a way to incorporate changes to get it running) because some people have reported to brick their device when flashing a custom-built u-boot firmware. I'm absolutely new to this embedded stuff and have dig into this to figure out how to work with it.

15 minutes ago, ckr said:

For the time being, I've ordered a USB-based WiFi AC speed card for testing purposes which works great so far.

We have very good results with Realtek 8811/8812/8814. I hope you order those? :)

15 minutes ago, ckr said:

because some people have reported to brick their device when flashing a custom-built u-boot firmware.

I managed to brick my Espressobin but was able to bring it back. Clearfog is different enough beast and is here for some time, while Espressobin still has glitches here and there. It is safe to update u-boot from our download - those are the latest builds: https://dl.armbian.com/espressobin/u-boot but the problem with non-working ath10 card exists.

On 05/12/2017 at 7:45 PM, Igor said:

We have very good results with Realtek 8811/8812/8814. I hope you order those? :)

Yeah, I basically ordered one with an rtl8811au chip. Works fine so far. I'm able to get up to 116 Mbits in AC mode, 109 in N mode from short distance. I guess a miniPCIe card will do even better.