Latest update makes Beelink X2 unbootable

Raylynn Knight

I've been using a Beelink X2 with Armbian for some time now booting from eMMC.   I ran an "apt update; apt upgrade" on the box early on 01/14/2018 and a reboot was suggested at the end.  The system did not successfully reboot after this update and it appears that it doesn't recognize uboot on the eMMC.   At the time I had other pressing matters so I set it aside to work on today.   Today I downloaded the latest image Armbian_5.34.171121_BeelinkX2_Debian_stretch_next_4.13.14_desktop.img, verified it and successfully wrote the image to a 16GB microSD card.  This successfully booted the X2, I then did an "apt update; apt upgrade" on the microSD card and rebooted.  This then resulted in an un-bootable SD card!   Something in the latest update is causing an issue with uboot on the X2.  I'm now rewriting the original image to the microSD and will attempt to determine what update is causing the issue!

linux-u-boot-beelinkx2-default=5.35 , which gives U-Boot prompt of:

"U-Boot SPL 2017.09-armbian (Nov 22 2017 - 13:55:46)"

will boot Linux kernel (I'm currently running  linux-image-sun8i=5.37.180112).  Anything AFTER that version will not boot a Linux kernel.  Complains about missing files.  I didn't capture [debug serial] output of "bad" u-boots.  But I can if anyone needs them.

I currently have installed "linux-u-boot-beelinkx2-next       5.34.171121" which boots and runs correctly.  apt upgrade is offering "linux-u-boot-beelinkx2-next/stretch 5.37.180119 armhf [upgradable from: 5.34.171121]" which I know from experience will result in an un-bootable situtation.