Orange Pi Prime crashes when compiling

AtoxIO

My Orange Pi Prime freezes when compiling anything major (Ruby, CPython). It completely locks up halfway through. No error or kernel panic from serial either. HDMI output goes black.

I've tried: Better cooling, different brand SD cards (Sandisk Ultra, Samsung Evo from reputable suppliers), different power supplies, and even disabling swap.

Tried my Lab Bench Power Supply at 5.00, 5.10, 5.20 and 5.35 volt, volt drop is about 0.1 volt measured at the board, and power usage at 400-700mA depending on the load.

Tried `stress` in all sorts of configurations for times up to 1 hour, this does not crash the board. Iozone also does not crash the board.

Does anybody know about any reason why this might be happening or how to solve it?

It might be useful to provide:

• Information about Image you use
  • link from 'sudo armbianmonitor -u'
5 hours ago, AtoxIO said:

different brand SD cards (Sandisk Ultra, Samsung Evo from reputable suppliers)

doesn't mean anything... :P Reputation doesn't tell you if your card is healthy or not... Whereas tool like F3 or H2testw can do this...  :P 

15 hours ago, chwe said:

It might be useful to provide ... Information about Image you use

Especially if the image is somewhat older since with this commit few weeks ago we lowered DRAM clockspeed from 648 MHz to 624 MHz. If it's about nailing the problem down I would look at memtester and https://github.com/ehoutsma/StabilityTester too. BTW: memtester only requires an 'apt install memtester'.

On 23. 12. 2017 at 4:02 PM, AtoxIO said:

how to solve it?

Install this bootloader.  The same quick crashing happened on Orange Pi PC2 which is a similar board. After installing older u-boot ... compiling a kernel for 20 minutes didn't provoke a crash.

On 12/23/2017 at 9:49 PM, chwe said:
  • link from 'sudo armbianmonitor -u'

armbianmonitor -u does not want to work currently (500 error). Here is armbianmonitor -U instead: https://paste.ubuntu.com/26260569/

On 12/24/2017 at 8:00 PM, Igor said:

Install this bootloader.  The same quick crashing happened on Orange Pi PC2 which is a similar board. After installing older u-boot ... compiling a kernel for 20 minutes didn't provoke a crash.

I've tried the 5.35 u-boot, and 5.37.171221, but they still crash.

On 12/24/2017 at 1:27 PM, tkaiser said:

Especially if the image is somewhat older since with this commit few weeks ago we lowered DRAM clockspeed from 648 MHz to 624 MHz. If it's about nailing the problem down I would look at memtester and https://github.com/ehoutsma/StabilityTester too. BTW: memtester only requires an 'apt install memtester'.

Memtester finished a full loop without issue, though I can run it for longer if you need me to.

StabilityTester finished all frequencies with success.

Besides all that I tried another MicroSD and also installed Armbian to a Sandisk Extreme USB flash drive. They both have the same issue as before.

6 hours ago, AtoxIO said:

Memtester finished a full loop without issue, though I can run it for longer if you need me to.

StabilityTester finished all frequencies with success.

Besides all that I tried another MicroSD and also installed Armbian to a Sandisk Extreme USB flash drive. They both have the same issue as before.

It is still an early hour for me ... so I don't get this. Lowering DRAM didn't help?

13 hours ago, Igor said:

It is still an early hour for me ... so I don't get this. Lowering DRAM didn't help?

You mean changing u-boot? That didn't. Though with u-boot 5.37 it took around 4 times longer to crash.

How do I lower DRAM clock further? Do I need to compile my own u-boot?

On 12/23/2017 at 4:02 PM, AtoxIO said:

My Orange Pi Prime freezes when compiling anything major (Ruby, CPython). It completely locks up halfway through. No error or kernel panic from serial either.

I have the same on my NanoPi NEO2: lockup with "make -j4". No problems with "make -j1" (=only use one core).  Can you try if that is the same on your system?