Unstable wifi hotspot

patrick-81

I still have a problem configuring the wifi hotspot on the armbian distribution for tinkerboard. The hotspot is clearly unstable. So none of my computers can't connect to it and my phones and tablets have a unstable connection. I thought having found a turnover using a call to iw with a frequency of 1s. This was reactivating the wifi for some times (that should simulate a continuous connection) but it looks that it doesn't work anymore.

So I am stuck with that, I am unable to configure a stable hotspot. Is there something to do with the rtl8723 driver, or have I no hope to make it works ?

Probably the driver is not the best ... you can try to build some alternative driver: https://github.com/search?q=8723 Remember to blacklist existing driver and download headers - which you need for driver compilation - from armbian-config. Example.

BTW. When asking for tips or seeking help, you have to tell us more than a vague description. We need to know everything, at least what is possible to collect automatically:

armbianmonitor -u

This is a lot better.

Tinkerboard is not able to function properly without attaching anything to its USB port (is unstable by default due to the insufficient powering method), while here I see another wifi adaptors, which BTW can work stable (Atheros AR9271) if properly powered. I can't tell for sure for the one on the board - I haven't test it very well under modern kernel. Try without anything attached to the board and try not to push CPU when trying this and try alternative drivers as already exposed.

ii  linux-headers-4.4.0-104              4.4.0-104.127                              all          Header files related to Linux kernel version 4.4.0
ii  linux-headers-4.4.0-104-generic      4.4.0-104.127                              armhf        Linux kernel headers for version 4.4.0 on ARM (hard float) SMP
ii  linux-headers-generic                XXX.XXX.0.104.109                              armhf        Generic Linux kernel headers

Wrong. Remove those and install those from our kernel. Run armbian-config -> software -> install headers.