Properly powering the Tinkerboard

Aqua

armbianmonitor -m only shows

Time        CPU    load %cpu %sys %usr %nice %io %irq   CPU  C.St.

23:20:42: 1800MHz  0.00   1%   0%   0%   0%   0%   0% 39.5°C  0/14
23:20:47:  600MHz  0.00   0%   0%   0%   0%   0%   0% 38.6°C  0/14
23:20:52:  600MHz  0.00   0%   0%   0%   0%   0%   0% 39.1°C  0/14^C

• Igor pinned this topic

I have done a number of test's on the tinker board. I have found that they are the most stable when powered via 2 inputs, using the MICRO usb and the GPIO. AND using 5.3v DC... 5.2v works but 5.3v has shown to be much more stable. and the voltage drop out is eliminated. Also the tinkerboard should not be run with out a heat sink period.      I talk about my power system  setup here https://github.com/berinc/Asus-Tinker-Board photos of my setup here https://photos.app.goo.gl/GvprVxFfbKAWY7VR7

On 12/9/2017 at 11:32 AM, Aqua said:

Your responses have been very helpful.

One other thing: Is damaging my peripherals something I should be worried about if I'm powering straight to the GPIO pins?

aqua everything that is 5v is directly connected to each other. its the 5v rail on the tinkerboard motherboard. Infact you could power the thinkerboard using the usb ports alone.. (not talking about the micro offical usb power supply port). USB is designed to be tolerant of up to a max of 5.6v DC. anything over that may cause damage. FYI most  usb devices are 3.3v and have a 5v to 3v step down power supply, ether a liner or DC-DC system.  supplying the tinkerboard with 5.3v means you get more power with less current, This means less heat and less strain on the tinker board power supply system (low voltage for the cpu supply). The main reason the tinkerboard has a reboot cycle issue is 100% due to not having a good power bus system setup on the board. and bumping the voltage a little will solve it period.

I know I need to somehow transform AC power to two cables which I then connect to a 5V in and GND pin..... what is the gadget named?

Or do I need to make one myself? If so how?
(In Chinese) 在台灣有賣這樣的東西嗎? 我要用怎樣的名稱去Google或是問電子材料行? 還是這個需要DIY?

@ning I just caught up with the forums, I've not been on them in a long time.  Please keep all political discussion off of these boards.  Also, please stick to English for the benefit of the community in general.

@axzxc1236 You could use something like this https://www.amazon.com/MakerFocus-Raspberry-Expansion-DockerPi-Compatible/dp/B07VK5L164/

Just double check it has no special connection that only works with the Pi 4.  There are a lot of these available from various vendors.

idk if this is the proper way to comment, but i made a forum post about powering tinkerboard, inspired from this question

to keep it short: i didnt find any difference between powering via USB, GPIO, or USB-GPIO (by user @berin). still shut itself down when it hit 3A sustained, i can power it from 3.4V to 6.2V without triggering the power delivery's undervoltage or overvoltage switches. i concluded that even microusb and/or gpio would do so long as it wont all hit 3A.

i used this power adjustable power supply to make my adjustment. idk if this is in line with y'all findings. the operating voltages are 0.7V too high

also idk if it's exact in relying the own board's voltmeter and ammeter. actual lab supplies arent reachable for me, and my multimeter's broken down so i can't do a second opinion, or even probing pins.

thanks for anyone's help.

@xAda hehe I have not touched my tinkerboard in some time because of the "boot" issues. I have not reviewed my past posts but as I recall I may have posted about using a CASTLE DCDC that can be programmed for output voltage. But I took the tinkerbrd out of the custom enclosure I built that is housing that PSU. I'll get back to it some time but I'm waiting for my $ #MMTLP #finrafraud ( <<< twitter) problem to resolve. You may find my current project interesting https://github.com/berin-aquaquad/orange-pi-5 .