disable UART0 on OPI-Zero

Hikmet TEKIN

Hi everybody,

I have orange pi zero h2+ 512mb ram and I need to use 3 uart to run my c code. 

I can use UART1 on pin 8-10 and UART2 on pin 11-13. I also want to use UART0 in my program but it is attached to console. 

How can I disable the UART0 console to use it as normal TTL serial?

Thanks

I tried to disable from boot/boot.cmd file in orange pi zero 

if test "${console}"= "serial" || test "${console}" ="both"; then setenv consoleargs "${consoleargs} console=ttyS0,115200"; fi

I changed this line to this;

if test "${console}"= "serial" || test "${console}" ="both"; then setenv consoleargs "${consoleargs} console=ttyS2"; fi

There is still get u-boot messages from serial port. I will need to use 3 UART for my application and there is only 2 I can use right now.

image.thumb.png.907c253b449d508a9f722c67b88d48c9.png

How can I disable this u-boot messages?

Thanks

I added some patch to file /build/patch/u-boot/u-boot-sunxi/mine.patch and compiled the debian jessie and load image to SD card. but it is not disable the u-boot messages on serial.

I added these to patch file

diff --git a/include/configs/sunxi-common.h b/include/configs/sunxi-common.h
--- a/include/configs/sunxi-common.h
+++ b/include/configs/sunxi-common.h
@@ -487,8 +487,8 @@ extern int soft_i2c_gpio_scl;

#ifdef CONFIG_VIDEO
 #define CONSOLE_STDOUT_SETTINGS \
-	"stdout=serial,vga\0" \
-	"stderr=serial,vga\0"
+	"stdout=\0" \
+	"stderr=\0"
 #else
 #define CONSOLE_STDOUT_SETTINGS \
 	"stdout=\0" \

#define CONFIG_SILENT_CONSOLE=y \

I also changed the /boot/boot.cmd from this

if test "${console}" = "display" || test "${console}" = "both"; then setenv consoleargs "console=tty1"; fi
if test "${console}" = "serial" || test "${console}" = "both"; then setenv consoleargs "${consoleargs} console=ttyS0, 115200"; fi

to this

if test "${console}" = "display" || test "${console}" = "both"; then setenv consoleargs "console=tty1"; fi
if test "${console}" = "serial" || test "${console}" = "both"; then setenv consoleargs "${consoleargs} console=tty1"; fi

But I am still getting u-boot messages on serial output.

What should I do?

Thanks

Am I gonna add it to this file 

build/config/kernel/linux-sun8i-dev.config

or 

build/config/kernel/linux-sun8i-default.config

Because these file header says "DO NOT EDIT ."

Could you please help me little bit more where should I enter it. I installed ubuntu 16.04 to my desktop and clone the armbian git repository. If you give me the folder direction I can just add it and re-compile it and than test it. 

Thanks

martinayotte,

I am not very familiar with linux enviroment. I always worked in C for embedded processors. but now I need to use orange pi zero and could you please help me to make patch to update file.  I will try to create a patch file and put it to patch directory. when I compile the armbian. Is it apply patches to it or not? 

Thanks

The patch should look like the following, although not tested :

--- a/configs/orangepi_zero_defconfig
+++ b/configs/orangepi_zero_defconfig
@@ -15,3 +15,4 @@ CONFIG_SPL_SPI_SUNXI=y
 CONFIG_SUN8I_EMAC=y
 CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD=y
 CONFIG_SYS_USB_EVENT_POLL_VIA_INT_QUEUE=y
+CONFIG_SILENT_CONSOLE=y

Your patch didn't applied because you deleted the context lines. Keep the all the lines here :

--- a/configs/orangepi_zero_defconfig
+++ b/configs/orangepi_zero_defconfig
@@ -15,3 +15,4 @@ CONFIG_SPL_SPI_SUNXI=y
 CONFIG_SUN8I_EMAC=y
 CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD=y
 CONFIG_SYS_USB_EVENT_POLL_VIA_INT_QUEUE=y
+CONFIG_SILENT_CONSOLE=y

8 hours ago, martinayotte said:

Did you looked at resulting build/cache/sources/u-boot/v2017.11/configs/orangepi_zero_defconfig ?

Yes, I checked the file, there is two file. One is ending with .config and other end with config.orig  I checked them one of them is original file and other is in use. Patch applied to it. I can see there is  CONFIG_SILENT_CONSOLE. It is at the end of file. 

If it is the second, then you don't get a full image.

To write the newly compiled u-boot, do the following where /dev/sd? is the unmounted existing sdcard :

dd if=build/cache/sources/u-boot/v2017.11/u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin of=/dev/sd? bs=1024 seek=8

3 hours ago, martinayotte said:

If it is the second, then you don't get a full image.

To write the newly compiled u-boot, do the following where /dev/sd? is the unmounted existing sdcard :

dd if=build/cache/sources/u-boot/v2017.11/u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin of=/dev/sd? bs=1024 seek=8

Am I going to do it on Ubuntu or Armbian? 

In fact it can be done from both places, except that on Armbian, you will need first to copy the file u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin on the board, and then use the 'dd' with different arguments :

dd if=u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=1024 seek=8

So, maybe it would be faster doing the previous from your cross-compile host ... :P

On 22.12.2017 at 1:58 AM, martinayotte said:

In fact it can be done from both places, except that on Armbian, you will need first to copy the file u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin on the board, and then use the 'dd' with different arguments :

dd if=u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=1024 seek=8

So, maybe it would be faster doing the previous from your cross-compile host ... :P

I made it and there is still u-boot messages on UART0 console. see the below picture. ( copy the file in ubuntu compile enviorement and on orangepi zero. 

image.png.36d113e64a108b4f06cbb0d90902742d.png

I also tested the these commands ; CONFIG_SILENT_CONSOLE_UPDATE_ON_SET=y  and CONFIG_SYS_DEVICE_NULL=y  (I found them on another forum about u-boot silent "Stackexchange") and I also test them. But there is still messages on UART Console. 

Thanks