Armbian 5.35 Odroid c2 Debian jessie 3.14.79 corrupted files on SD after first reboot.

B1r0

Hello gents.

I cannot seem to be able to find the reason why the image I copy the SD gets some files gets corrupted after the first boot.

I tried to force not to resize the rootfs too with no luck.

I find out that the /etc/network/interfaces is different from what I edited.

On a linux machine I used Etcher to flash the image Armbian_5.35_Odroidc2_Debian_jessie_default_3.14.79.img.

Then edit the file /etc/network/interfaces on the SD (an 16GB Samsung EVO) to add the line "auto eth0" which is missing(!), unmount the SD, move it to the Odroid C2 and boot it.

the result after the first boot is (at minicom console):

root@odroidc2:~# cat /etc/network/interfaces
source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

# Wired adapter #1
auto eth0
allow-hotplug eth0
#no-auto-down eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
#address 192.168.0.100
#netmask 255.255.255.0
#gateway 192.168.0.1
#dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4
        hwaddress ether da:42:ea:E4:E3:BC # if you want to set MAC manually
#       pre-up /sbin/ifconfig eth0 mtu 3838 # setting MTU for DHCP, static just: mtu 3838

as you can see the line where is "hwaddress" has the # removed and added the MAC "da:42:ea:E4:E3:BC" !

I don't know where that is coming from.

Even if I ignore that the other issue is that the apt update fails giving all sort of errors complaining of missing repositories and wrong keys.

Could it be the IMG file is somehow broken?

md5sum of the file matches.

Thanks for amy help!

31 minutes ago, B1r0 said:

#dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4

First, un-comment this. It looks like Jessie has some troubles with DNS.

as you can see the line where is "hwaddress" has the # removed and added the MAC "da:42:ea:E4:E3:BC" !

This is a workaround to set fixed (random) MAC on some boards where this is not (hasn't been) done properly.

SD gets some files gets corrupted after the first boot

Fake/failed SD card?

On a linux machine I used Etcher

AFAIK Etcher is not using checking on Linux ... at least this used to be the case. In this case, it doesn't know if writing failed.

"auto eth0" which is missing(!)

We use network-manager and ifupdown. Empty interfaces file is fine.

hi all, 

i have the same problem. After 1st reboot Odroid-c2 does not show up on a network. Just tried 2 different builds (one recreated from scratcth armbian environment) ... tried 2 different SD-cards too ... all good on 1st/initial powerup - ssh works, 1234 as a password, generate admin ID and PWD ... wait over a minute (just in case) ... sync; reboot

Did not try update/upgrade before 1st reboot .... 

something is definitely broken (December 25th).

37 minutes ago, tkaiser said:

https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/8b4d703f415de214e2de7af467a448ead7a93a18/packages/bsp/common/etc/init.d/firstrun#L126-L130

Ugly hack, not even needed with legacy kernel and breaking network on 2nd boot.

hi @tkaiser - it worked well when i edited /etc/network/interfaces on the card and commented that line. i tried changing it to 'MAC' address (my odroid-c2 seems to have one) ... but either way - ANY 'hwaddress aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff value seems to stop it from reaching network upon boot.

Could it be that something else changed and assigning MAC address on Odroid-C2 simply does not work any more ?

it's been fixed yesterday :) Odroid-c2 will no longer have locally administered MAC address... not sure if that will cause problems for -next and -dev builds but at least -default one is now rebooting correctly and all seems to be fine :)

tx @IgorP !

This didnt work for me,

Installed fresh copy of Armbian 5.35 Odroid c2 Debian jessie 3.14.79 to known good SD card

Booted ok with network.

apt update && apt upgrade all worked

apt update again just to to check, all up to date

reboot and no network.

This thread starts by talking about file corruption but is actually about network. This seems identical to the thread titled No IP-assignment with C2 and 3.14.79-odroidc2 as both have now proposed the solution of commenting out the MAC address entry in interfaces

I will have a look at that and see if it fixes it / will let me apply the change after first boot but before reboot and be retained.

The fix mentioned above of update / upgrade was supposed to 'fix' the mac address issue, did I miss a step ?

37 minutes ago, dispo said:

The fix mentioned above of update / upgrade was supposed to 'fix' the mac address issue, did I miss a step ?

No, fix hasn't reached stable repository yet. It only affects self-build images.