Installing XFCE4 Desktop Help

happyzax

I have been trying to install a minimal XFCE4 desktop environment onto my Orange Pi Zero 2+ H5 but have run into a weird issue.  Here is the command I use...

sudo apt-get -y install xorg lightdm xfce4 tango-icon-theme gnome-icon-theme

which I had found elsewhere in the forums.  The main issue I have is that I cannot start the desktop with the normal user account.  It works if I startup with this...

sudo startxfce4

which runs the root user desktop, but fails when I try to run it as just a user.

Does anybody know what I have done wrong? 

Apparently I was WAY OFF!  Based on what I could find in lib/configuration.sh and lib/desktop.sh the packages I needed to install are more like this...

xserver-xorg xserver-xorg-video-fbdev gvfs-backends gvfs-fuse xfonts-base xinit x11-xserver-utils xfce4 lxtask xfce4-terminal mirage thunar-volman galculator hexchat gtk2-engines gtk2-engines-murrine gtk2-engines-pixbuf libgtk2.0-bin gcj-jre-headless xfce4-screenshooter libgnome2-perl gksu network-manager-gnome network-manager-openvpn-gnome xfce4-notifyd gnome-keyring gcr libgck-1-0 libgcr-3-common p11-kit pasystray pavucontrol pulseaudio paman pavumeter pulseaudio-module-gconf bluez bluez-tools pulseaudio-module-bluetooth blueman libpam-gnome-keyring libgl1-mesa-dri mpv libreoffice-writer libreoffice-style-tango libreoffice-gtk policykit-1 fbi profile-sync-daemon cups-pk-helper cups mesa-utils mesa-utils-extralightdm lightdm-gtk-greeter thunderbird chromium-browser language-selector-gnome paprefs numix-gtk-theme system-config-printer-common system-config-printer-gnome mate-utils ubuntu-mate-welcome mate-settings-daemon

Note... there are more packages in the above list than are really necessary, but at the same time none of the nice desktop tweaks Armbian Desktop are included.

I found the information here in the comments for this thread.... Thanks Zador..