Orange Pi Zero - iptables missing

Rajdip Patel

root@orangepizero:/boot# iptables -nL
modprobe: ERROR: ../libkmod/libkmod.c:586 kmod_search_moddep() could not open moddep file '/lib/modules/4.14.14-sunxi/modules.dep.bin'
modprobe: FATAL: Module ip_tables not found in directory /lib/modules/4.14.14-sunxi
iptables v1.6.0: can't initialize iptables table `filter': Table does not exist (do you need to insmod?)
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.

root@orangepizero:/boot# uname -a
Linux orangepizero 4.14.14-sunxi #1 SMP Thu Jan 25 12:20:57 CET 2018 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux
root@orangepizero:/boot#

Can someone help me how to fix this issue on Orange Pi Zero - 512 MB board ? I am running Armbian Ubuntu server image.

Thank you in advance.

12 minutes ago, Rajdip Patel said:

Can someone help me how to fix this issue on Orange Pi Zero

If this is not enabled in a kernel you have two options:

1. Add whatever you need to this file https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/master/config/kernel/linux-sunxi-next.config and wait for our beta or general update

2. Recompile a kernel on your own.

@zador.blood.stained

You are right. Issue was missing reboot after kernel upgrade.

Now, it's good.

root@orangepizero:~# iptables -nL
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target     prot opt source               destination         

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

root@orangepizero:~# uname -a

Linux orangepizero 4.14.15-sunxi #28 SMP Mon Jan 29 07:24:48 CET 2018 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux

Thanks

Hello, I have the same issue with an orange Pi +2, but it is not the same kernel...

$ uname -a
Linux my_domain_name.tld 4.14.14-sunxi #1 SMP Thu Jan 25 12:20:57 CET 2018 armv7l GNU/Linux

Should I try to change the kernel, to upgrade to an alternative kernel ?? I'm not sure, but it's a complication for me, I need iptables and the module to initialize my server with a Yunohost...

18 minutes ago, rodinux said:

Should I try to change the kernel, to upgrade to an alternative kernel ??

One quick solution is to use a nightly kernel which has those modules built-in. Edit /etc/apt/sources.list.d/armbian.list, change apt to beta, apt update & apt upgrade, reboot

On 7/2/2018 at 5:57 PM, Igor said:

One quick solution is to use a nightly kernel which has those modules built-in. Edit /etc/apt/sources.list.d/armbian.list, change apt to beta, apt update & apt upgrade, reboot

Thanks to reply, anyway I have a problem with the update.

dpkg: warning: unable to delete old directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.15.0-rc9-sunxi/scripts/mod': Directory not empty
Preparing to unpack .../07-linux-image-dev-sunxi_5.51.180705_armhf.deb ...
update-initramfs: Deleting /boot/initrd.img-4.15.0-rc9-sunxi
Removing obsolete file 4.14.18-sunxi
Removing obsolete file uInitrd-4.15.0-rc9-sunxi
Removing obsolete file uInitrd-4.14.18-sunxi
Unpacking linux-image-dev-sunxi (5.51.180705) over (5.38) ...
Preparing to unpack .../08-linux-image-next-sunxi_5.51.180705_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking linux-image-next-sunxi (5.51.180705) over (5.41) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /tmp/apt-dpkg-install-UBxcRF/08-linux-image-next-sunxi_5.51.180705_armhf.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite '/boot/System.map-4.17.4-sunxi', which is also in package linux-image-dev-sunxi 5.51.180705
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Preparing to unpack .../09-linux-stretch-root-dev-orangepiplus_5.51.180705_armhf.deb ...
Leaving 'diversion of /etc/mpv/mpv.conf to /etc/mpv/mpv-dist.conf by linux-stretch-root-dev-orangepiplus'
Unpacking linux-stretch-root-dev-orangepiplus (5.51.180705) over (5.38) ...
Preparing to unpack .../10-linux-u-boot-orangepiplus-dev_5.51.180705_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking linux-u-boot-orangepiplus-dev (5.51.180705) over (5.38) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /tmp/apt-dpkg-install-UBxcRF/08-linux-image-next-sunxi_5.51.180705_armhf.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Remove all our packages that gives you problem and install those:

apt install linux-image-next-sunxi linux-dtb-next-sunxi linux-headers-next-sunxi linux-stretch-root-next-orangepiplus linux-u-boot-orangepiplus-next

17 minutes ago, Igor said:

Remove conflicting packages and repeat the procedure. You have more than one kernel installed and it must give you troubles.

Thanks, I have try to remove other kernels, but I am still booting on s

9 minutes ago, rodinux said:

Thanks, I have try to remove other kernels, but I am still booting on s

Start with a clean image. 

Ok, I will try doing a new installation. Perhaps I have something wrong also with the old installations on the emmc card ? When I install the image, I use nand-install to boot on the sd card and the system / on a external sata, but it seems that old kernels still exist on the mmc, it is possible ?? Do I have to clean something ??

18 minutes ago, rodinux said:

Ok, I will try doing a new installation. Perhaps I have something wrong also with the old installations on the emmc card ? When I install the image, I use nand-install to boot on the sd card and the system / on a external sata, but it seems that old kernels still exist on the mmc, it is possible ?? Do I have to clean something ??

Boot from SD and install to eMMC. This will nuke your eMMC so you don't need to do nothing.

1 hour ago, rodinux said:

do I still need to edit the armbian.sources.list to get a nightly kernel with beta ?

It depends. If you start with a nightly image, you don't need, otherwise you need.

Ok, thanks, this time I have configured my host and yunohost with a 5.51.180705 nightly Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch) 4.17.4-sunxi, it works !

I will use nand-install after have reconfigured my backports...

Oups, I have trouble again after an update. The new kernel updated:

$ uname -a
Linux rodinux.fr 4.17.4-sunxi #57 SMP Thu Jul 5 18:17:54 UTC 2018 armv7l GNU/Linux

and it seems that iptrables has gone away with this update:

$ sudo iptables -nL
modprobe: ERROR: ../libkmod/libkmod.c:586 kmod_search_moddep() could not open moddep file '/lib/modules/4.17.4-sunxi/modules.dep.bin'
modprobe: FATAL: Module ip_tables not found in directory /lib/modules/4.17.4-sunxi
iptables v1.6.0: can't initialize iptables table `filter': Table does not exist (do you need to insmod?)
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.

Next time I will fixed the kernel which match to do not have more trouble... how can I come back to the previous kernel ? Do I have to install all another time ?

38 minutes ago, rodinux said:

Next time I will fixed the kernel which match to do not have more trouble... how can I come back to the previous kernel ? Do I have to install all another time ?

You can review a kernel config https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/master/config/kernel/linux-sunxi-next.config and submit things which you miss/need. Then grab the latest kernel from a beta repository. This means switching to nightly repository + reboot. Than just update kernel since you are already on a beta repository. If you want to get back to 4.14.y switch to the stable repository with armbian-config. We still have 4.14.y as latest there, but it will be switched to 4.17.y/4.18.y as soon as major functions work on all supported boards.

I still have some troubles when I upgrade my system. The new release of the next kernels sometimes seems to make the same issue with the modules for IPv6. Now my solution is to switch again on the kernel 4.14.18-sunxi using armbian-config => Other = switch to another kernel and go back to the kernel 4.14.18-sunxi stable.

But I still have the message to update my kernel...

$ apt list --upgradable

En train de lister... Fait

linux-dtb-next-sunxi/stretch 5.67 armhf [upgradable from: 5.41]

linux-image-next-sunxi/stretch 5.67 armhf [upgradable from: 5.41]

I am not sure to try again if it will expose me to the same issue...

Do I have to fix the kernel with the option Freeze on armbian-config ? If I do so, could I come back to update the kernel again ??

Why this message told me upgradable from: 5.41 as when I boot, I can see this:

Welcome to ARMBIAN 5.60 stable Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch) 4.14.18-sunxi

I don't understand also why after doing an update before to a new kernel 4.14.70 and after a reboot it was still a 4.14.18-sunxi kernel ??

I have try to defreeze the kernel. Next, I begin with issues, the same issue with iptables. I just understood that the armbian firmware was upgraded, but not the kernel which always stay on 4.14.18-sunxi. So I try to install a kernel which correspond to the version of armbian... After I make a mistake, I have click on Other swith to Nightly kernels. It has upgraded  the armbian on 5.83.190502 nightly.

To try coming back to the stable version I have edited the file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/armbian.list to come back at stable version with '''deb http://apt.armbian.com'''

But it still booting with nightly version. I have choose again the kernel 4.14.18-sunxi and Freeze the updates for the moment.

But how can I rollback to a stable version of armbian ??

In the docs I see:

Nightly - switch between nightly automated beta and stable builds

But when I Freeze the system, I haven't the option

Other switch between nightly

Do you think It possible by this way: Defreeze, click on other switch nightly, to come back at stable ??

or it is possible editing some files ?

10 hours ago, rodinux said:

But when I Freeze the system, I haven't the option

That is normal. You can't switch kernel if upgrade has been frozen.

10 hours ago, rodinux said:

Do you think It possible by this way: Defreeze, click on other switch nightly, to come back at stable ??

It should go this way. You might need to go one menu up and choose system settings again ... not sure, but yes, it should work. 

But since you can't update, your system might be broken. What about providing armbianmonitor -u logs ?

Hello,

I don't know why a part of the posts are missed. So I have Defreeze the kernels via armbian-config. I have installed a new lasted kernel for linux-image-next-kernel via Switch others kernels. But I still booting on the kernel 4.14.18-sunxi. Perhaps the matter is when you accept Switch, a message told you may have problems booting. Can I found how to boot on the last kernel ?

I have anyway an update like this

$ sudo apt upgrade

Lecture des listes de paquets... Fait
Construction de l'arbre des dépendances       
Lecture des informations d'état... Fait
Calcul de la mise à jour... Fait
Les paquets suivants seront mis à jour :
  linux-dtb-next-sunxi linux-image-next-sunxi
2 mis à jour, 0 nouvellement installés, 0 à enlever et 0 non mis à jour.
Il est nécessaire de prendre 21.4 Mo dans les archives.
Après cette opération, 13.3 ko d'espace disque supplémentaires seront utilisés.
Souhaitez-vous continuer ? [Y/n] o
Annulation.
conectinux@rodinux:~$ sudo apt upgrade
Lecture des listes de paquets... Fait
Construction de l'arbre des dépendances       
Lecture des informations d'état... Fait
Calcul de la mise à jour... Fait
Les paquets suivants seront mis à jour :
  linux-dtb-next-sunxi linux-image-next-sunxi
2 mis à jour, 0 nouvellement installés, 0 à enlever et 0 non mis à jour.
Il est nécessaire de prendre 21.4 Mo dans les archives.
Après cette opération, 13.3 ko d'espace disque supplémentaires seront utilisés.
Souhaitez-vous continuer ? [Y/n] y
Réception de:1 https://apt.armbian.com stretch/main armhf linux-dtb-next-sunxi armhf 5.92 [176 kB]
Réception de:2 https://apt.armbian.com stretch/main armhf linux-image-next-sunxi armhf 5.92 [21.2 MB]
21.4 Mo réceptionnés en 45s (471 ko/s)                                         
(Lecture de la base de données... 68172 fichiers et répertoires déjà installés.)
Préparation du dépaquetage de .../linux-dtb-next-sunxi_5.92_armhf.deb ...
Dépaquetage de linux-dtb-next-sunxi (5.92) sur (5.90) ...
Préparation du dépaquetage de .../linux-image-next-sunxi_5.92_armhf.deb ...
update-initramfs: Deleting /boot/initrd.img-4.19.57-sunxi
Removing obsolete file uInitrd-4.19.57-sunxi
Dépaquetage de linux-image-next-sunxi (5.92) sur (5.90) ...
Paramétrage de linux-dtb-next-sunxi (5.92) ...
Paramétrage de linux-image-next-sunxi (5.92) ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.19.62-sunxi
update-initramfs: Converting to u-boot format

But it still booting on the same old kernel...

I think the matter is on the SD card where the /boot partition on /dev/mmcblk0p1 look like this on my computer:

$ ls /media/rodinux/cca8b465-859f-44b3-a832-e1de3f6766d2/boot/
armbianEnv.txt                  dtb.old
armbian_first_run.txt.template  initrd.img-4.14.18-sunxi
boot.bmp                        overlay-user
boot.cmd                        System.map-4.14.18-sunxi
boot-desktop.png                uInitrd
boot.scr                        uInitrd-4.14.18-sunxi
config-4.14.18-sunxi            vmlinuz-4.14.18-sunxi
dtb                             zImage
dtb-4.14.18-sunxi

In the SD card, there are also all the files of the first installation of debian strecht, but I have use nand-sata-install to use copy the server on an external sata disk, the SD card is only here for booting...

Can I erase all the others files ?? can I manually change the directory /boot from my computer like explain on the documentation: https://docs.armbian.com/User-Guide_Advanced-Features/#how-to-unbrick-the-system

Or is it possible found why it don't works ? I am afraid to broke all...

I also see this on my /boot partition on the sata disk /dev/sda1 where the system is working

$ ls /boot/
armbianEnv.txt                  dtb-4.19.62-sunxi
armbianEnv.txte                 dtb.old
armbianEnv.txt.out              initrd.img-4.19.62-sunxi
armbian_first_run.txt.template  overlay-user
boot.bmp                        script.bin
boot.cmd                        System.map-4.19.62-sunxi
boot.scr                        uInitrd-4.19.62-sunxi
config-4.19.62-sunxi            vmlinuz-4.19.62-sunxi
dtb-4.17.4-sunxi

Perhaps I just have to copy all these files on the SD card ? Can I do that and how ?

I have others issues I have to understand.

This is my fstab

$ cat /etc/fstab
# <file system>                    <mount point>    <type>    <options>                            <dump>    <pass>
# tmpfs                        /tmp        tmpfs    defaults,nosuid                            0    0
UUID=cca8b465-859f-44b3-a832-e1de3f6766d2
# partition boot sur SD
UUID=0bd18549-75f4-48a5-a29e-41d9c10701c4    /media/mmcboot    ext4    defaults,noatime,nodiratime,commit=600,errors=remount-ro,x-gvfs-hide    0    1
/media/mmcboot/boot                             /boot        none    bind            0       0
# partition / sur sda1
UUID=53745c47-3b92-45ee-9f98-3e6297e40b97    /        ext4    defaults,errors=remount-ro                                            0    1
# Partition swap
UUID=b8261aeb-c028-4368-9def-a1296ff74a50       swap            swap    sw                                                                      0       0

So my /boot is mounted on /media/mcboot/boot here.

But I found this strange:

$ ls /media/mmcboot/boot/
bin   dev  home  lost+found  mnt  proc  run   selinux  sys  usr
boot  etc  lib   media       opt  root  sbin  srv      tmp  var
$ ls /media/mmcboot/boot/boot/
armbianEnv.txt                  dtb.old
armbian_first_run.txt.template  initrd.img-4.14.18-sunxi
boot.bmp                        overlay-user
boot.cmd                        System.map-4.14.18-sunxi
boot.scr                        uInitrd-4.14.18-sunxi
config-4.14.18-sunxi            vmlinuz-4.14.18-sunxi
dtb-4.14.18-sunxi

Why, the files are on the directory /media/boot/boot ??

Can I change the fstab to boot from the external HD sda1 ? and forget the boot from SD card or emmc ?