28 28
gprovost

Helios4 Support

1 hour ago, jimbolaya said:

I just received and set up my Helios4. I set it up with Buster and it seems to be working OK.

One thing that seems to be missing is the ch341 usb serial driver. I have this attached to an old APC UPS that has a serial port and a USB serial cable that uses the HL-340 serial chip.

I was unable to find the driver in /lib/modules. Will I need to compile the driver myself or am I missing a package?

If it wasn't included intentionally, is there a technical reason not to include the driver for this kernel?

Hi,
you're right, the driver is not included, you'd need to compile the driver by yourself if you need ASAP.

I don't see any technical reason not to include the driver. After i test, I will enable it on Armbian kernel

@tekrantz @epleminator

If you can we will need you to measure following 2 points on the board while the board is powered-up.

This will help us to determine if it's just a faulty PSU or if it's an issue on the board.

This way we know if we just need to send you a new PSU or if we need to request you to send us back the board in order to repair or replace.

You need to be careful while doing such measure to respect the polarity as shown in the picture.

If you don't feel comfortable to do such measure then you can just Direct Message me and will arrange something else.

Measure 1 :

Measuring at capacitor C18. You should read 12V

c18_probe.jpg.b16a74d3c73de4e7a3a3c7fec3714779.jpg

Measure 2 :

Measuring at inductor L1 and capacitor C34. You should read 3.3V

l1_probe.thumb.jpg.19c36401bb83701c249fea28abf5bea7.jpg

8 hours ago, aprayoga said:

Hi,
you're right, the driver is not included, you'd need to compile the driver by yourself if you need ASAP.

I don't see any technical reason not to include the driver. After i test, I will enable it on Armbian kernel

Thank you for the info. I'll figure out how to compile it myself for now. I look forward to future updates including it.

I had a meter.  I have not seen it lately.  If I can't find it I will go get one.  Thanks for the reply.  I apologize for my petulant tone.  There was NO need for that.

I measured at t points referenced above.  I got 12.69 at C18.  At C34 I got 0.0.  Now I am going to admit I am not that good with that particular kind of stuff.  I could have been doing something improperly.  If there is something else I can test for you I am glad to try it.  I will also admit that I tried to get a reading from the pins inside the plug as well but my hands are just not steady enough and I could never get a reading.

@tekrantz @epleminator Thanks both for the measurement (epleminator measured the same values than tekrantz - sent by DM). I will follow up with each of you by Direct Message to arrange product replacement and by safety we will replace also the PSU because we are still not sure what happened, could be just a electronic discharge or something wrong with the PSU.

Our apologies for the inconvenience.

Hi,

I am trying to compile and run U-BOOT on SATA1 but I don't succeed. What I can do is boot from flash memory using the armbian binary provided on the armbian sd card.

And I cannot find the SATA installation documentation on the wiki, except the picture with the DIP switches (I used this from Solidrun, : dd if=u-boot-spl-sata.kwb of=/dev/sdX bs=512 seek=1 conv=sync, not working).

And I cannot get a self-compiled working U-BOOT binary with helios4_defconfig

So my questions is what options do I need to activate to have a self-compiled U-BOOT binary that can boot on SATA ? Is the dd command from Solidrun OK for the sata option ?

(For now, I will boot from flash memory, running Gentoo Linux and concentrate later on U-Boot... I want to understand and master that part too)

Kind regards,

Xavier Miller

Edited by alchemist

18 hours ago, alchemist said:

Hi,

I am trying to compile and run U-BOOT on SATA1 but I don't succeed. What I can do is boot from flash memory using the armbian binary provided on the armbian sd card.

And I cannot find the SATA installation documentation on the wiki, except the picture with the DIP switches (I used this from Solidrun, : dd if=u-boot-spl-sata.kwb of=/dev/sdX bs=512 seek=1 conv=sync, not working).

And I cannot get a self-compiled working U-BOOT binary with helios4_defconfig

So my questions is what options do I need to activate to have a self-compiled U-BOOT binary that can boot on SATA ? Is the dd command from Solidrun OK for the sata option ?

(For now, I will boot from flash memory, running Gentoo Linux and concentrate later on U-Boot... I want to understand and master that part too)

Kind regards,

Xavier Miller

Hi,

currently booting directly to SATA1 is not supported. It was supported using Marvell U-boot 2013.01.

If your intention is to boot without SD Card, you can boot from SPI NOR flash. The U-Boot on SPI NOR flash then would search boot.scr on following order

1. USB
  2. SATA1
  3. SD Card

On 8/17/2019 at 4:22 AM, aprayoga said:

Hi,

currently booting directly to SATA1 is not supported. It was supported using Marvell U-boot 2013.01.

If your intention is to boot without SD Card, you can boot from SPI NOR flash. The U-Boot on SPI NOR flash then would search boot.scr on following order

1. USB
  2. SATA1
  3. SD Card

Hi!

I will then boot from SPI NOR flash. The boot order is OK, I can then boot a "system rescue" from USB, or run armbian on sd as fall-back.

I can run Gentoo with one binary linked on the wiki page you pointed out, empty environment, and a minimal boot.scr on SATA

Hi,

An other question : I would like to run the latest vanilla kernel (5.2.*). Is there a patch for the dual fan ? The patch provided in the pwm section seems for kernel 4.x and is is rejected.

Thanks!

Kind regards,

Xavier Miller.

5 hours ago, alchemist said:

Hi,

An other question : I would like to run the latest vanilla kernel (5.2.*). Is there a patch for the dual fan ? The patch provided in the pwm section seems for kernel 4.x and is is rejected.

Thanks!

Kind regards,

Xavier Miller.

Hi,

We haven't started to work on 5.2 but maybe you can try the patch by Gontran Baerts for ArchLinux

https://github.com/gbcreation/linux-helios4/blob/master/92-mvebu-gpio-remove-hardcoded-timer-assignment.patch