Tinker Board stuck in CLI mode and won`t boot to desktop

Eli Gold

Hello all,

i have a pressing problem requiring urgent help.  I am currently conducting  my thesis with the Tinker Board and i have the Armbian Ubuntu desktop with the legacy kernel running. I noticed when i try to boot the system, it takes approximately 25 minutes to show the Login request in the CLI and after that, it creates the user account but instead of proceeding to the regular desktop page, it gets stock there and does not proceed. I will please like to know if anyone has an idea of how to solve this issue as i urgently need it to get running fast to run the tests needed for my thesis. Thanks.

Ah... I wonder if this is what happened to me. Maybe if I'd left it long enough the CLI would have appeared. I'll give it another go. If I get a CLI I'll run armbianmonitor -u

UPDATE: I left it on for several hours and checked it again, but no output on HDMI. I disconnected the power, then reconnected, and thought I had a black screen, when in fact I had output. On the quad HD screen, the login console is tiny at the top left! I barely noticed it.

Unfortunately I can't run armbianmonitor -u since my keyboard won't connect on this version of the kernel. It works on the mainline version though.

23 hours ago, Eli Gold said:

Hello all,

i have a pressing problem requiring urgent help.  I am currently conducting  my thesis with the Tinker Board and i have the Armbian Ubuntu desktop with the legacy kernel running. I noticed when i try to boot the system, it takes approximately 25 minutes to show the Login request in the CLI and after that, it creates the user account but instead of proceeding to the regular desktop page, it gets stock there and does not proceed. I will please like to know if anyone has an idea of how to solve this issue as i urgently need it to get running fast to run the tests needed for my thesis. Thanks. 

23 hours ago, Eli Gold said:

Hello all,

Just an update on the raised problem. In my initial setup, i had a hyperion emeter connected to a 20A shunt. on the load side i connected the tinkerboard and on the battery side of the shunt, i connected  5v, 3A DC power charger . I noticed i had the aforementioned problem when running this setup. But when i disconnected the shunt and connected the tinkerboard directly to the DC charger, the problem was solved and the board functioned properly. I am guessing the shunt was preventing the board from getting sufficient power needed to transition from the CLI to the Desktop. But this opened up another problem for me. I know this is a little off topic but i will please need suggestions on how to accurately measure the power consumprtion of the pi. I just ordered a usb multimeter.Do you think it will do the job accurately?Please find attached relevant images.

emeter.jpg

multimeter.jpg

multimeter4.jpg

That should be adequate, verify it's accuracy with a dummy load to make sure.

As for the shunt, how were you reading it with the Tinker board that allowed a power disturbance of that type?  Nevermind, misread.  ;-)

Sat Feb 24 02:30:12 UTC 2018 | Tinkerboard | 5.41 | armhf | armv7l | 4.4.115-rockchip

I have install image ubuntu and have change resolution to 1920x1080 and not working the screen say "analogique Coupure 67.5Khz / 60Hz" (flatron w2242tq). if i don't change the resolution it's work for 800x600 75Ghz and 1280x720 60Ghz but not for 1920x1080 60Ghz. I can't be sure but this screen if I remember work on vga with 1920x1080 with this converter so it should not be a hardware probleme.

At fist boot i need to acces to the board with ssh because the console don't work on display and said the same message.
(I am on a 120v 2.5amp with awg 20 so it's not the probleme for me)

maybe it's come from
[drm:dw_hdmi_rockchip_set_property] *ERROR* failed to set rockchip hdmi connector property
[drm:hdmi_config_hdr_infoframe] *ERROR* Not support DRM Infoframe
when I start xorg i go a error "could not found tinkerboard_dri.so" and i don't have the dri folder in lib too.

Someone can help me to solve the missing dri lib too. i am not sure if i need to compile/install the lib from rockship github or not.

Now http://ix.io/QLe

but 1280x720 work ... so it's correct and not a big probleme but i want to get it work later.

I already talk about it there: https://forum.armbian.com/topic/6506-tutorial-3d-and-video-acceleration-in-rk3288-boards-with-new-44-default-kernel/?tab=comments#comment-49879