I2S and MiQi devices

Myy

Greetings,

I recently had a request about testing the I2S and SPDIF output of MiQi devices and after some fiddling on this board, it seems that the Rockchip I2S + Simple-Audio ALSA driver just output nothing on the I2S TX/RX pins, at least.

So was anyone able to output sound directly through the I2S GPIO pins on any RK3288 device ? Tinkerboard devices seems to use that setup and it seems to be working, but I'd like to know if that's working through the soldered Jack or the GPIO.

The Tinker Sound thread is actually showing the mainline I2S is not working.  I think a look at the ASUS 4.4 kernel may be needed in this case.  My test early on running a 5102A I2S DAC from the GPIO was with the 4.4 Rockchip-curated kernel.

There's an issue with miqi device tree, no sound nodes are defined. The following part is missing in /arch/arm/boot/dts/rk3288-miqi.dts:

sound {
		compatible = "simple-audio-card";
		simple-audio-card,format = "i2s";
		simple-audio-card,name = "DW-HDMI";
		simple-audio-card,mclk-fs = <512>;

simple-audio-card,dai-link@0 {  /* I2S - S/PDIF */
			format = "i2s";
			cpu {
				sound-dai = <&i2s>;
			};
			codec {
				sound-dai = <&hdmi>;
			};
		};
       }

nitroshift

[mention=4652]TonyMac32[/mention]

miqi wasn't mainlined in 4.4.

nitroshift
You don't say?!? We provide the vendor kernel based image as well, which is 4.4. I know better than to assume anything based on the thread name, and thought I'd get clarification.

Thank you for the PR, I'll test it later today, glad to hear you've had success otherwise with the mainline image.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

[mention=4652]TonyMac32[/mention]

There's a difference between vendor 4.4 kernel and mainline 4.4 kernel  

nitroshift
We don't provide a kernel.org LTS 4.4 for Rockchip products, so I would never be referring to such a thing in these forums. :). I just changed the 4.4 source from the MiQi vendors to Rockchip directly, so there was a higher than normal chance an issue had been missed there.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk