[WiP / Orange Pi One] Support for the upcoming Orange Pi One?

tkaiser

I can try to run that fix and enable AV port video and audio, but think about thousands of non-coders, ordinary people who are getting a non-working device, and the getting popular Armbian just "doesn't care" about them. They will ask question: "WHOM do you care about, if not US?"

People are not pleased even with pitch perfect solutions so this is more like a rhetorical question. I just can jump on every wish / issue. To cook fine Armbian we need methodical approach. I care that users enjoy our creations and I also want to encourage them to participate and have fun with it.

Let's move this off topic to other:

I am always open for suggestions to make things different way. I am not saying my approach is the best or most perfect but sometimes I am (we are) just not in a coding mood or I am (we are) simply doing on strategy and can't focus much on tiny things and vice versa.

@Igor

Can you explain your "methodical approach"? What are its priorities?

From an engineering viewpoint Igor's approach definitely is the BEST. To build a house, you need a foundation, some walls and a roof - interior decoration will make it liveable.

Considering the "premium Chinese" support by Xunlong/Allwinner, Armbian is quite a marvel. From what I gather from the discussions on the forum, kernel 4.x is being pushed.

This will unleash the inherent potential of the H3 boards and make it much easier to find proper drivers for a broad range of peripherals as well.

This will unleash the inherent potential of the H3 boards and make it much easier to find proper drivers for a broad range of peripherals as well.

Can you be more specific what "inherent potential" will be unleashed with 4.x? :o

Also, I was under impression, vanilla 4.5  kernel thus far has minimal device driver support if any. Am I wrong?

@zamar19

I am a simple man and I love stably running boards 7x24 with no hassles. As to peripherals, drivers etc.. I test them - actually I give a *%&? about what should work. If it works, it works. So far I am successfully using Openelec and Armbian_5.05 with legacy kernels on OPI ONEs, both wired and wireless. Thinclient access of linux hosts from Armbian/x2goclient is performant and low-power LXDE-desktops via XRDP are fun to run on smartphones, tablets or notebooks. Tested real life performance is better than on Raspi A+/B+/2.

I do understand that the Armbian team may not be too enthusiastic about patching all the broken drivers/firmware for all the broken hardware for vendors circumventing the rules of GNU software. The "inherent potential" in 4.x will simply be a stable basis. No more and no less. Thanks to the Armbian team for keeping up the good work ! Maybe you could invest some of your time and efforts to remind Xunlong/Allwinner about their obligations to the guys that turn their half-baked cookies into real usable products.

My best guess is, Steven might have paid loboris ones to prepair a series of working images for OPI line. I do support your notion about paying dues to Armbian team as well, and possibly other distro authors, but success chance may jump a little if you address it directly to Steven Zhao, who seems to be "everything" man in this small company.   :) He didn't seem to reference Armbian on their website.

Hi,

Another feedback about my testing :

-Playing 720p movie is fine from usb flash. Around 50% on each core with ffplay in fullscreen 720p.
-Use a Lipo battery instead 5Vcc supply is fine in short range : 4.25V minimum to boot the board (fully battery!).
Stable use at 3.9V while running es2gears, maybe less without my poor "header connector" and short cable...just an option for prevent sdcard corruption after supply loss and make time enought to shutdown properly. Usb Hardrive don't start with that low voltage, wireless RT5370 and usb flash are working fine.

I agree with "methodical approach". Need stabilty in first goal.

Thinclient access of linux hosts from Armbian/x2goclient is performant and low-power LXDE-desktops via XRDP are fun to run on smartphones, tablets or notebooks. Tested real life performance is better than on Raspi A+/B+/2.

Do you success an installation of x2go server on armbian?

There is no package ready and there is a lot a dependancy to compile...If someone did the job, need help :)

Do you success an installation of x2go server on armbian?

There is no package ready and there is a lot a dependancy to compile...If someone did the job, need help :)

Nope - just x2goclient on Armbian. Successfully installed xrdp/tightvnc on OPI ONE and accessed it via rdesktop client from linux and aRDP from android.

For graphical access to OPI ONE running remotely through firewalls, I tunnel and relay the rdesktop-session via ssh/x2goserver running on a x86 server.

see http://forum.armbian.com/index.php/topic/1044-remote-desktop-fun-with-armbian-505-on-opi-one/

I have a question about error messages with the Orange Pi One using Armbian_5.05_Orangepih3_Debian_jessie_3.4.110_desktop.

On the Orange Pi One, I get these errors in the kernel log (dmesg):

[  993.251167] [cpu_freq] ERR:set cpu frequency to 648MHz failed!
[ 1146.035749] [ARISC ERROR] :message process error
[ 1146.035780] [ARISC ERROR] :message addr   : f004b840
[ 1146.035794] [ARISC ERROR] :message state  : 5
[ 1146.035807] [ARISC ERROR] :message attr   : 2
[ 1146.035820] [ARISC ERROR] :message type   : 30
[ 1146.035833] [ARISC ERROR] :message result : ff
[ 1146.035845] [ARISC WARING] :callback not install
[ 1146.035861] [cpu_freq] ERR:set cpu frequency to 720MHz failed!
[ 1146.335676] [ARISC ERROR] :message process error
[ 1146.335705] [ARISC ERROR] :message addr   : f004b840
[ 1146.335721] [ARISC ERROR] :message state  : 5
[ 1146.335735] [ARISC ERROR] :message attr   : 2
[ 1146.335749] [ARISC ERROR] :message type   : 30
[ 1146.335763] [ARISC ERROR] :message result : ff
[ 1146.335776] [ARISC WARING] :callback not install
[ 1146.335792] [cpu_freq] ERR:set cpu frequency to 648MHz failed!

On the Orange Pi PC, these errors do not occur.

I'm curious what I might need to do.  I have used h3disp to enable my HDMI-to-DVI cable with "h3disp -m 720p60 -d" and my kernel version is 3.4.112-sun8i.

Thanks!

@Zamar19

We enabled a lot of 3rd party devices but we don't manage a list of supported devices. Just give it a try and if it don't work, explore and provide use more information - which switch do we need to enable in configuration:

which https://github.com/igorpecovnik/lib/blob/master/config/kernel/linux-sun8i-default.config

@aegrotatio

I would say this is due to wrong board detection (known problem - we are working on it) - check where is your /boot/script.bin linked to? 

@igor

I noticed wrong board detection for OPI ONE on two occasions when doing a fresh Armbian install. In both cases a Realtek wifi dongle was attached and the board was identified as OPI PLUS. Reflashing and reinstalling without the dongle solved the problem.

@igor

I noticed wrong board detection for OPI ONE on two occasions when doing a fresh Armbian install. In both cases a Realtek wifi dongle was attached and the board was identified as OPI PLUS. Reflashing and reinstalling without the dongle solved the problem.

Yes, we are aware of this. We are planning to drop this auto detection since it's not reliable. This means each board will have it's own unique image.

There was too much other things with this release so it was postponed.

Yes, we are aware of this. We are planning to drop this auto detection since it's not reliable

We should add in big letters to download info that disconnecting peripherals (especially WiFi dongles and USB hubs) on first boot helps resolving most of the auto detection problems until this is resolved.

We should add in big letters to download info that disconnecting peripherals (especially WiFi dongles and USB hubs) on first boot helps resolving most of the auto detection problems until this is resolved.

done.

Hi,

I was able to compile upstream kernel for orange pi h3 with ethernet patches from https://github.com/montjoie/linux/tree/sun8i-emac-wip (patches were applied without any issues). Board successfuly starts, ethernet works, dmesg reports some errors . All changes can be found at https://github.com/balldir/lib/tree/h3_mainline_upstream. Is there any list of tests to check "build acceptance" ? I need spi and i2c working for my project, so I will be grateful if someone points me out to avaliable patches for spi and i2c (I saw few in https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/linux-sunxi , but haven't tested them yet).

I have a question about error messages with the Orange Pi One using Armbian_5.05_Orangepih3_Debian_jessie_3.4.110_desktop.

On the Orange Pi One, I get these errors in the kernel log (dmesg):

[  993.251167] [cpu_freq] ERR:set cpu frequency to 648MHz failed!
[ 1146.035749] [ARISC ERROR] :message process error
[ 1146.035780] [ARISC ERROR] :message addr   : f004b840
[ 1146.035794] [ARISC ERROR] :message state  : 5
[ 1146.035807] [ARISC ERROR] :message attr   : 2
[ 1146.035820] [ARISC ERROR] :message type   : 30
[ 1146.035833] [ARISC ERROR] :message result : ff
[ 1146.035845] [ARISC WARING] :callback not install
[ 1146.035861] [cpu_freq] ERR:set cpu frequency to 720MHz failed!
[ 1146.335676] [ARISC ERROR] :message process error
[ 1146.335705] [ARISC ERROR] :message addr   : f004b840
[ 1146.335721] [ARISC ERROR] :message state  : 5
[ 1146.335735] [ARISC ERROR] :message attr   : 2
[ 1146.335749] [ARISC ERROR] :message type   : 30
[ 1146.335763] [ARISC ERROR] :message result : ff
[ 1146.335776] [ARISC WARING] :callback not install
[ 1146.335792] [cpu_freq] ERR:set cpu frequency to 648MHz failed!

On the Orange Pi PC, these errors do not occur.

I'm curious what I might need to do.  I have used h3disp to enable my HDMI-to-DVI cable with "h3disp -m 720p60 -d" and my kernel version is 3.4.112-sun8i.

Thanks!

Hello I get this error too, no display no any other hardware installed. I downloaded image for Orange pi one  http://www.armbian.com/orange-pi-one/. At start session on PyTTY I see Orange pi one 

@aegrotatio

I would say this is due to wrong board detection (known problem - we are working on it) - check where is your /boot/script.bin linked to? 

I copied /boot/bin/orangepione.bin to /boot/script.bin but still get error. Please help

Thanks

if anyone have this problem read this http://forum.armbian.com/index.php/topic/715-tutorial-orange-pi-h3-fix-thermalstability-problems/,

Did any of you manage to get RTL8189ETV wifi chip working? I don't own any board with such chip but I received reports that it doesn't work (Plus image on Plus 2). It seems that following is needed to make it work:

[module_para]
lpo_use_apclk = "losc_out"

Can anyone confirm this?

EDIT: It seems that I just mix up RTL8189ETV and RTL8189ES, which seems to be the same. But there is one new wifi chipset if I'm not wrong?

That's all what's in the log if adding this ... 

[    4.792193] RTL871X: module init start
[    4.792210] RTL871X: rtl8189es v4.3.10.1_13373.20150129
[    4.902166] RTL871X: module init ret=0

I got my boards yesterday and haven't got a chance for deeper look. 

Orange Pi 2e with 8189es.

If I understand correctly, Orange Pi Lite comes with a new wifi chipset RTL8189FTV. I checked "official" Android image for it and this setting is the only difference. I'm curious if this is really necessary to make it work. I suspect that it uses same wifi driver as older boards.

Hello I get this error too, no display no any other hardware installed. I downloaded image for Orange pi one  http://www.armbian.com/orange-pi-one/. At start session on PyTTY I see Orange pi one 

I copied /boot/bin/orangepione.bin to /boot/script.bin but still get error. Please help

Thanks

if anyone have this problem read this http://forum.armbian.com/index.php/topic/715-tutorial-orange-pi-h3-fix-thermalstability-problems/,

You have to modify a definition of [cooler_table] and [dvfs_table] of script.bin by making reference to here.

http://linux-sunxi.org/Orange_Pi_One#Compatibility

You have to modify a definition of [cooler_table] and [dvfs_table] of script.bin by making reference to here.

http://linux-sunxi.org/Orange_Pi_One#Compatibility

Nope, what I've written to the wiki back then is outdated. I also made a mistake prior to 5.10 release so until 5.11 has been released (yesterday) a manual fix would've been required as outlined here: https://github.com/igorpecovnik/lib/issues/284#issuecomment-216655399

Since 5.11 has been released all you've to do now is the usual

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade