NanoPI NEO2 tc traffic shaping

Joe

Hi all,

I'm currently running Armbian 5.36 Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS 4.11.1-sun50iw2. This was / is a local armbian build that I performed a few months ago to resolve an issue that I saw at that time in the network stack that prevented ipsec working correctly. I've performed apt update / apt upgrade since however cat /proc/version still reports the version as that which I manually built back in June.

Fast forward to today and I'd like to try out some traffic shaping tc rules but I'm running into some difficulty, which is making me doubt if my kernel has the support needed for iproute2.

The following works without any issue to list existing rules on eth0:

root@nanopineo2:~# tc -s qdisc ls dev eth0
qdisc pfifo_fast 0: root refcnt 2 bands 3 priomap  1 2 2 2 1 2 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
 Sent 1109245 bytes 4725 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 26) 
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 26

..where pfifo_fast is the default qdisc (queuing discipline) for eth0

If I attempt to remove this rule I see an RTNETLINK error:

root@nanopineo2:~# sudo tc qdisc del dev eth0 root
RTNETLINK answers: No such file or directory

If I attempt to add a new rule I see the same RTNETLINK error:

root@nanopineo2:~# tc qdisc add dev eth0 root tbf rate 1000kbit latency 50ms burst 5000
RTNETLINK answers: No such file or directory

iproute2 is installed:

root@nanopineo2:~# apt list --installed | grep iproute2

WARNING: apt does not have a stable CLI interface. Use with caution in scripts.

iproute2/xenial-updates,now 4.3.0-1ubuntu3.16.04.2 arm64 [installed]

..however I read here http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.iproute2.package.html that kernel netlink support is required for iproute2 to work properly and I'm not sure that I have it.

I'm almost sure that sch_netem should be present for it to work but this is not installed and as far as I can tell by looking at kernel source that I can find in github, this is not included as part of the sunxi kernel:

root@nanopineo2:~# modprobe sch_netem
modprobe: FATAL: Module sch_netem not found in directory /lib/modules/4.11.1-sun50iw2

Does anyone have any idea what I need to do to get this working?

Thanks for any help

Joe

I thought it would sensible to get things to a more standard position so I formatted an sd card and flashed the latest armbian ubuntu mainline as-is. I'm now running: Armbian 5.34.171121 nightly Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS 4.13.14-sunxi64 and most of the problems that I mentioned above have gone away. I apologize for wasting anyone's time, please ignore this.