1366x768 HDMI Orange Pi PC Plus?

Rollmeister

Hi Everyone.

I intend to use this sbc with a hdmi to lcd controller (not yet arrived).

I noticed the predefined resolutions do not include 1366x768. I tested on a smart tv and I with the closest resolution of 1360x768, there was a vertical purple line on the left. I could probably live with the slightly lower resolution, however if the purple line appears on my final setup, how do I remove this or is there anyway to run the full 1366x768?

I have tried 1280x720 in windows and it blurs the text so that seems to be out of the questions for me.

Regards,

Rauli

50 minutes ago, Rollmeister said:

I noticed the predefined resolutions do not include 1366x768.

You mean predefined resolutions for old BSP kernel 3.4? Mainline kernel should in theory support all resolutions, albeit in practice some may not work correctly.

52 minutes ago, Rollmeister said:

I tested on a smart tv and I with the closest resolution of 1360x768, there was a vertical purple line on the left.

How did you test that?

If you go with mainline image, it should work. But then, mainline images for H3 are considered WIP and thus not directly supported, e.g. you are on your own with issues. If you go with old BSP 3.4 kernel, you have to patch the kernel to add your resolution. Procedure was already explained on this forum.

Ok. I will try find it. I did a search for "1366" before and did not come up with much.

I tested on a smart tv with a hdmi cable, using the desktop image. That is where the vertical line on the left appeared.

I would use a mainline image, as long the web browser performance is the same and it was stable. I intend to do a lot of web development work on it. Do not care about video acceleration.

Thank you for the reply.

40 minutes ago, Rollmeister said:

I did a search for "1366" before and did not come up with much.

I meant how to add custom resolution to BSP kernel in general, not this resolution specifically.

43 minutes ago, Rollmeister said:

That is where the vertical line on the left appeared.

Did you use latest sunxi-next kernel with this patch included: https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/master/patch/kernel/sunxi-next/09-dw-hdmi-add-workarounds.patch ?

44 minutes ago, Rollmeister said:

I would use a mainline image, as long the web browser performance is the same and it was stable.

I don't know about this. I guess you have test it and decide for yourself.

Thank you for the patch link. I just have to work out how to apply this diff. I am not developer or anything, but usually can figure things out with enough time.

This patch is not for linux 3.4? I am going to stick to legacy, at least i know it has some 2d acceleration.

I found https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/master/patch/kernel/sun8i-default/0026-h3-hdmi-additional-mode-800x480p-from-lobodis-initia.patch

But I do not know what values to put in for the timings with 1366x768. Also I might expect some problems with X11 or Xrandr or whatever, because 1366 is not divisible by 8? Seems more trouble than its worth.

4 hours ago, Rollmeister said:

This patch is not for linux 3.4?

No, it is for mainline.

But I do not know what values to put in for the timings with 1366x768.

Please read this thread for some explanation how to get right numbers.

Also I might expect some problems with X11 or Xrandr or whatever, because 1366 is not divisible by 8?

I really don't know.

Thank you again for the replies. I was mistaken about the 1366 divisible by 8 thing, it seems to be an older linux nvidia driver that does not support this and x11 is ok with it.

My hdmi to edp board came dead on arrival. Merchant sent the board in plain bubble wrap and not in anti-static bag.

I will report how I go with it in a couple weeks when my replacement board arrives.