C2 64GB eMMC no login

mboehmer

Hi,

I just changed from my 16GB eMMC to a 64GB eMMC (black type, ordered by Pollin, with Android initially on it). I use Etcher on Windows 7, as before, no problems occured so far.

If I use the same image (Armbian_5.37_Odroidc2_Debian_stretch_next_4.14.13) as I do on my 16GB eMMC, the C2 boots up normally. I can login in as root, and get prompted for a new password.

This image includes Uboot changes for setting serial port baudrate, no other changes to kernel.

An here the trouble starts: no matter what password I want to use as new one, I fail. If I use a "too easy one" I get denied (as it should be).

If I use a complicated one, I get

Debian GNU/Linux 9 odroidc2 ttyAML0

odroidc2 login: root
Password:
You are required to change your password immediately (root enforced)
Changing password for root.
(current) UNIX password:
Enter new UNIX password:
Retype new UNIX password:

Authentication token manipulation error

Debian GNU/Linux 9 odroidc2 ttyAML0

odroidc2 login:

Passwords do match. I tried by serial console, I tried by network, no matter what I do - I get this authentication token manipulation error.

I tried the second 64GB eMMC, too, same problem. I also tried to use a pre-built system (Armbian_5.37.171231_Odroidc2_Debian_stretch_next_4.14.10) from download area with exactly same result.

Same image works like a charm on a 16GB uSD (Samsung brand), works also well on 16GB eMMC (red PCB).

Using a 32GB uSD (Samsung brand), boot process stalls at

[  OK  ] Started LSB: Armbian gathering hardware information.

with heavily blinking blue LED. After a power cycle, I can login normally as root and set a new password.

Problem seems to occur on large eMMCs only (so far, with bad statistics, next week I can try the 128GB eMMC).

My best guess so far ist that resizing of the file system fails on bigger cards (just guessing), destroying something in the password area.

Are there any known problems with large eMMC / uSD on Odroid C2?

Any help is appreciated.

Michael

2 hours ago, mboehmer said:

Are there any known problems with large eMMC / uSD on Odroid C2?

Yes.

On a modern kernel, which is still under testing (!), this problem (filesystem corruption)  surfaced on some eMMC cards. My 8G eMMC, which I use for testings, and few SD cards work like charm.

Hardkernel is also aware of this problem, but I am not sure if any solution exists since it was discovered two weeks ago. 

Wuha. That's really good news :(

We need a recent kernel for our DAQ system, and we need fast nonvolatile storage to buffer the run data.

My best guess was to go for 128GB eMMC, and keep a SDcard for emergencies.

So, talking business, which most recent kernel does allow huge eMMC storage?

Which size is the limit from where on we can expect "bad behaviour"?

I tested 8GB and 16GB so far, 8GB seems slow quite often, and 16GB was perfectly working.

Can you advise please?

Michael

1 hour ago, mboehmer said:

Wuha. That's really good news

And I tend to be even too optimistic sometimes :P This kernel is the best (modern) what is out there and it's unfortunately not ready for production. If you need this hardware with this kernel you need to use SD card and fast USB storage or try to hire competent people to fix those problems now and hope this is all that is critical for your case.

1 hour ago, mboehmer said:

So, talking business, which most recent kernel does allow huge eMMC storage?

Stock 3.14.y ... where large eMMC probably work just fine. 

Amlogic hired some people to do the hard job, but development takes time:

http://linux-meson.com/doku.php
Not for end users - yet!

As we have a lot of work to do before we reach our goals, this wiki is not really suitable for end users yet - there are plenty of forum communities that offer disjunct Linux/Android spins with XBMC that you may be looking for.

Instead, we use this wiki as an information archive for those developers who are working collaboratively to bring Amlogic support to the existing Linux/open-source codebases and communities.

Kernel we provide is a mixture of this work plus our, from Hardkernel and from random people. 

On 1/13/2018 at 5:43 AM, Igor said:

Yes.

On a modern kernel, which is still under testing (!), this problem (filesystem corruption)  surfaced on some eMMC cards. My 8G eMMC, which I use for testings, and few SD cards work like charm.

Hardkernel is also aware of this problem, but I am not sure if any solution exists since it was discovered two weeks ago. 

I will say, lowering the eMMC frequency in the device tree from 200Mhz to 150Mhz (Option #2 from https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=135&t=22717&sid=ded7347a42187439391dcab01e3e3245&start=700#p209636 ) seems to have fixed the corruption issue for me!

First quick test with patch: seems to work, Armbian installation and logins worked, as well as pass word changes for root.

Meanwhile I copy a huge ZIP file for checking data integrity to 64GB eMMC.

Looks good so far :)

Thanks for that patch.