How in Armbian Ubuntu Desktop to add a script to startup?

buratino

I'm trying to follow the instructions for ubuntu, but I do not have success.  I added the script /etc/init.d/, executed sudo chmod ugo + x /etc/init.d/script.sh, and then executed sudo rc-update add script.sh, but got the output:
sudo: rc-update: command not found.  
What do i do?

23 minutes ago, buratino said:

I think systemd is just as bad a solution as pulseaudio.  Is there a way to get rid of systemd and return to init.d?

We almost ditched systemd but at the end, we decided to stick to it. Perhaps you just try with some generic systemd -> init.d instructions? I would say creating a systemd service would be a simpler way.

Well ...

Until now, I always get rid of systemd when I install a distro. You could have a look at :

http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_remove_systemd_from_a_Debian_jessie/sid_installation

But you will end up with "upstart". You will have true init.d scripts but some esoteric management tools.

I also think systemd and other stupid gnome things have nothing to do on boards which are not powerfull enough to serve as a full desktop system ? (Last in date : accountsservice ?!?)

1 hour ago, buratino said:

Every time I have a problem this is either a systemd, or pulseaudio.

I can understand your pain but most of the problems we are facing in making Linux for single board computers are in kernel/u-boot area. We are doing only minor changes to stock Debian/Ubuntu userspace and are in many cases forced to follow upstream decisions since we are still low on manpower. Our support is also focused on specifics board problems and not general Debian which is better to search for/ask here: http://forums.debian.net or by using Google like mentioned before.

4 minutes ago, Igor said:

I can understand your pain but most of the problems we are facing in making Linux for single board computers are in kernel/u-boot area. 

For which I express to you and the community many thanks!

And what about the programs? Support for the ARM architecture is provided by the Debian community?

4 hours ago, buratino said:

And what about the programs? Support for the ARM architecture is provided by the Debian community?

Actually no. Programs are usually architecture/distribution independent and support is provided by their authors:

38 minutes ago, arox said:

It looks like systemd is more an upstream-upstream-upstream problem ...

The way how packages are put together is an upstream problem, while our modifications and work on top of this are ours.

7 minutes ago, Igor said:

Actually no. Programs are usually architecture/distribution independent and support is provided by their authors:

Most of the programs that I use depend on architecture and do not run on ARM. For example, the program for administering IP cameras Onvif Manager. With a favorite single-board I can not manage my video surveillance system.

11 minutes ago, buratino said:

Most of the programs that I use depend on architecture and do not run on ARM. For example, the program for administering IP cameras Onvif Manager. With a favorite single-board I can not manage my video surveillance system.

If you have sources, you can try to compile for ARM otherwise you have to workout with app authors - it is their problem if they don't support ARM. There is nothing we can do about. Well, there is an option to run other architectures under emulators (qemu). Also, it is possible to run 32bit x86 binaries (almost) out of the box on every our desktop build with https://eltechs.com/product/exagear-desktop/ ... you can install trial version within armbian-config

For example, Skype is running good enough on Odroid XU4. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__HKvtiOSTY

1 hour ago, Igor said:

it is their problem if they don't support ARM

This is my problem, this is my board. I can compile only what has open source code. I have an increased interest in a virtual machine on a banana pi, I'm hoping for a performance octa core

This is my problem, this is my board.

Today, boards are usually selected upon use case. As I said, trying to run on an emulator. x86 apps also work on dual-core Banana Pi with A20 but definitely not video related features.

I'm hoping for a performance octa core

Stay away from Bananapi M3 ... it has a badly supported kernel and this won't change soon. You need stability first then (good) core(s) count. If Odroid XU4 won't do the job, you have to wait that more recent and more powerful boards get better software support (kernel).

2 hours ago, buratino said:

And why can not you use the old releases on init.d?

I dont understand what you mean by "old release". It is not just "init.d", but the init program itself, the inittab file, the log system ans all the script in init.d and rcX.d (as well as some other parts) that need to be maintained by the distributor (debian).

Anyway, if you just need startup scripts, place them anywhere (for example /usr/local/bin) and call them in "/etc/rc.local" (*). All the "init.d" stuff or systemd services has wery little interest for the end user or administrator of an uniq machine. It is just for the distro maintainer that it is usefull. Whenever you are scripting for just 1 host, dont bother with all that crap !

(*) just make the script executable, and remove the '-e' flag for the shell in /etc/rc.local that some morons may have put there ...

On 07.02.2018 at 5:42 PM, Igor said:

Stay away from Bananapi M3 ... it has a badly supported kernel and this won't change soon. You need stability first then (good) core(s) count. If Odroid XU4 won't do the job, you have to wait that more recent and more powerful boards get better software support (kernel).

I found a working operating system for banana pi m3! This is an assembly of ubuntu mate 16.04 from the site http://www.banana-pi.org/downloadall.html, but I did apt remove mate. And I installed lxde, now I have a stable banana kernel.