MariaDB 10.x super slow

steve-ks

Dear all,

so after switching from bananian to armbian around half a year ago, I've made several updates to the bananapi server running. As the prototype server is still running with bananian, some problems just occured as I am now testing a fresh install of my web-package, including nginx, mysql, php7 / laravel and some other stuff.

So what I realized was that the database, even on a fresh install, is extremely slow. I thought the newer setup with debien stretch and mariadb 10.1+ might be the problem, yet running the same on the older armbian jessie build did not change anything. I also set up a fresh virtual machine running debian stretch with two cores, 1GB of ram imitating a bananapi board.  I've created a database, loaded in a mysql_dump file (around 650 lines including comments) and checked the time. Took less than 3 seconds on the virtual machine, on the old bananian image running on our prototype server this file takes 5 seconds. With a fresh armbian installation (downloaded newest image two hours ago) running on the same hardware the dumpfile takes something like half an hour. 

The SD cards are fine, I tried different ones. The mariadb configuration is exactly the same as the one a fresh debian package uses.

The only problem I can still think about might be some disk I/O or permission problems with armbian. Does anybody has any suggestions here ? Actually this problem makes the whole setup not usable anymore. A full database restoration process running normally in less than a minute now takes an hour.

Here are the MariaDB variables from the database, though I did not change any configuration.

Thanks for any help !

Edited by steve-ks

18 minutes ago, steve-ks said:

I'll test the nightly build and keep you informed.

Actually, you only need to update. The stable repository has been updated since some other problems were fixed.

apt update & apt upgrade + reboot

So far I retried everything, from nightly build upgrade to completely reinstalling (with database files removed) mariadb server. Right now it does not seem that anything changed. Yet I can break the whole issue down to the database storage engines. I activated profiling and checked for the database routines consuming all the time. There are some problems in closing tables when there are table modification queries, e.g. creating a table. 

I checked out the average table creation time for following combinations of system, database and db-engine:

image.png.81d2f38bb55ffbaec5b90b041c1be35e.png

So as for bananian the same problem occurs after updating the database this does not seem to be an armbian problem. Yet this is still a very strange behavior. I am wondering if there is a problem with the sunxi-headers. For the moment my solution seems to switch to MyISAM tables.