Keyboard issue with Debian stretch next 4.14.14

lagerschaden

I downloaded Armbian_5.38_Debian_stretch_next_4.14.14 for the orangepi-one and startet armbian-config. In dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration I changed the layout to german-german but it has no effect, the layout remains to the international layout (qwerty etc).

If an armbian-config method does not work, you have to try the usual (Debian) way. It is possible that our method does not work in Debian Stretch but works only in older Debian version. This way:

https://www.google.com/search?q=change+keyboard+language+debian+stretch

... and when you find out why try this. It will help all of us.

I got this "problem" only on a local terminal via HDMI-Monitor and USB-keyboard and not via ssh/putty.

The last one where I did see the keyboard problem was on my Sunvell T95K Pro (TV Box) unser armbian.

I also did use pkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration, but got US-Keyboard also after a reboot.

I dont know any more if I did try it later via armbian-config, but some reboots/apt-updates later I did get a german keyboard without doing anything else.

A bug is definitely Debian Stretch related since changing console keyboard works fine on Ubuntu Xenial with the correct command:

dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration

console-lang.png

HDMI out, changed keyboard layout in the middle from German to Slovene. It works.

I'll try to find it and resolve.

I had the same problem. After some googling and reading, I found the following (abbreviated) solution and explanation:

In /etc/console-setup there are "cached…" files, whose time-stamp might preclude the script that should execute setupcon from actually doing this.

I deleted all "cached_...." files in /etc/console-setup and then rebooted - suddenly my armbian-config of the keyboard was working.