Orange Pi One is not booting from SD Card....

simrim1

Hi,

I am trying to boot up my OP1 with debian jessie and ubuntu images but both of them are not booting.

If I attach a USB drive and it has the same image written on it as on SD Card then it boots from USB drive. Am I missing something? Plz Help. I got JPEGs of the screen when it tries to boot but fails with error but I cannot manage to upload them.

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for your response. Yes I did. The results are same on a generic class 10 HC 8gb MicroSD  card and Samsung Evo+ 16gb UHS-I class 10 MicroSD card. On both cards it cannot load u-boot script. Please have a look at the screenshots if it can help you understand the real issue.

Thanks

Image1 (1).jpg

Iamge2.jpg

Image3 (1).jpg

Which image do you use? So if you have the same image on your USB stick and the SD-Card than it boots? This sounds like your SD-Card is corrupted. Did you check your card with h2testw or F3? How is your board powered (PSU& cable)? Whats connected to your OPI?

At the moment I am trying to use Armbian_5.25_Orangepione_Ubuntu_xenial_default_3.4.113.  I have also tried other latest images (Ubuntu & Debian) but same results.

That's correct when I attach USB Drive with same image copied to it as on uSD Card then system starts booting from USB Drive after initial boot process from uSD Card.

I got 2 Samsumg Evo+ 16gb crads. They are brand new. I also got generic class 10 8gb uSD card. It is not possible that all cards are corrupted.

I checked all cards with H2testw and it is reporting that all cards are 100% corrupted. I simply can't believe it.

I am using genuine power supply which comes with Samsung Galaxy 10 Tab. It is 5v 2A. and the cable USB to DC 4mm cable.

I have attached a 3 port USB2.0 hub. If I attach keyboard to onboard USB the result is still same.

SDCard.jpg

43 minutes ago, simrim1 said:

I got 2 Samsumg Evo+ 16gb crads. They are brand new. I also got generic class 10 8gb uSD card. It is not possible that all cards are corrupted.

I checked all cards with H2testw and it is reporting that all cards are 100% corrupted. I simply can't believe it.

Maybe you have a card reader issue?

Did you write the image with Etcher? Unless Etcher writes the image without reporting any issues I'm not sure anyone will be able to help you further - you should try a different card reader and different SD cards first and write images only with Etcher.

13 hours ago, simrim1 said:

I have attached a 3 port USB2.0 hub. If I attach keyboard to onboard USB the result is still same.

I didnt know that the Orange Pi One can boot from USB :)
But at the Boot-log I did read "scanning bus 0 for devices - 4 USB device(s) found

Could you try to boot from MicroSD-Card when only connect a Keyboard/Mouse (NOT a USB-Hub or any other storage device)?

(Did you "eject" the MicroSD-Cards via File-Explorer or did you only disconnect the card?)

If you are using Windows you could try to write the image with USB-IT (does work fine for me - like etcher 1.2.1):

http://www.alexpage.de/usb-image-tool/download/

Did you format your MicroSD-Card using SD-Formater v5  (page url says v4 but its V5) before writing the image?:

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/eula_windows/index.html
Click accept at the bottom of the page for downloadinf the v5

2 hours ago, guidol said:

I didnt know that the Orange Pi One can boot from USB :)

It does not boot from USB... I think it boots from SD-Card (uboot) failed to start up the kernel from the SD-Card and therefore looks for other possibilities (e.g. USB, ETH) to start a kernel. Cause he has a working kernel on the USB stick, this works without issues.

On 9.12.2017 at 1:46 AM, chwe said:

On 9.12.2017 at 3:52 AM, simrim1 said:

Yes I did.

In fact, you didn't cause:

Armbian can simply not run on unreliable hardware so checking your SD card with either F3 or H2testw is mandatory if you run in problems. Since counterfeit SD cards are still an issue checking with F3/H2testw directly after purchase is highly recommended.

7z and zip archives can be uncompressed with 7-Zip on Windows, Keka on OS X and 7z on Linux. Images shall only be written with Etcher on all platforms since unlike other tools Etcher validates burning results saving you from corrupted SD card contents.

Otherwise, this statement would come earlier:

15 hours ago, simrim1 said:

So, something goes wrong when you write to SD-Cards. There are IMO two opportunities:

1. All your SD-Cards are counterfeit
  2. Your card reader/writer is counterfeit (as @zador.blood.stained suggested). 
I suggest solving this issue step by step, with burning an image as an end goal. 
  1. Replace your SD-Card reader, format all your SD-Cards and test them again with F3 or h2testw
  2. In case you don't get any errors with h2testw/F3 you can burn armbian with Etcher and enjoy armbian. :) 
  3. In case you still have the same issues there are two possibilities: You're the the unlucky guy having two bad SD-Card readers or three counterfeit SD-Cards (or maybe a host computer which fails when it writes stuff on flash media :P)
16 hours ago, simrim1 said:

I am using genuine power supply which comes with Samsung Galaxy 10 Tab. It is 5v 2A. and the cable USB to DC 4mm cable.

I'm (and a lot of others too) aren't fans of using chargers as PSU.  It works (mostly/often) but it can end in 'unexpected behavior' which end's in questions like --> why does armbian not work reliably.

I'm not a fan of hubs. Only when they are active (self-powered, not through the SBCs USB). In your case: you have an SBC with a nice barrel plug connector. :) So, why not buying a barrel plug PSU. I bought my OPi PC+ with xunlongs barrel plug PSU and it works without issues.  

Hi Guys,

First of all I am very grateful to you all for helping me resolving the issue.

After a number hit & trial attempts I have concluded (almost) that my SD cards were the culprit. They were fake. I am going to return them and have ordered new one. I will let you know how it goes when the new one is delivered.

Once again thanks a bunch to all of you.

Hi,

I am back again. The new cards from SanDisk work like a charm.  There were some hitches related to power supply but at the end my board booted up and I made initial configurations.

The reason for this drill is, I want to learn building linux from sources. I also want to learn how to build, organize and pack the linux in iso image so it can be installed on other devices.

I got a meegopad T02 stick with Intel Atom processor.  I want to build Armbian for T02 from sources. Obviously it will be a cross compile. Yes, I want to build it on my Orange Pi no matter how long it takes to build. I want to check this board's potential. I have a very basic knowledge of linux and the building process.  At the moment Ubuntu is installed on T02 and its size is almost 7gb. I want to use it as a headless server and I have found Armbian the best lightweight, small footprint OS with all the necessary tools and packages to work with.

What is the difficulty level of this job for a newbie to build an Armbian linux image from Armbian source for T02.

I will be very grateful if someone please advise me on this.

Thanks

14 minutes ago, simrim1 said:

I am back again. The new cards from SanDisk work like a charm.  There were some hitches related to power supply but at the end my board booted up and I made initial configurations.

:beer: now enjoy armbian on your pi one. :) 

15 minutes ago, simrim1 said:

I got a meegopad T02 stick with Intel Atom processor.  I want to build Armbian for T02 from sources.

Intel Atom is x86-64 armbian is only for arm based SoCs...  Why not going for ubuntu or derbian for x86? There's not much difference between armbian and debian on userspace (only 'behind the scenes' --> select 'good' kernels etc.)

19 minutes ago, simrim1 said:

Obviously it will be a cross compile. Yes, I want to build it on my Orange Pi no matter how long it takes

Armbian is cross-compiled on x86 machines to speed up the process and you wanna do it vice versa? :P

Hi chwe,

Thanks for a quick response. To be honest with you it was a sight of relief when it booted up. I got this board about 6 months before and couldn't get a chance to power ip up. So it was sitting on my table as it was delivered.

So when I got a chance after ordering SD Cards and the board didn't boot it was a disappointment.

And I am very happy now that it is running flying.

But Ubuntu (lubuntu) is taking up almost 8gb and Armbian is taking only 1gb and still full of packages and features which, I think, are required for a learning and building purposes.

Is it not possible to compile Armbian from sources for x86-64? Is it really very laborious task to build it for another platform?

It's somewhere in the region of 1.5G when installing (Ubuntu Server, that is). Haven't run the server install on PC for while, but I would have thought it would partition the device at the start, so it should just be a matter of USB booting an install image and installing the sucker. 

Why is Lubuntu taking up so much space now? It's only supposed to need 3Gb, with a recommended 6Gb for some free space? Are you using Lubuntu images from http://lubuntu.me/downloads/, so that you're only getting the required bits?