Librecomputer Renegade RK3328

Igor

On 12/11/2020 at 6:16 AM, JMCC said:

You can try to flash legacy directly to emmc. This method should work:

1. Boot your board from a SD card with current.
  2. Login as root, typing `sudo -i`
  3. Flash legacy on emmc with this one-liner:

wget https://redirect.armbian.com/renegade/Buster_legacy -O - | xzcat | dd of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=1M
  4. You should be able to boot now from legacy on emmc. If you want to install desktop, you can do this:

sudo apt update && sudo apt install armbian-buster-desktop media-buster-legacy-rk3328 --install-recommends

------------------------

Now, I'm going to ask a favor from you. Please describe the exact problem you were having when trying to boot legacy from SD card. I was also unable to do it, but I thought it was a failure on my board. Your testing can help us to fix a potential problem. Thanks.

OK finally got everything running right. So I've noticed using wifi dongle, speed was slower than I'd expect and would slow down and finally be disabled, both on USB2 and the USB3. Replugging would work but results in the same experience. Same dongle works fine on other computers. Also youtube through chromium was dropping 75% of frames. I'd like to get these problems solved. By the way thank you for your help. I'm glad I was able to get the emmc reflashed to legacy and I owe it to Armbian and your help.

On 1/2/2021 at 5:35 AM, cibolajerry said:

Also youtube through chromium was dropping 75% of frames.

I need to check the legacy kernel and see if it has the DRAM issues mainline had, that might account for all of these issues.

[edit]

I've verified the DRAM timings on legacy do not mach those I pulled from the vendor kernel and applied to mainline.  I'll take a look.

I'm trying to get Armbian running on a Libre Renegade board, which is listed as CSC on the website.  I've successfully booted the following on the board:

Ubuntu 18.04 from http://share.loverpi.com/board/libre-computer-project/libre-computer-board-roc-rk3328-cc/image/ubuntu/

Armbian_5.98_Renegade_Debian_buster_default_4.4.192_minimal

I've tried booting the following, which all do nothing at all (blank screen):

Armbian_20.11.6_Renegade_focal_current_5.9.14

Armbian_19.11.7_Renegade_buster_current_5.4.8

Armbian_20.05.4_Renegade_focal_current_5.4.46

Armbian_20.11_Renegade_buster_legacy_4.4.213

Armbian_20.11.9_Renegade_bionic_legacy_4.4.213

Anyone have any suggestions?  It would be nice to get a 5.x kernel running on this board.

8 hours ago, phollenback said:

which is listed as CSC

This basically means you are on your own if things fail. We don't have resources in term of hardware, there are no maintainers or we simply lack of time to spent on problems you have. Via official "board doesn't start way" It's close to impossible to check why this board doesn't boot.

8 hours ago, phollenback said:

It would be nice to get a 5.x kernel running on this board.

Like project gets help https://forum.armbian.com/forum/54-help-wanted/ or better?

Merging with the topic in "board bring up section"

So interestingly once I tried using the lower USB 2 port, my USB speeds began to work at appropriate speeds, both on USB 2 and 3. The wifi (dongle that works fine on other linux computers and raspberry pis) still slows down and quits. If I use the ethernet to my travel router to access my hot spot, network seems to work fine. My new question is this: How do you use the Analog Digital Converter?

By the way, thanks for the help with my renegade. I wish these libre computers had a little better and longer term support.

22 minutes ago, MCredbear said:

hi, I'm MCredbear who asked you on github.I tried this,gl4es,gst and mpv work fine,but when I switch to kodi session,it Call trace and I can't switch any tty.

Okay, you need to provide more information. Output of 

sudo armbianmonitor -u

And also kodi logs, and the failing system logs.

2 hours ago, MCredbear said:

OK, I upload the photo

That error was present only in older kernels, it is solved already. I looked at your logs, and for some reason you are using a very old kernel (4.4.194). Try this image instead: https://redirect.armbian.com/region/EU/rock64/Buster_legacy_desktop

Notice that Rock64 is not offcially supported by Armbian anymore, due to issues with hardware quality and lack of compatibility between different HW revisions. So I cannot guarantee the image will work for you.

28 minutes ago, JMCC said:

That error was present only in older kernels, it is solved already. I looked at your logs, and for some reason you are using a very old kernel (4.4.194). Try this image instead: https://redirect.armbian.com/region/EU/rock64/Buster_legacy_desktop

Notice that Rock64 is not offcially supported by Armbian anymore, due to issues with hardware quality and lack of compatibility between different HW revisions. So I cannot guarantee the image will work for you.

ummm, in fact,my board isn't rock64,it's firefly's roc-rk3328-cc,which even doesn't have an armbian image,I just find a rootfs which MIGHT BE suitable to my board. 

If it is convenient for you,could you tell me which version of kernel is suitable?I will try to build it.

14 часов назад, MCredbear сказал:

Wait a minute,this board is 100% as the same as mine???even the firefly log on it???

I don't have this hardware, so I won't claim that it's the same thing, but from the descriptions and source code for them, I can see that these models are very close.

20 hours ago, JMCC said:

As @balbes150 pointed out, your model is the Renegade, that is the commercial nickname. You should download a Renegade buster legacy desktop image.

I tried that,but the image with 4.x kernel and desktop have something wrong with its boot script(a wrongly filesystem fix),which destroy its filesystem everytime when it's booting and I don't know how to edit it.And the other one with 5.x kernel but no desktop,after I installed xserver-xorg-core or xserver-xorg-core-rockchip and rebooted,it stoped display through HDMI (keyboard seemed work because it reacted after I pressed NumLock)(I had installed xfce4 before I install those packages),but when I checked /var/log/message, I found no error.I also tried to copy /boot from the image with 5.x kernel to the other one, still didn't work.

5 hours ago, balbes150 said:

I don't have this hardware, so I won't claim that it's the same thing, but from the descriptions and source code for them, I can see that these models are very close.

I had a research,actually,they are the same one.This board is producted by libre and firefly together,but I bought it from firefly's official website,there is nothing about libre or renegade on the website(also this board is called roc-rk3328-cc on this website).And this board's image is only listed in libre's download page,so......

10 минут назад, MCredbear сказал:

I had a research,actually,they are the same one.This board is producted by libre and firefly together,but I bought it from firefly's official website,there is nothing about libre or renegade on the website(also this board is called roc-rk3328-cc on this website).And this board's image is only listed in libre's download page,so....

Try images for Station M1 (Armbian\ArmbianTV) with Legacy and Current core. Also try using different dtbs from the image.

http://bbs.t-firefly.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=2803&extra=page%3D1

1 hour ago, MCredbear said:

I had a research,actually,they are the same one

Yes, as I told you a few posts above, Renegade is the commercial name that Libre Computer uses for roc-rk3328-cc

I also have the board, and I was very active developing for it in the past when bringing it up as CSC. The problem you mention, about filesystem getting corrupted, also happens in my board. But, since nobody else complained about it, I assumed it was just my defective unit and forgot about it. But now, you mention the same problem, and some other user also recently reported it.

So, my first question: ¿Do you have emmc, or only SD card? The quickest workaround is to use a "Current" (5.10.y) image to flash "Legacy" (4.4.y) to the emmc, as described in this post.

Also, since you seem to be using a old Rock64 image without problems, please try the new Rock64 image I linked above, and post here the results. If that one does not work, please try the images for Station M1, as @balbes150 adviced above.

We will appreciate if you perform these tests and post here the results. It can be helpful not only for you, but also for other users.

[EDIT]: And please, post the output of "sudo armbianmonitor -u" for the tests, so we can figure out what is failing.

Hardware: Rock64

Image: Buster desktop stable4.4.y (Armbian_21.02.1_Rock64_buster_legacy_4.4.213_desktop.img)

I was running mainline and wanted to try this, so I could get acceleration, However, I couldn't get it to boot properly. I see it scanning the installation partition at boot. I get the "welcome to Armbian" boot message and after a few more messages, it goes into kernel panic.

I tried with different SD cards, including the one that was working with mainline.

13 hours ago, JMCC said:

Also, since you seem to be using a old Rock64 image without problems, please try the new Rock64 image I linked above, and post here the results.

Actually,I did that with the productor's partition format still on the SDcard.I used kpartx to mount the image and only flash it to root partition,and then boot with the kernel from boot partition.I'm confused about how armbian's image for this board boot with only one partition,is it because the 16MB free space before the partition?Theoretically,will it boot successfully by replacing /boot?

3 hours ago, MCredbear said:

Yes,I do have emmc.So it won't destroy its filesystem when booting from emmc?I will have the try.

Great,it works!Though kernel is still 4.x (but from armbian),everything works well.Now should we just fix the boot script for SDcard and try to make 5.x kernel usable?

2 hours ago, MCredbear said:

Now should we just fix the boot script for SDcard

That is what we want to do. And that is the reason why I asked you to do the tests above. So if you can please make these tests and post here the results, we can move on to debugging and fixing the problem. If you want to help, please perform the tests indicated in this post: 

6 часов назад, MCredbear сказал:

Actually,I did that with the productor's partition format still on the SDcard.I used kpartx to mount the image and only flash it to root partition,and then boot with the kernel from boot partition.I'm confused about how armbian's image for this board boot with only one partition,is it because the 16MB free space before the partition?Theoretically,will it boot successfully by replacing /boot?

use only the full image recording on the SD card. Only then will you get all the components of the startup process working correctly. Now you have broken the correct sequence of the startup system, which was designed to fully write the image to the SD card (without using intermediate "pads" that have unknown behavior).

1 hour ago, JMCC said:

That is what we want to do. And that is the reason why I asked you to do the tests above. So if you can please make these tests and post here the results, we can move on to debugging and fixing the problem. If you want to help, please perform the tests indicated in this post: 

ummm,though I can't understand why rock64's and station M1's images still need be tested while renegade's image is already works(?),I will do these test later.Also,I tried install 5.x kernel on the image with 4.x kernel,still couldn't display.But,I run it through chroot and updated system diagnosis (http://ix.io/2PWu),hope that would help.