Orange Pi Win get stuck at Enter new UNIX password when ssh first boot

K1ngH0st

Well, the title is self explanatory. I am trying the new stable release for the Orange PI win from armbian (thank you guys!) but when booting for the first time in headless mode via SSH through Ethernet cable it gets stuck at "Enter new UNIX password". I put the new password and nothing happens. If I unplug the cable to force the SSH server to close the connection and then I plug it back again, the password is kept the old one (default 1234) and the problem repeats.

After some tests I finally got to change the password, but it gets stuck after, or even before sometimes if I reboot. It seems that the SSH tunnel is simply not stable. I should mention that the configuration of OS and dhcp server I use to work in headless mode is exactly the same I have used with old (unstable) releases, and as for the SSH connection it worked perfectly.
Is there someone with the same issue?

Thanks in advance!

Edit:  After waiting long enough without restarting I get:

packet_write_wait: Connection to 192.168.2.32 port 22: Broken pipe

I can't give any board specific advice, as I don't have an Orange Pi Win, so I can't help much sorry.

Can I just confirm this was with the " Ubuntu server – legacy kernel" from the downloads page? And that ubuntu server was one of the previous ones you'd used, not the debian stretch nightly? And *exactly* what is the behaviour? Type in '1234', press enter, and it freezes? Type in '1234', press enter, type in new password first time, press enter, type in the new password the second time, press enter, and it freezes... some variation of that? I remember that happening something similar happening to me before, but it was because entering the new password wrong (or was it the old one wrong) didn't give an error and just kicked the ssh session. 

9 hours ago, K1ngH0st said:

it gets stuck at "Enter new UNIX password". I put the new password and nothing happens.

This looks like bad SD card to me. Can you try with some other (brand)?

4 minutes ago, t-bob said:

Can you tell me how you go with network speeds. I tried it yesterday and ethernet/wifi worked but was really, really slow. Just not sure if it was me or the O/S ....

Ethernet speed was tested and it seems normal, while I forgot to test wifi for speed.

On 1/12/2018 at 4:44 AM, pfeerick said:

I can't give any board specific advice, as I don't have an Orange Pi Win, so I can't help much sorry.

Can I just confirm this was with the " Ubuntu server – legacy kernel" from the downloads page? And that ubuntu server was one of the previous ones you'd used, not the debian stretch nightly? And *exactly* what is the behaviour? Type in '1234', press enter, and it freezes? Type in '1234', press enter, type in new password first time, press enter, type in the new password the second time, press enter, and it freezes... some variation of that? I remember that happening something similar happening to me before, but it was because entering the new password wrong (or was it the old one wrong) didn't give an error and just kicked the ssh session. 

Yes, the image comes from the official page, but I downloaded the desktop one, not server. The old ones I successfully tried before came from that page too. The pipe breaks at different moments each time I try. It may break when typing "1234", when introducing the new password, when confirming the new password or even later. It doesn't kick the SSH session, the SSH tunnel just collapse and the computer throws back the Broken Pipe Error when after some time it doesn't detect any activity.

On 1/12/2018 at 8:17 AM, Igor said:

This looks like bad SD card to me. Can you try with some other (brand)?

I bought for this board the recommended SD card from the Armbian site (https://docs.armbian.com/User-Guide_Getting-Started/), the Samsung EVO Plus 32Gb (note that nowdays it is the minimum size you can find on Amazon), so I don't think it is a hardware issue. I would try with other brand anyway.

42 minutes ago, K1ngH0st said:

I bought for this board the recommended SD card from the Armbian site

That is a good first step, but it does not relieve you from all problems. Read the whole text about SD cards again. Hint: fake card can be bought also on Amazon.

14 minutes ago, Igor said:

That is a good first step, but it does not relieve you from all problems. Read the whole text about SD cards again. Hint: fake card can be bought also on Amazon.

Yes I read it thoroughly, I made the speed test with F3 and it seems a legitimate Samsung SD card. And it worked properly with the old unstable armbian build, so I am convinced the SD card is not the problem. Maybe the Ethernet cable got damaged in the meantime, but ping tests doesn't throw any error, so I really think there is some issues with the build.

6 minutes ago, K1ngH0st said:

Maybe the Ethernet cable got damaged in the meantime, but ping tests doesn't throw any error, so I really think there is some issues with the build.

OK. I'll check the build once again on my board ASAP. Serial console log - if possible - would help.

3 minutes ago, Igor said:

OK. I'll check the build once again on my board ASAP. Serial console log - if possible - would help.

Thank you for your fast answer!! Yes, I would be glad to collaborate with this amazing project, but I fear I don't know how to get those logs :(. Can I have them from the SSH client? as the pipe breaks I can't communicate with the board so don't think I can have any output from it!

Ok I have new info about the case. This problem only comes when SSH requests come through Ethernet. I acquired an USB keyboard and a screen and configured the Orange PI normally (no headless mode) and connected to a wifi spot. Through this wifi connection I could successfully SSH into the OPi without trouble. That makes me believe that the problem comes from the configuration I used to use. Maybe there was some interference between the DHCP server I used to give an IP address through the Ethernet port and the SSH server of the OPi. Is the SSH configured to not listen to the Ethernet port or not accept requests from there?