Rockchip RK3399

constantius

hi

rk3399 is being very popular chip. Firefly 3399 was launched on August last year.  Now Orange pi RK 3399 is launching.  Pine now are preparing Pine RK3399. the same also is doing HanrdKernel - Odroid N is expected on august this year. 

Short Question. Are you preparing Armbian for RK3399? Are you interested in this chip.

best regards

As with any SoC that shows up in multiple products, we are of course looking at it.  Official support takes time with the resources at hand, and I know that I for one don't even have a device yet.  We tend to focus on boards that are less than $100, as most people are in that market, so the Firefly didn't get a lot of attention.  Now that it looks like nearly all the major players are going to make these boards, it will be given more attention.

This is going to be an interesting year with all those new RK3399 boards, and we will probably learn a lot more about the capabilities and limitations of that SoC than before. Even if the Firefly RK3399 has been around for a while, I have not really seen/heard  a lot of reports as to how complete the BSP/mainline drivers and what the issues in general are... that being said, almost no day goes by where there are not RK3399 patches on the mainline patchwork system...

Iam the owner of Firefly RK 3399... I have installed on it Flint OS ( Chromium clone ). I also have Atom powered WINTEL single board Atom X5-Z8300 Quad-Core 1.440MHZ   1840Mhz with Claud Ready ( Chromium clone ). Performance is almost equal. both 2 GB RAM and boot from eMMC memory ROM. I have tried to install Xubuntu delivered by Firefly but it was very unstable on RK3399. This chip is optimized for chromium...

No compering to allwinner chips like A64, H6 etc. You can surf over internet much more more better... 

my experience. H96 board with rk3399.

Take the distro from Orangepi site, dd it on the SD-card. insert and turn on power. It is running.
Later, the kernel changed (recompiled by me) to
root@localhost:~# uname -a
Linux localhost 4.4.114 #11 SMP Mon Mar 12 08:46:26 UTC 2018 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

The problem is with dtb file: partially it works.
USB2 is ok, HDMI is ok, Ethernet is ok.
But:
[ 0.809301] cdn-dp fec00000.dp: Direct firmware load for rockchip/dptx.bin failed with error -2
(file dptx.bin present)

So, USB3 (and DP) is off (both type-C and normal USB3 blue socket; it works in Android on the same board; dtb file taken is the same as in Android distro).
Also, I cannot check AV output and ALSA shows only SPDIF, that has no controls.
I think the only need is any correct dtb file to work with the board.

26 minutes ago, Slack said:

[ 0.809301] cdn-dp fec00000.dp: Direct firmware load for rockchip/dptx.bin failed with error -2
(file dptx.bin present)

Do you have those two things enabled?

CONFIG_FW_LOADER_USER_HELPER=y

CONFIG_FW_LOADER_USER_HELPER_FALLBACK=y

I have bought Orangepi RK3399 via aliexpress. On orangepi www site are img's files of linux dabian 9 and ubuntu 16.04. But this file not full system img that can be flash via RK_Android_Toll. They are precompiled rootfs files. According to the manual i have downloaded Linux4.4_SDK and build kernel ./build/mk-kernel.sh rk3399-orangepi. I also build uboot ./build/mk-uboot.sh rk3399-orangepi. i used existed roofs file debian9 and compile img system file ./build/mk-image.sh -c rk3399 -t system -s 4000 -r out/debian9.img. Then i entered hardware to the maskroom mode and ./build/flash_tool.sh-c rk3399 -p system -i out/system.img. Finally i flashed system.img to the emmc memory. But when i plug in device i have black screen. Nothing is booting. Others people have the same problem. Something must be wrong with the precompiled roofts files or Linux4.4 SDK. People ask on orangepi forum about this problem but forums' admin say only "do things according to the manual". I must say manual is not clear. No other support from orangepi. Do you plan to build armbian for orangepi RK3399 device?

23 hours ago, Igor said:

Do you have those two things enabled?

yes.

# Generic Driver Options
#
CONFIG_UEVENT_HELPER=y
CONFIG_UEVENT_HELPER_PATH=""
CONFIG_DEVTMPFS=y
CONFIG_DEVTMPFS_MOUNT=y
# CONFIG_STANDALONE is not set
# CONFIG_PREVENT_FIRMWARE_BUILD is not set
CONFIG_FW_LOADER=y
CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL=y
CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE=""

Looks like kernel is not patched correctly. For example. DWC modules are from future kernel versions, thus it is not possible to compile. Phy infustructure may be not correct with USB3 too.

Also, no correct dts files: board has Longsys LTM8830 wi-fi/bt chip.

I think, that I can decompile dtb file (for android, that is working well), and create one for Linux. But I have no dtb/dts file for the board and no working android firmware found.

does the company plan to support one of the computers in rk3399? There are a lot of them now. RockPRO64 has linux support. The less known VideoStrong Meecool also offers debian 9 which works nicely. Firefly, say, also has support but the software has an error that turns off the computer when changing time. The rest is at an early stage of development ...