How does this work?

JSF

I am hoping that the community can enlighten me on how the Armbian development process works.

I just purchased a Rock 64 board to use for a NextCloud box at home. I am seeing that Armbian seems to be the "best" OS solution for this. I also see that the Armbian release for Rock64  is still in "testing" phase.  I would really prefer to run a "stable" release for this application.

So my question is how does Armbian for Rock64 move from testing to stable. What is the process, what still needs to be done?  I am not a developer or linux expert by any means. I am wondering how the process works so the I can see if I might be able to assist in any way.

Thanks!

This works on a voluntary basis, by and large.  The core team is extremely small, and so far the only board on the books with the RK3328 is the Rock64 (discussion should begin soon on Libre Computer's Renegade, but I don't know where that is), meaning it takes a lot of effort and is the only board to presently benefit from the attention.  If the dev's don't have the hardware, or the hardware broke or was changed since introduction, then things come to a halt.  Especially around a version bump where the currently supported boards need to take precedent.

The typical reply is donations and hardware, donations and hardware.  Also testing testing testing.  An image can not be thought of as "stable" until it's been tested by more than just the dev team.  Try the image and let us know what the results are, however I'd caution you that this board is very early in development in general, it won't be stable for some time.