[Lamobo BPi R1] Network issue / sudden reboot / quick USB UART how-to

miguipda

Hi,

as I need to use an OS allowing me to have Cozy and Gladys (both node.js) on my router (using them it as server) I tried to use armbian for the first time.

I sucessfully installed armbian on a SD Card and boot it.

My BPi-R1 is not connected to a display or other periherals (keyboard / mouse). Because I do not have those materials I sold them.

It is just connected with RJ45 and has a HDD connected on the SATA port.

I then connected my modem RJ45 connector to my BPi-R1 on the WAN port.

I connected my computer on the first port (near the WAN one).

I saw my laptop do not get an IP certainly due to the fact that LAN port seems to be manually activated.

Because I just now read your text telling that :

"BCM53125 switch configured as follows – looking at front of ports: |2|1|0|4|(LAN=manual) |3|(WAN=dhcp and bridged to enabled wireless adapter in (theoretical) high throughput mode with SSID lamobo and password 12345678"

Then if I do not get automatically an IP on my computer how could I manually configure it ?

It has no sense to activate it manually if I can at least not access the router through my LAN ports.

Ecxept if I must I do it by using wifi ?

Sincerely thanks and have a nice day.

Miguipda ;-)

P.S. : I used the Legacy version

Regarding the order you diplayed the >_Wheezy and >_ Jessie I though Wheezy was the last version but I was wrong.

Then now I will change my SD Card and change it to >_ Jessie.

I will then boot on it and check if it give me an IP and/or at least an WiFi access.

I hope I could have an access to at least use the recommended SSH use.

Have a nice day,

Miguipda ;-)

Dear Igor,

I am now on the Legacy Jessie 4.5.

As I may contact you now through this version on my BPi-R1, I just try to find how could I do what you recommend in your doc when you say :

"Login as root on console or via SSH and use password 1234. You will be prompted to change this password at first login. This is the only pre-installed user."

Since it booted I do not really know what happend because the router is sometimes lighting the ethernet ports and this router has sometimes its green led that is switch on then off.

My Debian is also saying it shutdown then restart the network connection.

It seems that even I can access internet the router seems to loop somewhere I can not know where.

If this Legacy Jessie Image is just path through (then without IP) I can not connect to the router to check access as root with SSH without IP.

My modem just said it gave an IP to my computer (that allow me to be here).

As I may access internet I will still wait some minutes to see if it becomes stable.

My modem has the IP Address 192.168.1.1 and my computer got the 192.168.1.3.

But since 10 minutes I am busy to write this comment I presume there is some problem.

Sinrecely thanks and have a nice day.

Miguipda ;-)

P.S. : It seems to loop after booting it restart booting again and again. Showing me ethernet led lighting on then off followed by a green led mother board sitched on then off. Telling me on the computer (Debian) that I lost then got back the network connection.

hello,

you will need a cheap USB to UART (3.3V TTL) much like this one (few bucks).

http://www.amazon.com/niceeshop-PL2303HX-RS232-Module-Converter/dp/B00F167PWE/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1452978150&sr=1-5&keywords=usb+uart

So you can read exactly what is happening from boot (and you can use your laptop as a unix console over USB)

Reading your comments, I would say you have DC-IN power issues. Make sure you have a 5V/2A and good usb cables. Or, you have a bad SD card but let's see. Feel free to give a feed-back.

Hi,

@wildcat_paris :

Concerning the recommended TTL/USB I had a look to our amazon (.fr) and discovered that they do not deliver here in Belgium.

But I found one in another website and will order it today. It will take some weeks before I get it but stay tuned ;-)

Concerning the DC-IN let me tell you I bought my BPi-R1 as a complete kit and you right by telling I use a 5V/2A because it is exacly what I received in this kit :

http://e.banana-pi.fr/en/kits/29-pack-1-routeur-banana-pi-bpi-r1-avec-alimentation.html

Sincerely thanks.

I forgot to ask you if you should give me some links (in french will be easier) to know how to use this TTL/USB to check what happend at boot.

I ask this because I still never used this kind of tool. I already heard some using it but I do not know how ?

Sincerely thanks.

Miguipda ;-)

long story short... bref j'ai acheté en Europe http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00R76SCJ6(plus en stock)

voici une image du brochage des cables côté UART sur le lamobo-r1

http://tinyurl.com/j9dhldp

côté PC (Windows/Linux), j'utilise PUTTY avec le port COMXX sous windows7 (pilote windows update) ou /dev/ttyUSB0 sous linux (pilote intégré dans Ubuntu)

La console unix apparait dans putty, elle reste active pendant un reboot pour voir les trace de boot.

voilà!

in English

long story short... I have bought in Europe http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00R76SCJ6 (out of stock)

Picture of UART cables on the Lamobo-r1

http://tinyurl.com/j9dhldp

On a PC (Windows/Linux), I am using PUTTY with COMXX port on win7 (windows update to retrieve the driver) or /dev/ttyUSB0 with GNU/Linux (Ubuntu 14.04+ has the driver)

Unix shell appears in Putty, then you can reboot to watch the traces

Et voilà!

@miguipda, may I give you an advise. Get this device up and running  WITHOUT  Harddisc.

This way you can omit one point of failure - and no need of UART cable.

If you are happy with the device running, you mount the harddisk - if it fails - you know why.

If you like, in my signature is the link (Google docs) to a complete walk-through to get armbian running, like a router.

Hi,

@wildcat_paris

merci pour le brochage.

Je viens de commander ledit USB/TTL. Je devine qu'il faudra au moins une semaine (vient de chine).

Etant sous Debian, je vais donc chercher comment exploiter ce /dev/ttyUSB0 afin de vous donner le meilleur retour d'info pour comprendre ce qu'il se passe.

Encore un grand merci pour vos conseil et retour d'info.

Au plaisir d'aider aussi.

Excellente journée.

Miguipda ;-)

Tido is right ;) I thought of a power issue (DC-IN) but I am using a SSD... so I don't get a power/current surge @startup, so no reboot! Also I am using a Raspberry pi 2 power supply, I am ok.

the USB UART cable will still be useful, especially when you get in trouble, "unbricking" the board without swaping sdcards AND learning how boards / u-boot / kernel is working

Have fun time with the Lamobo-r1 and Tido precious pieces of data! Feel free to post an update :)

Hi,

I just got my USB/TTL connector.

I quickly test it without HDD, without connecting it to my computer (with RJ45) and without connecting it to my modem (with RJ45).

One thing I realized is the fact I can not copy/paste the Putty display. Then I will use the program RecordMyDesktop to show you what really happen.

I will target my tests to tell you explain each try and what happen for each case. Without then with HDD, Modem then Computer connection. And will see the given IP Address.

Till I got the login prompt I succeffully connected as root and when exit it shutdown/reboot automatically. Perhaps it will then need an update for this reason.

Tell me if I need to give you some files content when I succeffully login.

Have a nice day,

Miguipda ;-)

One thing I realized is the fact I can not copy/paste the Putty display. Then I will use the program RecordMyDesktop to show you what really happen.

PuTTY has non-standart (for Windows) copy-paste logic: when you select text in PuTTY window, it is copied to clipboard automatically; to paste text to PuTTY session, use right mouse button click.

You can read more in the official FAQ.

Edit: Also in settings you can increase scrollback buffer size and enabling logging to file, which may be useful.